Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #22
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over/Under 2 years until urinals are banned in washrooms?

And the trough at bars. How have these survived in this world!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #23
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The changing norms around nudity in change rooms seems to be symptomatic of growing anxiety and neurosis. Do students even use the showers at school anymore?

It's all well and good to say just have everyone change in private enclosures. But that's not always practical. On a busy public swim at the leisure centre, there are 30-40 guys changing at a time. If everyone had to wait at some kind of private room, getting changed would go from a 5 minute procedure to a 15 minute one. The family change rooms usually have long waiting lines for that reason. It would suck if we had to reduce the capacity of change rooms by 50 per cent to cater to the neurosis of the most anxious users.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fear based PC culture controlled by a scared minority.

Let your kids play at the park alone. Help out the stranded person whose car broke down. Shower in public after your swim. Don't live in fear and silliness.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually a more efficient system, as it allows less of the building's program to be dedicated to changing.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It's actually a more efficient system, as it allows less of the building's program to be dedicated to changing.
Does it though, it forces you to have naked space and non naked space rather than just space. Unless you get rid of all benches and narrow down the walkways in the locker banks you aren't going to recover the additional space required to have private stalls for the volume of people you need.

I'd be interested in seeing two designs side by side for the same project to see which is more efficient.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
my dream of retiring.. going to the rec center daily.. strutting around with my long balls has ended on this day...
We will always have Village Square or Bob Bahan for that.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Does it though, it forces you to have naked space and non naked space rather than just space. Unless you get rid of all benches and narrow down the walkways in the locker banks you aren't going to recover the additional space required to have private stalls for the volume of people you need.

I'd be interested in seeing two designs side by side for the same project to see which is more efficient.
But you can combine the "common" spaces of the men's and women's into one space. You can combine the circulation infrastructure into one space as well.
In most locker rooms, there are already dedicated changing spaces anyway. Why not make them more permanent?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
In most locker rooms, there are already dedicated changing spaces anyway. Why not make them more permanent?
Maybe I don't go to the same change rooms as you, but the ones I go to have hundreds of lockers in one big room, with some benches. Off to the side are two or three stalls for self-conscious people to change in privately. As I noted upthread, at family swim times at the leisure centre, there are 40 or so people changing at once. It's shoulder-to-shoulder crowded. How could we divert all that activity to private rooms without reducing the rate at which people can change? Am I missing something?

And should we retrofit existing change rooms to suit this new sensibility? Last I checked, public leisure facilities aren't exactly overflowing with money. They struggle just to keep maintenance up to code, let alone carry out major structural renovations.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #30
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Maybe I don't go to the same change rooms as you, but the ones I go to have hundreds of lockers in one big room, with some benches. Off to the side are two or three stalls for self-conscious people to change in privately. As I noted upthread, at family swim times at the leisure centre, there are 40 or so people changing at once. It's shoulder-to-shoulder crowded. How could we divert all that activity to private rooms without reducing the rate at which people can change? Am I missing something?

And should we retrofit existing change rooms to suit this new sensibility? Last I checked, public leisure facilities aren't exactly overflowing with money. They struggle just to keep maintenance up to code, let alone carry out major structural renovations.
Well obviously some of the space that's taken from two sex specific change rooms is diverted into individual changing spaces.

It's a new building strategy though, not something that needs to be added to existing facilities. I'm not commenting on the underlying social issues.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #31
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

If they get rid of urinals how will I be able to tell if I'm in the right bathroom? See a urinal, mens room. No urinal, Ive misinterpreted the stupid sign on the door and wandered into the wrong room.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If this leads to an end of all the naked, old dudes who wander around the gym locker room chatting everyone up, I'm all for it.
If I don't stand with one leg up on a bench in a Captain Morgan pose drying my balls for 10 minutes, how can I be sure they're actually dry?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #33
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Why would they be a problem, it’s not like any can see any... oh god... you’re one of those people who drop their pants and underwear right to their ankles aren’t you?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #34
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

Troughs are the worse! I'm glad they aren't that common here (pretty common in Australia).

That said, the weirdest washroom ever was a bar in Australia where the wall of the trough was 1 way glass back into the restaurant.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #35
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Universal locker rooms suck!

CoC/YMCA in Quarry Park has one and compared to other YMCA's its terrible. The problem is there isnt another competitive fitness provider (how could there be when the CoC is subsidizing their facilities) that offers gym/swimming/classes for anything close to what the YMCA charges / month

I fkn hate universal change rooms.

The only thing its good for its going with children. Me and my wife will scope out and "reserve" a shower stall/change stall after our sons swimming lessons. At the new facility in Canmore they have both M/W/Family change rooms which rock for kids.

The change room at QP is also extremely cold when entering from the Pool area.

Last edited by temple5; 11-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #36
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

QP also has men’s/women’s only rooms, with their own sauna
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Troughs are the worse! I'm glad they aren't that common here (pretty common in Australia).

That said, the weirdest washroom ever was a bar in Australia where the wall of the trough was 1 way glass back into the restaurant.
I went to that bar (or there's more than one -- which is a more disturbing thought). Pretty weird to be standing there doing your business as someone walks up checking their hair/makeup in the mirror on the other side.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #38
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Universal locker rooms suck!

CoC/YMCA in Quarry Park has one and compared to other YMCA's its terrible. The problem is there isnt another competitive fitness provider (how could there be when the CoC is subsidizing their facilities) that offers gym/swimming/classes for anything close to what the YMCA charges / month

I fkn hate universal change rooms.

The only thing its good for its going with children. Me and my wife will scope out and "reserve" a shower stall/change stall after our sons swimming lessons. At the new facility in Canmore they have both M/W/Family change rooms which rock for kids.

The change room at QP is also extremely cold when entering from the Pool area.
This is my fear going from Crowfoot Y to the new Rocky Ridge. I just think the universal change rooms are gonna be a hassle. Find locker - stuff it - lock it-find changing stall-change- return to locker. When I used to have to go to the family change rooms at Crowfoot, it was a gong show. Then again, they probably were a lot smaller than what the new change rooms will be.
Edit: Just checked Y website. Will have separate male/female locker rooms as well as a universal change room. No Plus though, which sucks. My following point still stands.

And I never realized there were so many uptight young guys .... don't like us old dudes walking around, don't look.

Last edited by Dentoman; 11-16-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #39
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post

And I never realized there were so many uptight young guys .... don't like us old dudes walking around, don't look.
I just never understood the appeal of hanging around naked, in a stinky ass locker room, chatting with other random naked dudes for 30 minutes. There's also one particularly vile creature at the Y here in Vic that walks around totally naked and will come up right beside you to piss at the urinal, completely buck-ass naked and barefoot. Just disgusting on so many counts.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #40
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant (spoiler for size):

Spoiler!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: