Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #141
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawbag View Post
So did Gio in the 1st. Waive him too ?
Really....Really... Nice try Troy Brouwer. Bahaha

If Gio makes stupid mistakes every game and he can't keep up with the play, I would be in favour of it cause I want the Flames to dress their best team every night and not play somebody that drags the team down constantly.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 AM   #142
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
I thought the difference tonight was that Brouwer actually seemed to give a damn. He had a bit of jump in him and the 4th line had some good shifts cycling the puck. I like the comparison to Stajan, because it's such a similar situation and it's probably the road to redemption for Brouwer.
Much more likely it's a confidence problem than not giving a damn.

In any case it was nice to see him contribute. 4th line in general had a pretty good night.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #143
SDV325
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

In any case it was nice to see him contribute. 4th line in general had a pretty good night.
Agreed. Brouwer has taken a lot of criticism lately and all justifiably so, but he does seem a decent fit on the 4th line with Stajan and Glass. I was never on edge when our 4th line was on the ice.
SDV325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #144
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most PK time out of the forwards (third overall after Hamonic and Giordano) btw. In a low-scoring game, that's a solid contribution.

(Just trying hard to not think about the cap hit.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #145
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The fourth line and third pairing got hemmed in their own end in the first at one point and iced the puck. But aside from that, there was nothing noticeably wrong with Brouwer's game.

His use on the PK was a bit tense but it made me wonder if Treliving is trying to showcase Brouwer as a defensively responsible player that can put in some goals as well. All it takes it one team to believe that and we could be free of Brouwer forever.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDV325 View Post
Agreed. Brouwer has taken a lot of criticism lately and all justifiably so, but he does seem a decent fit on the 4th line with Stajan and Glass. I was never on edge when our 4th line was on the ice.
If you don't need facepunching, a fourth line of Stajan/Jankowski/Brouwer might actually bury a few chances and should be able to defend fairly well.

Then Treliving really needs to work to free up a spot for Jagr, which probably means Lazar slides down to the fourth despite good play and Stajan either sits or is moved.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #147
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Brouwer and Stajan - face palm...At least the Flames broke the Honda Centre curse...
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #148
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Between Brouwer and Stajan - face palm...At least the Flames broke the Honda Centre curse...
To tell the truth, I thought they each had a healthy role in the win.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #149
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

I agree. Brouwer sucks at many things, but finishing gift-wrapped opportunities isn't one of them. I think confidence is an issue for a lot of our bottom 6 right now - Lazar, Bennett, Stajan, and Brouwer all seem to be gripping their sticks. Unsurprisingly none of these guys found the back of the net even in preseason. Glass on the other hand thinks he's Stamkos or something so far and has been firing away pretty confidently.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-10-2017 at 09:57 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #150
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Its frustrating to have to deal with this every year. It's just Mason Raymond all over again taking up a roster spot and eating a fat contract.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #151
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Except its not really. He's not great value for money and he's under-performing expectations. With that said, Brouwer fits under the cap and is a top 12 forward on this team. So, he makes the team better.

Im actually surprised that Glass makes the team better than Hathaway all else equal. But its a moot point when Jagr starts and Glass gets pushed off the lineup
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #152
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Except its not really. He's not great value for money and he's under-performing expectations. With that said, Brouwer fits under the cap and is a top 12 forward on this team. So, he makes the team better.

Im actually surprised that Glass makes the team better than Hathaway all else equal. But its a moot point when Jagr starts and Glass gets pushed off the lineup
Exactly. Value for contract not relevant as it relates to lineup.
Is Brouwer one of the top 12 forwards the Flames could ice?
Absolutely
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote