Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #2481
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I have a sharkebite on my water feed to the hot water heater, going on 6 years with no problems.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #2482
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have been kind of hesitant to use sharkbite fittings in past DIY repairs just because they seem to be a kind of new-ish item. Are they really up to snuff compared to crimp fittings and solder? Is there a long enough history to say that these are reliable for, like the life of the plumbing?
I've used them in the past during a kitchen reno, used them to temporarily cap off the incoming hot/cold lines from the basement. They held without a drop for 2 months.

Guy at the hardware store said he has the premade assemblies I bought on his HWT permanently so it seems to be working for him.

But I too have concerns over the long term. I'm sure they are fine but would rather solder on a proper connection.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-20-2020 at 12:03 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #2483
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used 3 for a really awkward shower install. I just couldn't get the copper angle correct soldering. It was at least 5 years ago, no problems at all. Still not sure I'd bury them in a wall (I have access to 2/3 of them through a hatch, the 3rd I could get to if I really had to). I'd still much prefer to solder, but I think they have their uses. From everything I have read they are being used pretty extensively now. Whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure. If mine ever let go it's just unfinished space below with a floor drain, so I felt OK using them there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #2484
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have several that are past the ten year mark with no issues. I've used them for hot and cold, and to do a repair in a boiler system. I swear by them. If you don't damage them while installing they should last a long time. I guess it's possible the o-ring will leak with age but I highly doubt it.

Solder is way more prone to issues during assembly, cold joints, porosity, etc. as it is a technique.

I'm not trying to slag soldering or anything, I've done tons of it and it's definitely the way to go if all the stars align, but I wouldn't hesitate to install a sharkbite and forget about it.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #2485
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

One issue solved, on to the next one.....

I have an older furnace from the late 70's, early 80's. Blower motor is making a weird noise and running hot, think it's on they way out.

I've replaced the motor a couple times in the past but usually bought them at Rona, the Lowe's that's now in it's place doesn't seem to sell them.

Anyone know of a company that sells similar replacement motors?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #2486
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Scona Electric if you’re in Edmonton area.

Last edited by Geraldsh; 01-27-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #2487
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, I'm in Calgary though.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #2488
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You know, for a few thousand more, you can have a whole new furnace? Probably more efficient too.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #2489
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

James Electric, probably the best electric motor shop in Calgary. They should be able to help you.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #2490
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
You know, for a few thousand more, you can have a whole new furnace? Probably more efficient too.
Nooooooooooo thank you. Much prefer the older ones.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #2491
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Nooooooooooo thank you. Much prefer the older ones.
That’s not really going all the way

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #2492
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One issue solved, on to the next one.....

I have an older furnace from the late 70's, early 80's. Blower motor is making a weird noise and running hot, think it's on they way out.

I've replaced the motor a couple times in the past but usually bought them at Rona, the Lowe's that's now in it's place doesn't seem to sell them.

Anyone know of a company that sells similar replacement motors?
I would try AMRE Supply. I bought a replacement part for my furnace there. https://www.amresupply.com/
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #2493
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Princess Auto.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #2494
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Princess Auto.

haha, just came in to post I found exactly what I was looking for at Princess Auto.

Don't know why I keep forgetting about the awesomeness of that place. It's like London Drugs to some extent. Great store, always forget about it.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #2495
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
PSA.....

Test your main water shutoff to make sure it works.

Especially if you're in an older home that has a gateway valve as the main shut off.

Had an incident with the valve that controls the flow of water to our hot water tank (also a gateway valve). I turned that sucker a quarter inch and water starts spraying out of it. Normally not a huge deal but after closing the main valve, water continued to fill the line making soldering impossible.

Tried finding a new stem for the existing valve body with no luck. Changing out the rubber washer also didn't work, seem like the leak was coming through the stem.

Luckily we found out about this issue in an area that was not in a finished area. If we had a blown water line in the walls with no way to fully shut off the water, a small problem would have gotten real big in a hurry.

Check your valves, operate them at least once a year to make sure they aren't seized up and fully shutting off the flow of water.
In our current house, I was going to switch out the fridge water line, so I turned off the needle vale the previous homeowner must have installed - no stop to the flow of water. Then I tried the main shutoff valve, again no stop to the flow of water.

I’m glad that trying to replace a fridge caused me to find out about my main valve not working prior to me actually needing it.

I also now have a nice ball valve main, and also have a soldered in connection to the fridge water line instead of the needle value that was there.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #2496
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I’m glad that trying to replace a fridge caused me to find out about my main valve not working prior to me actually needing it.
Exactly right.

Easy to not think about something so important. Test them now when all is fine, not when you discover a major problem and need it to work.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #2497
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at replacing the light fixture in our entry, which is open up to the second story. So a ladder doesn't seem like a feasible option (it would be very long) so I'm thinking renting scaffolding from Home Depot or similar? Changing out a fixture is simple, it's the height that complicates it. My other alternative is to hire an electrician/installer to come do it. Any CP'ers dome this recently, or any electricians out there? Just wondering what a ball park cost to have someone come in and do it would be.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #2498
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Looking at replacing the light fixture in our entry, which is open up to the second story. So a ladder doesn't seem like a feasible option (it would be very long) so I'm thinking renting scaffolding from Home Depot or similar? Changing out a fixture is simple, it's the height that complicates it. My other alternative is to hire an electrician/installer to come do it. Any CP'ers dome this recently, or any electricians out there? Just wondering what a ball park cost to have someone come in and do it would be.
I had this problem about 2 years ago.

I live in a 90's house, so we have a vaulted ceiling and I wanted to change the entry light, plus a chandelier and had to get way up high.

I ended up renting a step ladder from Home Depot and doing it myself. I think it was 12'.

I don't have a truck, but luckily I can open just the glass on my SUV so I just folded down the 2nd row seats and had the ladder stick out back with the glass up, but trunk still closed for support.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #2499
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
At that point there's a lot of general labour guys on kijiji that a small job like that would be good for.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #2500
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have an LG range. The light inside will not turn off. Does CP have a resident appliance repair person. I am not comfortable enough to swap out relays.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote