Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #481
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Had a pizza over at Richmond's pub on the weekend and it was quite good. Had the hawaiin, although they call it the Gordie Howe I think? It was also really good the next day, which is a litmus test of sorts for me!
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #482
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cal City Pizza in Redstone is good, if you're in the new NE. Good sauce and generous amounts of cheese and toppings for a pretty modest price ($15 for 14" medium).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #483
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Agreed. I stick with the Street Meat and it's great. The "wagyu pepperoni" is pretentious. Lets be honest, it's pepperoni, it's cured and salted to ####, wagyu is totally pointless.

But their execution is top notch and the crust is amazing. The core requirements of their product are phenomenal, so I love them.
It's beyond pretentious, but that's part of their schitck.

Still think it's a touch overpriced, but I can't think of a pizza I've ever craved more that POW.

I really wish they'd be open to create your own, or even accept recommendations on new pizzas. A pep/mush or a Panago style Buffalo chicken (which Panago dropped, quite possibly my fave pizza ever) would be a welcome addition to the menu.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #484
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
I live in the SW now and miss that pizza quite a lot. My only options where I am are Dominos (not terribly bad but obviously not great either), Pizza Hut (yuck) Boston Pizza (meh) and another spot that is just way too expensive (50 + bucks for two 14").
Where in the SW do you live? There's some good spots in that quadrant. Ever had Jeanne's Pizza Pantry? Delicious.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #485
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have to give it up to Pow Pizza for opening up, then thriving in that awkward Renrew location.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #486
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
Where in the SW do you live? There's some good spots in that quadrant. Ever had Jeanne's Pizza Pantry? Delicious.
Southwood. I should probably mention I honestly don't dine out ever. So I'm mostly looking at delivery options when I said there isn't much choice nearby.

Last edited by BlAcKNoVa; 01-27-2020 at 08:11 PM.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #487
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Tough to beat Dominos for the price when using their weekly deals. I refused to even consider Dominos as little as 2 years ago but have noticed that every aspect of the franchise from the food to the presentation of stores has taken huge steps.

Bow Tie in Mahogany (I am sure its the same at the other locations) is a great mix in. The donair pizza was good for 1 slice and then became too donair"y". The Chicken bacon ranch is awesome and ordered frequently in our household. It also heats up great the following day. At first, it may seem on the expensive side and then you realize that after half a pizza you are full vs eating an entire Dominos or Papa Johns pizza (speaking for myself).

I find Famosa's pizza to be underrated. They have some of the best tomato soup which acts as a great dip for the crust (I am odd like that).

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #488
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any good spots that aren’t chain near Aspen?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #489
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Tough to beat Dominos for the price when using their weekly deals. I refused to even consider Dominos as little as 2 years ago but have noticed that every aspect of the franchise from the food to the presentation of stores has taken huge steps.

Bow Tie in Mahogany (I am sure its the same at the other locations) is a great mix in. The donair pizza was good for 1 slice and then became too donair"y". The Chicken bacon ranch is awesome and ordered frequently in our household. It also heats up great the following day. At first, it may seem on the expensive side and then you realize that after half a pizza you are full vs eating an entire Dominos or Papa Johns pizza (speaking for myself).

I find Famosa's pizza to be underrated. They have some of the best tomato soup which acts as a great dip for the crust (I am odd like that).
Famosa's underrated? It's pretty highly rated in Calgary, no?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #490
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone been to Western Pizza in Cranston?

I used to work next to the Western Pizza in Dead Rear and it was a good pizza.

I hope the same can be said for Cranston location.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #491
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sophie’s close enough?
Spiros?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #492
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Famosa's underrated? It's pretty highly rated in Calgary, no?
As a chain, it is instantly dismissed by a lot of foodies.

At $18.95 for a 12" meat pizza I think it's perfectly fine, especially in the context of family friendly places. Depending on your server, it can be a very quick experience and compared to BP's it is at least 12x better in terms of taste and quality.

There are lots of better independent Pizza joints out there, but if I need one with seating in a family context that has a convienient location, Famoso is our family's pick.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #493
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sophie’s close enough?
Spiros?
those are our go-tos (West Springs). right now Sophies has a buy one get 50% off the 2nd on phone order/pickup. I find on a early Saturday night I can place the order, make the drive from West Springs (maybe with an errand en route) get the hot pie and back home with the whole circuit in an hour or less

I think mentioned on this thread or an earlier version is a A Pizza Plus on Bow around 45th- for a 'hole in the wall' pretty good pizza and value

in Aspen itself- I've got nothing.but open to learning more!
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #494
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Andaros is pretty good. Not the cheapest by any means but a good local joint (no dine in).
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #495
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are in Elbow Valley and get Sophie's as well. Sometimes we pick up but usually we just get delivery.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #496
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those asking about SW options, not sure anyone has mentioned Paul's Pizza yet but they've expanded into Calgary from Airdrie and are in the old Mr. Schnapp's location in Shawnessey. One of my absolute favourite spots.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #497
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Andaros is pretty good. Not the cheapest by any means but a good local joint (no dine in).
I don't mind Andaro's either (Cougar Ridge) - my family is divided on this one however.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #498
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
For those asking about SW options, not sure anyone has mentioned Paul's Pizza yet but they've expanded into Calgary from Airdrie and are in the old Mr. Schnapp's location in Shawnessey. One of my absolute favourite spots.
I've had it a couple times, and I think I have to stop. I can't get past the sauce. I'm thinking the flavour I'm not loving is cinnamon. I've heard of using it in a sauce before, but I don't think it's supposed to get to the point where it's the first thing I notice. And now you will too.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #499
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

domino's has become our go to place.

last week we picked up a large, medium and small pie - with extra cheese on all three for $21 (son had a coupon) - plus a couple of extra bucks for more dipping sauce.

As mentioned above, theier stores have been refreshed and the two in the deep SE are clean and seemingly well organized
Old 01-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #500
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any pizza places that has dipping sauces for the pizza can GTFO. Pizza doesn't need your extra mayo or butter based sauce to be good. If it does than it's trash.

Nothing right in Aspen, Weitz. But if you're going to go as far as Spiros (worth it) than give Jeanne's Pizza Pantry a try. They're located at 2741 17th ave SW. Good ingredients, decent prices, good crust and sauce. No dipping sauces.

Last edited by Insufficient Funds; 01-28-2020 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling fail
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post: