Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #201
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Whoa guys, do I need to bump my blackface thread?

Wear an Arabian prince costume with face paint in 2001 = everyone hates you.

Rape a woman in 2003 = doesn't matter, good basketball player. He probably made up for it or didn't do it again or something.

I'm confused.
It's really quite simple, he's dead, so if you don't have anything nice to say you keep your mouth shut
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #202
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It's really quite simple, he's dead, so if you don't have anything nice to say you keep your mouth shut
Silly argument.

What about historical figures with death tolls in the millions? Or Jeffrey Epstein?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #203
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Silly argument.

What about historical figures with death tolls in the millions? Or Jeffrey Epstein?
I might express an opinion about Epstein's death or the politics around the case but no, if someone here was a massive admirer of Epstien and genuinely upset he was dead I would shut my mouth, there is nothing to be gained by upsetting someone over a dead person.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #204
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Epstein's victims? He's dead so we just forget them and force them to suffer in silence? Don't let them talk bad about the dead!

#### that. Instead we should continually hammer home how awful of a person Epstein was, let his victims know we support them.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #205
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What about Epstein's victims? He's dead so we just forget them and force them to suffer in silence? Don't let them talk bad about the dead!

#### that. Instead we should continually hammer home how awful of a person Epstein was, let his victims know we support them.
In the unlikely possibility I meet one of his victims I would be massively supportive, in the equally unlikely possibility I met his family member I would keep my mouth shut.

The idea is to not pointlessly upset anyone
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #206
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
In the unlikely possibility I meet one of his victims I would be massively supportive, in the equally unlikely possibility I met his family member I would keep my mouth shut.

lol, dude. You can't just make up rules. You don't have to say anything negative about a deceased person if you don't want to, but that isn't some objective rule we all have to follow. You're being ridiculous.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #207
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, dude. You can't just make up rules. You don't have to say anything negative about a deceased person if you don't want to, but that isn't some objective rule we all have to follow. You're being ridiculous.
It's not a rule, a question was asked, that was my answer, but anyone is free to be a p**** if they want.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #208
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a rule, a question was asked, that was my answer, but anyone is free to be a p**** if they want.
haha, get a load of this guy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #209
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Strange take. I have no problem speaking ill of the dead when its deserved.

Epstein, Michael Jackson, etc. etc.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #210
Flames007
Draft Pick

R.I.P. to my favorite player ever! 🐍 Mamba for Life 💔
Flames007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #211
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
First off, that was Kane. Not Kobe.

Second, alleged rape victims are not the defense.
Ahhh yes... confusing my cases, you right. It's been too long
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #212
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I think we can all agree that no one should attend Kobe's funeral to insult the guy while his friends and family mourn. We're just talking about it on an online forum.
Quote:
Does that extend that to the victims though? I mean, if you're an Epstein rape survivor and people started talking about what a stand up role model he was, pretty easy why his victims would be upset about that.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #213
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
Well, I would a few differences are:

-For Kobe, the rape accusation was not a repetitive event.

-There was an effort by Kobe not to victim shame, he tried to understand where the victim was coming from, but rather defend his belief that his recounting of the events was different.

-he did apologize and admit that regardless of whether it was consensual, that it was not appropriate for a myriad of reasons

-He faced the music and the trial, and was not found guilty. We don't know exactly what happened, and since then he did make a lot of efforts to advocate for women

-There was no more smoke that followed him in his personal life. He was very well respected from those close with him, and did not have other accusations of him abusing power

So its not really clear to me if he did anything illegal, or if it was a one off mistake. He faced it, and has bettered himself, and been a valuable member of society, including being a good father to his girls. People make mistakes, and we shouldnt label people black and white.

Ultimately, he was a person that touched a lot of people in a real positive way, and is simply someone that everyknow knows and has connected with in some way.

As far as the Trudeau stuff, thats just a different conversation with a different context, that IMO, has no place in this topic.
A lot of this is just plain wrong.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #214
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I share thoughts with Sliver about this, but rather than just piling on..

I think funerals are bull####. I don't remember some buddy as the best person in the world and all the amazing things he did. I remember him as sometimes being an insensitive ####### in a funny way. I remember being annoyed when he was always late. That's part of who he was.

So why the hell would we sit there and pretend he's perfect when imperfection was part of who he was. I want to remember the person, not some dumb made up image of a person.

Now here's the problem with celebrity deaths. We have no idea who he was. All we see is his celebrity presence that his PR team has carefully crafted. Just another reason mourning over any celebrity, let alone a potentially ####ty one, is stupid.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #215
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Now here's the problem with celebrity deaths. We have no idea who he was. All we see is his celebrity presence that his PR team has carefully crafted. Just another reason mourning over any celebrity, let alone a potentially ####ty one, is stupid.
Everyone thought Kirby Puckett was the greatest guy in the world, but then:

https://www.si.com/vault/2003/03/17/...-more-shocking

None of us really know what celebrity people are really like.

Last edited by troutman; 01-29-2020 at 02:54 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #216
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good people do bad things
Bad people do good things

Which of those was Kobe? I have no idea.
I was never a big fan of him as a player. I admired his skill but felt he was selfish at times. I try not to guess if a pro athlete is a good person or not, but certainly the rape altered my view of him further.

In more recent years I felt more connected to him, because of the joy he seemed to take in being a "girl dad" (as I am too)

My sadness for this incident is largely based on
- the horror he must have felt being there with his daughter
- his remaining family and children
- the other victims and their families

I think he was a good dad. And I think he did some good things in this world. That counts for something
But he also did some horrible things. Or at least one very horrible thing.
So that also is on his ledger.

How it all totals up - i have no idea.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 01-29-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #217
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I’m very much mourning Kobe’s passing. But the Colorado stuff is something I’ll never defend him from. He did improve and mature after that, but if people want to hate him forever for what he did, especially victims of sexual assault, they honestly have the right to do so. Yeah he become a more decent person afterwards, but it doesn’t excuse his actions during that time period. I know it’s likely hard to see victims of sexual assault seeing Kobe being mourned by so many people knowing what he did, but at the same time it’s Kobe fricken Bryant. One of the most iconic athletes of all-time. The impact he left was bigger than just basketball. I just hope that those people can at least see that or at the very least feel for the other victims and his daughter that where lost and their families.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #218
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I share thoughts with Sliver about this, but rather than just piling on..

I think funerals are bull####. I don't remember some buddy as the best person in the world and all the amazing things he did. I remember him as sometimes being an insensitive ####### in a funny way. I remember being annoyed when he was always late. That's part of who he was.

So why the hell would we sit there and pretend he's perfect when imperfection was part of who he was. I want to remember the person, not some dumb made up image of a person.

I haven’t been to many funerals where those details were dodged and not shared by the best friends. They usually are light moments where everyone shares a chuckle because they were treated that way, too.

But I agree, mourning over someone who couldn’t say your name if you ran into them on the street is just messed up. Especially when there’s probably people who are lonely and in need of love and connection right inside your own family or close circles. Spend your emotional effort where it matters, Jesus.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:

Tags
basketball , bryant , helicopters , kobe , lakers