Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #881
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Anyone else tired of this new (and disgusting) fad of throwing anything on a pizza? I’m sorry but perogies, donair’s, tacos, and spaghetti should never make it’s way on a pizza. Had Royal pizza from Sage Hill on the weekend and noticed a spaghetti and meat sauce pizza...ugh.

Anyhow, ordered a pepperoni, green pepper and mushroom which was good. A tad soggy but otherwise decent. Also got a Hawaiian...sauce was a bit too sweet for my liking.
You sir are wrong.

A properly made Donair Pizza is amazing, (Bowtie Pizza do a good one).

I will also say that for all the cookie cutter pizza places, BP's Spicy Perogie pizza is completely on point.

Like most things, it is execution of the idea that is key.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #882
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never tried a donair pizza ever. I don't really understand how it could be good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #883
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've never tried a donair pizza ever. I don't really understand how it could be good.
It is fantastic. It is like an open faced donair with crispy cheese. A good donair pizza is likely my favorite pizza. Again though, get it from a donair place that also makes pizza.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #884
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Niko's is still my go-to. Amazing pizza.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #885
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Una Pizza for me: Mushroom styles is incredible with truffle oil.

Just don't like how expensive it is so need to find a place that can do something similar for cheaper.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #886
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^

But that doesn't really happen, and if it does the cheap/good company is usually out of business within a couple years. From knowing people in the business - Good pizza costs money. There's certain foods you can get away with making it well and charging a lot (greek food) , but pizza doesn't really work that way. Quality ingredients tend to make or break.

They're generally not charging a premium because they can get away with it, they're charging what it actually costs to make really great pizza and stay afloat.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #887
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Does a place like Carmine's charge $28 for a medium pizza and then beg you to come back if you like it because they can get away with charging that much? Not a chance. They want to make a truly high end pizza, successfully do that, and then charge what they have to to stay afloat.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #888
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
They're generally not charging a premium because they can get away with it, they're charging what it actually costs to make really great pizza and stay afloat.
The best pizza I've had in my life was 2-3 euro for a whole pie.

Dirt cheap... because the key ingredients of a great pizza, ie. Buffalo mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes, basil, olive oil, were all from the local region.

In Calgary if you want to get the same quality of ingredients, you have to import. Quality tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, olive oil, even good flour...you don't really get that here without a premium. Here you either have to pay up, or accept a lesser standard.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #889
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've gotten past the mental block on pizza prices. If you go to McDonalds it costs $10+ for a crappy burger & fries. A good quality large pizza should feed 3 people, at $30-$35 it's barely more expensive than McDonalds.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #890
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I grew up in the pizza business and friends and family own a bunch of the places that everybody loves in this thread. The issue we have with pizza in Canada is the cost of dairy and cheese. End of story. It's a f***** cartel out there with cheese prices.

Like clockwork once and usually twice a year the screw job comes and the price goes up. It's officially out of control and the quality of the cheese we get in Canada for the price we pay it's laughable. Some of the places in this thread, I can tell you put well over 1 lb (450g or half a kilo (500g) of cheese on their large pizza. That's a straight up $13-15 cost just for cheese, they can't price their pies like the chains which may have 125g of cheese.

High quality cheeses like the rest of the world produces are affordable, here in Canada they are not. Don't look at the prices that you see in the grocery store for the good stuff, those prices are artificially high because of supply management and limit's of dairy imports. If we did an actual comparison, that large block of what we call cheddar or mozzarella, is barely even cheese, barely food in some ways. It's probably higher priced in Canada than some of the best cheeses you can imagine in other countries.

Either way, I am craving some pizza!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #891
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The damn dairy cartel strikes again!

Give me my affordable delicious pizza!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #892
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I always knew I hated the dairy cartel, but now at least I have a reason.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #893
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I grew up in the pizza business and friends and family own a bunch of the places that everybody loves in this thread. The issue we have with pizza in Canada is the cost of dairy and cheese. End of story. It's a f***** cartel out there with cheese prices.

Like clockwork once and usually twice a year the screw job comes and the price goes up. It's officially out of control and the quality of the cheese we get in Canada for the price we pay it's laughable. Some of the places in this thread, I can tell you put well over 1 lb (450g or half a kilo (500g) of cheese on their large pizza. That's a straight up $13-15 cost just for cheese, they can't price their pies like the chains which may have 125g of cheese.

High quality cheeses like the rest of the world produces are affordable, here in Canada they are not. Don't look at the prices that you see in the grocery store for the good stuff, those prices are artificially high because of supply management and limit's of dairy imports. If we did an actual comparison, that large block of what we call cheddar or mozzarella, is barely even cheese, barely food in some ways. It's probably higher priced in Canada than some of the best cheeses you can imagine in other countries.

But...but....if the dairy industry can't protect its billions of dollars worth of resellable quota licenses, how will the the small time farmer ever get by?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #894
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

thanks for this info and to your friends and family who are clearly doing god's work

I am lucky I can afford it , in a way I couldn't as a starving student, but I will happily pay (inflated Canadian prices) for good pizza! (and always make sure I order excess, as it is far better to have leftovers than to have not enough)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #895
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
But...but....if the dairy industry can't protect its billions of dollars worth of resellable quota licenses, how will the the small time farmer ever get by?
I feel like you could substitute Oil Industry for Dairy in his post.

Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #896
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I feel like you could substitute Oil Industry for Dairy in his post.
Maybe for the opposite effect.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #897
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Maybe for the opposite effect.
perhaps, but "our economy is dead" and prices ain't dropped substantially.

Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #898
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

down with Big Cheese.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #899
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
down with Big Cheese.

You’re looking for the poutine thread.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #900
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tried Red Rock pizza in Okotoks for the first time the other day.
Went with the Pazzo and Fun Guy, 2 mediums for $35.
Will most definitely be going back.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post: