Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who do you think would be the first to be traded?

Adding Jagr to the lineup is awesome and should help the team moving forward but the problem is that the team has more than 9 top 9 forwards. Something has to give. Sure they can put a guy like Brouwer on the 4th line until he proves he deserves otherwise. Ferland seems like an amazing add to the fourth line but is he being wasted there? Lazar has shown chemistry with Bennett and Johnny and seems to have an non-stop engine, he makes room for the others on his line and the team has shown they see him as part of the team moving forward. Janko is showing he belongs in the top 9 if not 6 and needs to be given a chance soon. Stajan seems to be a good fit on the fourth line and is a good faceoff guy, good on the PK and a good presence on the team. Glass is a fourth line guy the team thinks they need against bigger teams. Versteeg isn't a fourth line guy and has shown chemistry with Bennett too.

Something has to give. Friedman said in his 30 thoughts that he thinks Janko will be on the team soon and that just makes me think that there's something brewing trade wise. The question is who?

It would be great if the team could find a way to trade Brouwer but I don't think that's going to happen. Stajan would be the next best option for the Flames but again I don't know if there would be any takers.

I know injuries are going to happen and they'll need players to fill in and nothing will likely happen trade wise but it's just for fun... It also looks like the Flames are "going for it now" and want to shore up the RW position

If the Flames trade one of their current top 9 players, who do you think it'll be? I'm going to guess Ferland; and for extra points I'll say it's a bigger deal that involves both Brouwer, Ferland and something else for someone like Duchene, Turris, Neal or someone like that.

The Flames just seem to have too many players right now.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm hoping Brouwer but I know it is likely impossible. So Stajan.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I'd take literally anything for Brouwer. I've never said that about any player before.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Everyone is going to continue to harp on Brouwer as the obvious answer but the two biggest factors:

- he as to agree to be traded as per his contract

- someone has to want him

make that unlikely imo
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a pipe dream, but I would go for Shipachyov if he’s just going to hang out in the AHL. His contract is the same cap hit as Brouwer and a year less. As long as the sweetener doesn’t kill us I would go for it. McPhee is familiar with a Brouwer too.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

But that just puts the team in the same boat as having too many forwards. Adding Shipachyov doesn't solve the problem of Janko still needing to play. I think 2 forwards have to go.

And I don't think Brouwer will be dealt unless there's a sweetener added
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
At this point I'd take literally anything for Brouwer. I've never said that about any player before.
You'd have driven a hard bargain for Wideman, eh?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Brouwer is the guy who isn't living up to his contract. He's the guy that seems to be the non-fit.

I mean we've seen Hagman moved. We've seen Kotalik moved. We've seen Jones moved. I think Brouwer has better credentials than some of those guys. I think other teams, their scouts and GMs will have scouting reports from the past that are positive on him. I think Flames fans judge him only on his work here which hasn't been impressive but GMs and scouts will base their opinion of him in his entire body of work, his entire career. I understand why our fans think he's untradeable because we see him all the time and he's sucked in Calgary. But GMs and scouts who've seen him prior haven't erased their earlier memories of him and won't be so biased towards recent viewings of Brouwer. He's not too old. He can still skate.

All that to say that our fans are likely more down on Brouwer and value him less than veteran GMs and scouts do. Therefore I think fans underrate his tradeability. I think he's moveable if he waived his NTC. I don't think his value is high and because of the cap we'd likely have to take a contract back but I don't think we have to give up the farm to trade him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I don't see any trades. The team will attempt to hold onto their depth to deal with inevitable injuries. If we trade players now, we'll just be looking to pick up more players at the deadline. I don't see any trades, unless it becomes clear this is not a playoff team.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
It’s a pipe dream, but I would go for Shipachyov if he’s just going to hang out in the AHL. His contract is the same cap hit as Brouwer and a year less. As long as the sweetener doesn’t kill us I would go for it. McPhee is familiar with a Brouwer too.
Shipachyov is basically in the AHL for the same reason as Jankowski. He's NHL ready but McPhee has too many contracts his doesn't want to waive. Don't think they're looking to move him. Much like Jankowski they're looking to move someone else to make room for him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Limiting myself to choosing a player in the top 9 and realistically assessing where things stand, Jagr would probably be the first player to be traded from the top 9. And that would be toward the end of a season that has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I can't reasonably see any deal involving any of the Flames top 9 forwards any time soon.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Limiting myself to choosing a player in the top 9 and realistically assessing where things stand, Jagr would probably be the first player to be traded from the top 9. And that would be toward the end of a season that has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I can't reasonably see any deal involving any of the Flames top 9 forwards any time soon.
What a polite, roundabout way of saying:

"Troy Brouwer"
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #13
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The Flames just seem to have too many players right now.

Trade Brouwer.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was a given that Troy Brouwer is not a top 9 forward for the Flames at the moment. And even if he isn't, I still don't think he'd be the first to be traded. So no, I wasn't saying that in a polite, roundabout way.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote