Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Oilers 3 Flames 0

https://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/10/...rs-3-flames-0/
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now I understand what Treliving meant when he said recently that what keeps him up some nights is whether or not the Flames will score enough goals.

What ever happened to Gaudreau's compete level?
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I miss the Sutter/Iginla era when the Flames franchise actually gave a #### about the Battle of Alberta. The current team obviously doesn't care. Embarrasing to lose yet again to Team McLottery.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of hate on the first line in the PGT for not generating offense, and I didn't like that Johnny's entry was identical every time, but it is good to see that their Corsi at least shows they were generating more than they were giving up.

Monahan scores in the second and I think the Flames win this, a little confidence and swagger was what they needed. Feels like the game plan vs the Oilers is fear McDavid and adjust to him. Maybe they need to just say F%^& McDavid and force him to adjust to their game.. which by the way is not this weak dump and chase with one forechecker.

Jagr is going to be just what Bennett needs.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Put it this way. We played like absolute garbage, and it took the best player on the planet to beat us.

Smith is the real deal. Fix the tire fire that played in front of him and move forward.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that this will be a different team when we get last change, at least for the start of the season.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, that was just not as bad as everyone is making it out, not good for sure but the venom in the game and post game threads is ridiculous. I had to start the game way late after reading the game thread and most of the stuff being thrown about was just ridiculous.

Reminded me of parent goggles during evaluations.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Bingo, who's writing Game Takes with you this season?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Now I understand what Treliving meant when he said recently that what keeps him up some nights is whether or not the Flames will score enough goals.

What ever happened to Gaudreau's compete level?
JG is not suited for a dump and chase game.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Lots of hate on the first line in the PGT for not generating offense, and I didn't like that Johnny's entry was identical every time, but it is good to see that their Corsi at least shows they were generating more than they were giving up.

Monahan scores in the second and I think the Flames win this, a little confidence and swagger was what they needed. Feels like the game plan vs the Oilers is fear McDavid and adjust to him. Maybe they need to just say F%^& McDavid and force him to adjust to their game.. which by the way is not this weak dump and chase with one forechecker.

Jagr is going to be just what Bennett needs.
This game would be an example of the flaws in Corsi. Quality scoring chances are far more important than lobbing shots in the general direction of the net.

If Corsi showed monahan/Gaudreau winning last night it is obviously wrong.

You think that if the one Flames scoring chance goes in the Flames win?

The Oilers had more than 10 great scoring chances and Smith won all but 2.

The Flames one chance should have gone in?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do Brodie and Hammonic get to play against the other teams top line all of the time?

Is that the plan?

Are Hammonic and Brodie that much better a shut down pairing than Gio-Hamilton?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #12
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I agree that this will be a different team when we get last change, at least for the start of the season.
Unfortunately the flames only have 41 home games this year out of 82.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
This game would be an example of the flaws in Corsi. Quality scoring chances are far more important than lobbing shots in the general direction of the net.

I didn't say the one chance should have gone in, I said if it did then the complexion of the game would most likely have changed. Smith set the team up for a steal and a confidence boost like a goal could have been a huge momentum swing. The Flames hung around all game and just needed that spark. I think based on how the tide was turning in the second that a goal would have given that push.

They were positive corsi not because they generated a lot of quality scoring chances but they didn't allow any. The first line may have seemed behind and losing the line matchup but they also didn't surrender any quality scoring chances. All of the quality chances came at the expense of the third and fourth lines. We need offense out of the top line but the corsi shows they weren't the steaming pile of excrement the PGT makes them out to me.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

So much wrong with this ...

First off nobody said anyone was winning.
Corsi can't be wrong any more than the weather can be wrong. It just is.

When you break down last night, I don't think anyone is saying the Flames played well. They didn't. But the fact of the matter is that McDavid beat the piss out of the third line and the second defense pairing and not Gaudreau Monahan line.

G/M were ...

1-0 in high danger events against the Lucic/NH/Little guy line
2-1 vs the Larsson/Russell pairing
1-1 Klefbom and Benning
2-3 against the McDavid line

not a glowing night, but now owned

The third line was 0-8 against the McDavid line and that's only in 4 minutes of action. That's almost hard to do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I didn't say the one chance should have gone in, I said if it did then the complexion of the game would most likely have changed. Smith set the team up for a steal and a confidence boost like a goal could have been a huge momentum swing. The Flames hung around all game and just needed that spark. I think based on how the tide was turning in the second that a goal would have given that push.

They were positive corsi not because they generated a lot of quality scoring chances but they didn't allow any. The first line may have seemed behind and losing the line matchup but they also didn't surrender any quality scoring chances. All of the quality chances came at the expense of the third and fourth lines. We need offense out of the top line but the corsi shows they weren't the steaming pile of excrement the PGT makes them out to me.
They shut down the oilers grinders.... got it
Old 10-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few thoughts on game #1.
Told my brother yesterday I truly did not expect much out of the game.
For me the finished roster is not complete as I feel there's definitely two players missing that will change the look of the forward group. Jagr and Jankowski.

What I did like to see is the goalie keeping the team in it for 58 minutes. Something we haven't seen in the first 5 games of a season in a long time. If Smith can even be 75% of what he was last night, the Flames are in really good shape going forward.

Brouwer got a bunch of hate but I think that was primarily because of whipping boy Bias, the sloppy play was a major shortcoming of all forwards not named Bennett or Tkachuk. and Tkachuk still looked a little lost. But Brouwer was no worse than at least 5 or 6 forwards.

That was a preseason game in my estimation and in the end, it was a tight game all the way around despite the team not having it's feet under them. Hopefully the see what Smith is going to do and it will inspire them to get rolling much sooner than later.

I'd also like to say that while Monahan and Gaudreau have been a rock solid pairing for a few years now, It's high time to move Johnny to Bennett's wing. I think teams have picked up on the Pairing and will be more effective shutting them down than at any time in the past. Swapping the Centers early will give Monahan a chance to climatize playing with mew linemates and make them better.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
They shut down the oilers grinders.... got it
Actually I don't think you do
Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #18
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great write up Bingo.

I’m trying to be less emotional when it comes to the games, but it’s hard not to say things like “trade Brodie” after a crappy game or “fire Glen” for his odd line selections. So it’s kind of nice in the light of day to stay a little more level headed.

On the positive side Smith was fantastic. If we get nights like that somewhat consistently that’s going to be huge. The 4th line was also very solid and 3M had a lot of chances and we’re good defensively. Unfortunately McDavid is dominant and I think the only was to limit his chances is to have a guy like Backlund shadow him the whole game. Obviously that’ll be easier with last change. The top line and the whole defense were average-below average. It’s hard to get any offense going when you’re constantly just defending the McDavid line, but I suspect we’ll se vintage Johnny-Mony in the next game. Im assuming Gulutzan will try to stick with the same top line for awhile, see if they recapture their chemistry but having Bennett-Gaudreau and Monahan-Tkachuk as an option is nice. I don’t know what to say about Brodie, but he’s just not the same caliber of defenseman when he’s on the left side. Hopefully more time with Hamonic will sort that out. Brouwer is just bad and honestly I’d take Jagr out of game shape ahead of Brouwer in game shape.

It’s hard not to be depressed losing to the Oilers AGAIN but I still think this is a team that is going to win more often than not and is just going through the typical Calgary Flames slow start.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #19
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Smith was much better than I anticipated considering how bad the rest of the team was. I saw glimpses of greatness from Hamonic, Tkachuk and even Bennett last night, which is also encouraging.

The bad being that this team appears to be in another one of its 'no-one is on the same page' funks that we saw at time last year. The last 12 months have shown horrifying glimpses at how bad Guadreau and Monahan can be when they are out of it and last night was no exception. As far as I'm concerned, it is on the top line to pick this team up and avoid yet another terrible October that buries this team before it even gets going. It is simply not enough for these two to not get beat up as some are suggesting. They are supposed to be the leaders offensively and should be able to generate more than one or two chances even if they're having an off night.

I really hope we see the Jagr we are all expecting in the next few days as the offensive side of things is just not up to par with what will be required of a top team in the west right now.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Do Brodie and Hammonic get to play against the other teams top line all of the time?

Is that the plan?

Are Hammonic and Brodie that much better a shut down pairing than Gio-Hamilton?
Is it really too much to ask you to check your spelling before firing your posts into the ether? It only takes a minute, and it greatly improves my own disposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote