Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #21
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd agree that guys like Klimchuk and Freddie has shown more, but I wouldn't want Klimchuk to be the one rotating in and out of the fourth line like Lazar.
Plus I don't think they'd waive Lazar after spending a 2nd rounder on him
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly I think Lazar is best served by going down to the A and getting some of his confidence back, especially offensively with the puck. He's 22. Jankowski is 23 and just now is looking to break into the starting line up. There's no need to continue rushing Curtis.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #23
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Honestly I think Lazar is best served by going down to the A and getting some of his confidence back, especially offensively with the puck. He's 22. Jankowski is 23 and just now is looking to break into the starting line up. There's no need to continue rushing Curtis.
Not an option. He wouldn't clear waivers.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #24
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking Lazar is going to be taking Stajan's job at some point.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He is definitely ahead of Hamilton and Klimchuk, IMO

Lazar is excellent defensively. But he isn't flashy doesn't put up big points, so he is clearly poised to take over as the team whipping boy, once Brouwer is finally and mercifully removed from the lineup.
I don't see it. I think Klimchuk is better on both ends of the puck and he's flashed his offensive creativity in both games that I've seen. And I think Freddie just has better offensive awareness and is pretty good on the forecheck.

Lazar seems like the perfect 13th forward imo. He has no real strengths, but no real weaknesses either.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #26
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I really like what Freddie brings and wonder what else he has to do to be full time and not sit. He needs to play.
Lazar looks good and so does Klimchuk.....I guess this is what healthy competition looks like and I remind myself we've never had this before so I just hope for the best without being to overly critical
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #27
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames gave up a second round pick to get him, and he has played 4 games so far. He put up 3 points in that time frame. Regardless of how he may have looked in preseason, I seriously doubt he is fighting for a top 12 spot and he is certainly not at risk of being exposed to waivers.

The Flames seem to think he has a lot of potential. Right or wrong he has a roster spot to lose.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #28
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Keep in mind that the guy was rushed into the NHL by Ottawa when Ottawa was pretty bare with NHL-ready prospects. Now, what we have to do is not rush him. Have him start on the 4th line, dominate that role and continue moving up if need be. If he can't, then we'll gladly keep him as a 4th liner that possibly sits out for a few games. But Lazar seems like that kind of guy that is going to seize the opportunity to improve. Don't expect a Gaudreau/Monahan learning curve, but rather one that'll take longer (like Backlund). I think patience is key with this kind of player. I am convinced too that we didn't trade him to hope he scores a bunch of points, rather for a player with 2-way upside.

I agree with this. I think it is the same situation it was with Bennett where the Flames staff want him to focus on whats important and not worry about being a hero. They know he has the ability but he just has to play well within the system "and when he is ready", he will step up just as we have seen with Backlund or likely Bennett this season. BT has mentioned on occasion that he does not want new players feeling like they need to be a hero and save the team. Last season Bennett seemed more intent on focusing on his role at center but was given the go ahead when he got to the playoffs; That is why we saw a different Bennett in the post season. I think we are seeing certain newer players eased in by design.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At this point should be in the press box like he finished off last year. Jankowski should be in the starting 12, Lazar should be an extra, since the team likely wants to avoid waivers. Seems like he still hasn't found that extra gear to make him a regular. But that's not to say he won't find it in the coming months. Takes a long time to fully recover from how sick he was at the start of last season losing that much weight. I'm comfortable slotting him into the bottom 6 when injuries arise though.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-24-2017 at 03:58 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #30
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not necessarily starting 12, but certainly will be with the team. Whether he 'deserves' to be an extra forward or not can be a debate, but I don't think that we can name 13-14 other forwards who have decidedly displaced him from the lineup. For contract reasons, and because he hasn't shown to be horrendous when compared with the competition, he will stay up, but I would be mildly surprised if he were skating on opening night based on his performance so far.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #31
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has been underwhelming in camp. You expect to see certain players giving everything they have, and Lazar should be one of those trying to get noticed. I'm not certain he's being noticeable, and that is sad when there haven't been that many noticeable performances from players trying to get noticed. I think this is the same problem Ottawa had with him.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #32
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Doesn't change what's best for Curtis. And I'm not entirely certain he wouldn't clear. I remember how terrified everyone was that Ortio wouldn't clear.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #33
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Doesn't change what's best for Curtis. And I'm not entirely certain he wouldn't clear. I remember how terrified everyone was that Ortio wouldn't clear.
We just gave up a second for him a few months ago. He has played 4 games since. Either Treliving got screwed, or he won't clear.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #34
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start him in the regular season somewhere in the bottom 9, see how he does. He was pretty good in the 4 games he played.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #35
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lazar's confidence is shot at the moment, and unfortunately did next to zero in developing within the Ottawa organization. Ottawa ran into some injuries and they placed Lazar in the NHL prematurely.

Now the Flames are in a bind with Lazar somewhat. He needs playing time to get his game back on track. Though he may never have had the ceiling of a 1st line player, he definitely had the capability of being a strong 2nd line center given his offensive acumen in junior. Will he get back to that level? How much will he develop?

I think the Flames would be wise to be patient with him. He is fast, he has some sandpaper to his game, and like others have mentioned, he seems to be fairly reliable defensively. Hopefully he can pick up his offensive game and be a real solid 2-way player for the Flames. I do believe that if the Flames show some patience, they can be rewarded with a really strong player in the long-run. I say rotate him between the 3rd and 4th lines for now, and see what he starts doing. I also like him on the Backlund line - that is probably the single best line for him to start regaining his confidence. I just think that Jankowski will eventually be put on that line (and I really don't want Jankowski centering the 4th line).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #36
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
We just gave up a second for him a few months ago. He has played 4 games since. Either Treliving got screwed, or he won't clear.
That's some air tight logic there.

Continue to rush him and end up with someone who will clear, or risk losing him so he can flame out in another organization that will rush him?

I think he'll stay up with the club until he performs well enough to stay, or bad enough to clear. Let's hope for the best.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #37
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he doesn't make the team we'll at least be able to trade him to Vancouver for a 1st.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #38
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope. Think he will stay up and get a few games then be waived and won't be picked up.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #39
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

This time of year every fan base has a couple players they fear of losing on waivers and it never happens. There is a glut of players that will go on waivers, plenty of interesting former 1sr rounders too but most teams will have their rosters set and won't be picking anyone up, unless they're totally in love with the player.

Still lots of time remaining in camp though, could turn things around and make a solid case to stay.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's difficult to gauge a player only on tv but on the offensive side Lazar isn't taking the puck to the net enough. I recall one rush where, if he was confident and aggressive, he should've come off the wing and driven to the net. Instead he kept wide and the d-man just rode him to the end boards.

To me he's making the safe play to take the puck in deep but he needs to seize those offensive opportunities. Now maybe the coaches want him to play a role that's low risk but confident players attack and this is the time to do it.

I'm unsure how many shot attempts he's made but I'm guessing it's low (another sign of playing safe).

I think if he takes the puck to the net and gets that shooting mentality it will do wonders for his game. If he does that it won't even be a question whether he belongs.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote