Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #101
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I would argue the city wants CSEC to pay for its own ####ing arena. Not the city's job to figure out how to make it work for CSEC here.
There is an offer from CSEC to the City.
The City has not, and apparently will not, respond.

It is not CSEC wanting the City to figure it out, but CSEC actually wanting a response so it knows where it stands.
No response is not an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #102
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the City made a mistake publicly boasting on how much they want a new arena in their Entertainment district.

The Flames can now argue that the City wants an arena more than the team does, and they should step up.

With or without the Flames, this city will have a new arena in the next 10 years.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #103
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I was previously in favour of significant public money going towards a new building, and some how the Flames owners have botched this thing so badly that I now think they can go pound sand. They're so tone deaf ti the current economic and political situation in Calgary it's ridiculous.

Do they really think they can influence this election? If anything they just strengthened Nenshi's position. Not that there was any chance of him losing anyway.
Maybe Edwards wants to move... he's not from Calgary, he doesn't live in Calgary. My fear is that rather than a negotiating tactic this is laying the foundation for justifying his move to another market he likes better.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #104
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Man, that dude with the Flames sleeve can't be digging this news right now.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #105
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there an unbiased summary of how this whole arena thing has unfolded anywhere?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #106
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You're mistaking "not talking to CSEC" with not caving to CSEC's demands. You just didn't like the answer, that doesn't mean the city didn't talk.
I am not. The City has not responded to an offer from CSEC. At all.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #107
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!

So much so that they've handled their CalgaryNEXT website splash page advertisements...

Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #108
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think Edwards is the problem, and yeah Ken King has been his hamfisted bagman. He has bungled everything he has touched from the jerseys to his moronic interfering in hockey ops decisions if that piece is true.

The old guard has been great and very committed but Harley Hotchkiss was leading them the last time the Flames were in danger. He was committed to the Flames. Edwards is not from Calgary and he doesn't live here anymore... you wonder if he's thinking, yeah I'd rather have a harborfront condo in Seattle and spend some time there than go back to freezing Calgary. Edwards personally has done nothing to assure me of his commitment to Calgary.
You mean aside from buy into the team when things were already going south and endure a full decade of increasing losses hoping for a turnaround?

That being said, I agree with you that Edwards is the problem. He's not Hotchkiss or Doc. And his difference in style definitely shows here as he's more than willing to be adversarial where Harley would be more conciliatory.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #109
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I strongly believe they could've tied a knot with the city years ago if they had someone competent and ambitious in KK's place.

A problem solver that could appeal to the city and sell the organization's ideas, rather than tossing them napkins with doodles on them, and uttering threats to try to coerce them into agreeing (while claiming they aren't threats).
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #110
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's #Gotime may have a whole new meaning this season.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #111
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Gary Bettman addresses Flames golf tourney participants w news Flames won't pursue new arena here. Crowd is stunned
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #112
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would definitely not be a good thing if the Flames explored relocation. Id still cheer for the Flames no matter where they relocated to anyways.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #113
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Is it a coincidence that this is announced just as the election cycle is starting? My guess that this is an attempt to make the new arena an election issue. Let's see if any of the mayoral candidates/aldermanic candidates proclaim their support for CalgaryNext
...The day after the LAST council meeting with this council....
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #114
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post

It is not CSEC wanting the City to figure it out, but CSEC actually wanting a response so it knows where it stands.
I don't believe this, I think you're lying until you can provide proof that a new plan was submitted after the Victoria Park counter was provided by the city. My disbelief is based on the fact that Ken King has shown himself to be completely incapable of effectively performing any work in regards to this arena project. He's a hack. A hack who has presided over almost two decades of mediocrity who somehow thinks this entitles him to make demands for a known losing gamble from a municipality.

Quote:
I am not. The City has not responded to an offer from CSEC. At all.
Again, prove a new plan was submitted after the Vic Park counter or stop spreading this garbage.

Last edited by nik-; 09-12-2017 at 05:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #115
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That reminds me of that girl I messaged on Tinder and she didn't respond. I mean, does she like me or not? Why wouldn't she respond? Talk about ruining my summer, I couldn't hook up with anyone else until she responded. Still waiting. I have hopes that she likes me and is just playing coy.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #116
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

It's no secret that Nenshi's main rival, Bill Smith, hangs with guys like King and the Flames ownership. Bill Smith has extensive connections with the monied in this city, being former president of the PC party. Making Nenshi the bad guy is playing politics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #117
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Embarrassing move for sure. Wake me when it is over.

Bettman, Edwards and King seem like the holy trinity of out of touch. They have one supporter on a flames message board to build a new arena and his name is Iamnotkenking. They think that they have any sway over public opinion? Laughable. Actually, not laughable, it's completely true, but they are actually going to push more voters to Nenshi.

Well-played dufuss'
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #118
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Gary Bettman addresses Flames golf tourney participants w news Flames won't pursue new arena here. Crowd is stunned
Schoolyard tactics. So childish it's embarrassing.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #119
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Spoiler!

So much so that they've handled their CalgaryNEXT website splash page advertisements...
And all the calgarynext links are dead. I was trying to find out how much the Flames were willing to put into and arena. had to go through Wiki.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #120
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Maybe Edwards wants to move... he's not from Calgary, he doesn't live in Calgary. My fear is that rather than a negotiating tactic this is laying the foundation for justifying his move to another market he likes better.
If this were the case, he'd never get the chance. Bettman's willing to play the evil count to the media and public, but one thing is consistent for the league: relocation is an absolute last resort, and will happen only if local options are exhausted. The BoG would never approve a relocation, and Edwards knows it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread