Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Slashing is the new Hooking. Since they took hooking out of the game, players have been trying to find a new alternative and since the league has relaxed theit stance on obstruction, slashing is thriving. It's even worse then the hooking because it causes significant injuries. The league needs to introduce fines that escalate to suspensions before we see a decaptated finger; OH WAIT that's already happened.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #42
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you slash someone's hands, it should be an automatic penalty. Slash the pants, the calves, the shins etc.

Every slash to the hands, IMO, is intent to injure. It's bull#### and the league needs to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Slashing is the new Hooking. Since they took hooking out of the game, players have been trying to find a new alternative and since the league has relaxed theit stance on obstruction, slashing is thriving. It's even worse then the hooking because it causes significant injuries. The league needs to introduce fines that escalate to suspensions before we see a decaptated finger; OH WAIT that's already happened.
I would trade the slashing for hooking yesterday.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #43
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I do think that the tapping slashing should be made more black and white. Any type of swing that touches an opponent...slash. Furthermore, they should consider enforcing double minors on the more intentinoed hacks. I mean two minutes for chopping a guy on purpose, vs 4 for accidentally touching a guys lip with the stick. Several guys leave games and miss time with a broken bone in the their wrist or finger. Find me a guy who missed more than two shifts with a cut on his lip.

I do tend to be a bit more old school, but if there's stick work that needs to come out of the game, it's the slashing more so than hooking. Even cross checking seems to be making a come back.

I think they really need to put an emphasis on calling all of this starting at the beginning of next season at the latest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #44
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If you slash someone's hands, it should be an automatic penalty. Slash the pants, the calves, the shins etc.

Every slash to the hands, IMO, is intent to injure. It's bull#### and the league needs to fix it.

I would trade the slashing for hooking yesterday.
One more Methot like injury and the league will have no choice but to make changes. They can start by calling any slashes at or near the hand. But players need to start taking hits to their pocketbooks or missing games before they change their mentality.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #45
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One more Methot like injury on a star/chosen player and the league will have no choice but to make changes. They can start by calling any slashes at or near the hand. But players need to start taking hits to their pocketbooks or missing games before they change their mentality.
Fixed your post.

I honestly don't think the NHL cares.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #46
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd like to see Gaudreau retaliate with a few two-handers of his own. Will probably get better results than shaking his hands and looking at the ref.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
I'd like to see Gaudreau retaliate with a few two-handers of his own. Will probably get better results than shaking his hands and looking at the ref.
He should be swinging to break ankles every game.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #48
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On Friday he got into it a bit with Dillion in the 3rd coming out of the Sharks zone.

My concerns with your plan is the refs love giving the retaliation penalty.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #49
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
On Friday he got into it a bit with Dillion in the 3rd coming out of the Sharks zone.

My concerns with your plan is the refs love giving the retaliation penalty.
Theo Fleury only had one full season in Calgary with fewer than 100 PIMs. From 89-97, he appears to have missed a grand total of eight games. Playing in what Mario Lemieux called a 'garage league'. In that span, he had 6 seasons of PPG or better, and 4 where he was knocking on the door.

Take the penalties, Johnny. I'd rather lose him for two minutes than 10 games.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 04-03-2017 at 12:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #50
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Theo Fleury only had one full season in Calgary with fewer than 100 PIMs. From 89-97, he appears to have missed a grand total of eight games. Playing in what Mario Lemieux called a 'garage league'.

Take the penalties, Johnny. I'd rather lose him for two minutes than 10 games.
I don't think that's a very good comparison. One might find the root cause of Theo Fleury's penalty minutes to be the result of his formative years long before he made the NHL (much of it being pretty awful). I would hazard that Theo had this edge to his game for a long time, and it may have been survival driven.

Johny Gaudreau has played the sport without that edge his entire life. He's not going to be able to fool or even scare anyone by changing his ways now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It sucks, and it ruins the game.
Fix it, NHL.

Fix it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #52
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Let's remember that the refs in NHL are the best in hockey. The results are as good as it gets in the situation they're put in.

The refs are asked to do an impossible job, and then piled on when they can't do it.
Like hell they are! I watch OHL games more than NHL and the officiating is light years better.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #53
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, there was an article on it on TSN just last week

http://www.tsn.ca/time-for-nhl-to-ge...pping-1.710603

so the hope is that someone at NHL headquarters is reading this... and Hrudey and Kypreos were pretty vocal about it in an HNIC segment a week or two ago.

its not good for the game: Fans pay good money for stars to play like stars...slashing skill players on the hands/wrists is detrimental to the game, NHL's image and eventually, its bottom line

in the old days, you could hook a little to slow folks down, but the biggest reason that tapping happens, imo, there's no bell to answer for those doing it...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #54
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I don't think that's a very good comparison. One might find the root cause of Theo Fleury's penalty minutes to be the result of his formative years long before he made the NHL (much of it being pretty awful). I would hazard that Theo had this edge to his game for a long time, and it may have been survival driven.

Johny Gaudreau has played the sport without that edge his entire life. He's not going to be able to fool or even scare anyone by changing his ways now.
Breaking someone's ankle might be a start
Old 04-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #55
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

There is an official near the play in both clips. Anyone ever play a game of knuckles, it gets pretty painful after the 3, or 4th wack. Can't imagine how much Johnny's hands hurt after the game and we complain when he complains too much!

We need to set up a website or a very long video of all the wacks during the season an send it to the GM or NHL. I would never advocate something like this. I think it is unacceptable that the league rarely calls this infraction. Didn't Lankow have both hands injured during one playoff run or was that someone else?

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 04-03-2017 at 04:04 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #56
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until Crosby McJesus or Matthews goes out can't see it getting attention enough to make a change. If Gaudreau played for Toronto or Montreal maybe.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
i think you mean severed. Unless you mean a headless finger.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #59
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny should be coached in slashing. Slashing conditioning for strength then tons of video review of the best slashers in the game that consistently get away with it. Put a light on the helmets of "volunteers" to skate with him and every time he hits the sweet spot the light goes on.
He needs something to defend himself because he can't become a distraction.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #60
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

If your stick touches someone's gloves, it's a penalty. Make it black and white.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote