Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #21
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Purchase quality all weather tires from a tire shop who installs and rotates for free and fixes flats - don't run them bald - drive slower when roads are in poor condition - and you will never have to wait in line at Costco again.
This is bad advice.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it weren’t for large boxes of tacquitos, big containers of gummy candies, discounted flats of Gatorad, big pieces of beef striploin and those taco chips in the brown paper bag I would never want to go to this circle of hell that is known as Costco.......

Lining up at 3 or 4 in the morning to get tires changed, versus calling a local shop and making an appointment.....
Old 11-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #23
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
See: the line ups at the gas bar.
It's not exactly comparable. The worst lineup at the gas bar is only maybe 1/2 an hour, lots of time to catch up with spouse/kids while they're shopping. I used to think that's why Costco tires were so cheap. But the wait for installation (even with an appointment, upon purchase of 4 winter tires last year) was over 3 hours. I did all my shopping and still had to wait.

Over the winter I bought rims so I wouldn't have to wait so long next time, but the wait to install my summer tires on the rims and switch over was over 2 hours. It was probably about $500-800 savings between the tires and the rims, but now that I have them, never again, I just switch them over myself.

So is it worth it? Depends on what you feel your time is worth. Also if you can justify spending $200-400 on stuff (you don't really need but it's such a good deal) at Costco while you're waiting.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
This is bad advice.
Is it. If he said all season it would have been but the modern all weather is pretty effective in Calgarys climateof relatively warm winters.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #25
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cochrane Toyota beat Costco prices by 5%. Their installation fee was a little more, so I saved $20 at Cochrane Toyota and had an appointment. Took an hour and I was out of there. Then I got a $70 rebate that Costco didn't have. The rebate is a $70 visa gift card from Bridgestone.

A week later I had a puncture. Took the tire to CT and they repaired it free of charge because they give some protection plus plan on their tires. If you buy rims from them, then you get free swaps every spring and fall.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I need some help.

I have to drive out to Banff on Saturday night and I'm a little worried about road conditions. I have a 4WD SUV but the all-seasons are coming up to end of life and I think I might need a new set.

From everything I've heard, it'll will be difficult to get new tires and installation done within 5 days. Anybody know a place that can do that if cost is not an issue?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can usually get an appointment within a few days with Tom at Compucare on 16th ave and 2 st nw, and his prices are very reasonable.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #28
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given it is supposed to be warm for the next few days, some folks may be dragging their feet.

Call around to your local shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I need some help.

I have to drive out to Banff on Saturday night and I'm a little worried about road conditions. I have a 4WD SUV but the all-seasons are coming up to end of life and I think I might need a new set.

From everything I've heard, it'll will be difficult to get new tires and installation done within 5 days. Anybody know a place that can do that if cost is not an issue?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Try tire pirates. They seem to be able to work miracles.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #30
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just had two cars done at Tire Pirates. Was a 2 week booking but they're great guys, they might be able to fit something in.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #31
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love the guys at the Kal Tire on 11 Street SE. They sell great tires, free tire swaps for just buying tires and they always treat me well.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Just had two cars done at Tire Pirates. Was a 2 week booking but they're great guys, they might be able to fit something in.

I called on Tuesday and new tires were installed by today at noon. Thanks for the recommendation. Might have cost a little more than other places and definitely not Costco cheap but got some Toyo Celcius tires that are apparently really awesome for $1447 installed (after rebate) within 3 days.

I guess that beats ordering at Costco online, waiting 2 weeks, picking up the tires and taking them home, bringing them back and lining up at 4AM (as reported earlier in the thread), etc. to have them install them.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #33
kaddy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I might try and bail on costco. I have my hub centric rims sitting in the garage now (from costco). We also might be away during the installation date.
kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #34
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Getting tires at Costco is definitely an arduous and annoying process. That place is always swamped. I guess you really have to think it out if its worth saving the bucks. As noted, prices are pretty close at a lot of other shops.

No chance I am desperate/insane enough to wait in a line at 3:30am. Thats a joke and shows the level of insanity we live amongst.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #35
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had my tires done at my house by Tireworx's mobile service. Sitting in a tire shop is for chumps and I'll never do it again if I can help it.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #36
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to do a short notice winter tire install on my mom's car when she had to take my car out of town for an emergency.

Bought the tires at Costco, bought wheels on Kijiji, had a friend mount and balance them at his shop over lunch and I showed up with the car and he put them on and I was on the road again. Without that friend, it would have been a 2-3 week wait.

My wife switches between my all-seasons and winters most of the time. The only exception is if we need to get new ones, and then we get them mounted at the shop, as it isn't worth the time to save the $60.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #37
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems like it would be much more fun waiting in line at best buy at 2.30 am on boxing day to save $200 on a new TV than to get tires swapped