Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2023, 11:29 PM   #161
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Can anyone speak Public Mobil's coverage? I know they use Telus but has anyone had issues in Calgary?
They have a 40GB for $34 and it's 5G instead of LTE.
I woke up this morning convinced the kids would go with Virgin and their $34 plan but this one seems quite a bit better.

What am I missing?
No issues here, it will be exactly the same as Telus...also their rewards system should give you some $off from time to time

Have one of them refer the other
Old 11-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #162
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

In case anybody is curious, my son is reporting that his phone is now showing 5G. We had planned on going into a store for a new SIM on the weekend, but no need now. So his iPhone 12 is just fine on Koodo's 5G network. I really feel bad for people who may not know any better and would say "I guess I just need to spend $1000 on a new phone now."

I might still do a speed test to see what he is actually getting for speed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:04 PM   #163
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just switched to a $50/m 60GB plan with Telus that has Canada and US minutes, data etc. So I guess the big companies are eliminating their roaming add ons for those plan types?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #164
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I just switched to a $50/m 60GB plan with Telus that has Canada and US minutes, data etc. So I guess the big companies are eliminating their roaming add ons for those plan types?
Did you supply the phone or did they?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #165
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Did you supply the phone or did they?
I supplied it. If I had got a new phone I assume that plan wouldn't be available
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #166
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Traveling to Mexico for the first time. Do you guys recommend getting a SIM at the airport?

I'm with public mobile and they don't have roaming for Mexico, even as an add on.

We're only gone for a week and are staying at an all inclusive resort. No plans to go explore the city. Just staying in the resort and beach time.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:51 AM   #167
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
seriously? is this 2005? lol
That would be 2G in 2005.

As for plans, the best deals seemed to be $34 (or in some cases $29) 40 or 50 GB on 5G from Fido, Public, Freedom. I’m not sure if the deals are still available. They’ll be back Boxing Day if you can wait.

Public has free eSims, no activation fee, and no 911 fees and uses TELUS network. I moved from a TELUS family deal from last year to Public and have zero complaints.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:54 AM   #168
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Yeah Freedom had some crazy $60 plan with no roaming in 130 countries or something like that, for BF.

Maybe our phone plans will finally catch up with the rest of the world. Probably not, these are public companies Telcos with their $50/month average subscriber revenue are fuelling a lot of pension plans and mutual funds Haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2023, 07:31 AM   #169
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Traveling to Mexico for the first time. Do you guys recommend getting a SIM at the airport?

I'm with public mobile and they don't have roaming for Mexico, even as an add on.

We're only gone for a week and are staying at an all inclusive resort. No plans to go explore the city. Just staying in the resort and beach time.
My travel SIM solution is using an eSIM like Airalo. There is a thread about it here: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ghlight=Airalo

Not all phones support eSIM, so you’ll have to check your device first to make sure. I have only used it in Europe, but my parents used Airalo for Mexico last year and it worked well for them.

Some people still like to get a physical sim at the airport or from a local vendor.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #170
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My wife and kids are on a telus plan. It's $14/day per person to roam in the US. That was surprising. I'm in the US often. Have a rogers plan. No extra charges for international.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #171
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My wife and kids are on a telus plan. It's $14/day per person to roam in the US. That was surprising. I'm in the US often. Have a rogers plan. No extra charges for international.
You are on a Canada USA plan, because if any company would find a reason to charge you for something it’s Rogers.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #172
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just switched two accounts from Bell to Virgin Plus. We went from 2 x $85/month for 5GB to 2 x $39/month for 20GB. It seems insane that I was paying what I was before. They don't even have 5G towers where I live so not missing out there.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #173
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post

We've done Mexico at an all inclusive several times with no need for roaming / SIM / anything. I'm guessing you already have transport set up to and from the resort, and after that you'll have wifi for nearly of your needs. Concierge can make calls and set things up for you if you want to do a excursion or two.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:16 PM   #174
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a 50 dollars plan for 120 gigs 5g. Canada callout and texting, no USA.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:43 PM   #175
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am with Freedom and paying $55/mo for 40 GB plus roam yadda.

The plans I can change too look way cheaper but there is a small difference that I am not sure about. Of course phoning and asking is a 12 hour ordeal, plus they would lie anyway.

Current plan says
DATA (FREEDOM NATIONWIDE + U.S.)
  • 40GB of Fast LTE

Future plan says
DATA:
100GB (Freedom Nationwide + U.S.)

None of the 10 plans I can change mention "Fast LTE". Like it doesn't exist any more.

Did they just get rid of the term Fast LTE and its the same on the new plans or is it slower crap data I'd be moving too.

Last edited by fotze2; 01-04-2024 at 02:46 PM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:39 PM   #176
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would more importantly ask why you are getting a $55 plan? How much data are you using per month? Do you need the US Roaming? There are plans out there for more data than you currently have, for less money.

If speed is a concern, then I would suggest looking at a 5G plan anyway.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:11 PM   #177
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you guys doing on your phones that needs 5G anyway?

especially with data limits

4G is 100 Mbit

seems like a lot of marketing

If you were actually pushing 5G speeds for something...your data would be gone quickly

I realize the benefit for the provider because they can provide more bandwidth amongst their customers but its not worth paying more for

Last edited by dino7c; 01-07-2024 at 11:21 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:02 AM   #178
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently a customer of Koodo, have been for years. Decided to look at Freedom today and was impressed with some of their BYOD plans. For the same price I'm paying with Koodo, I can also get USA and Mexico roaming included, for the next 2 yrs anyways. On top of that, the 5G speeds with Koodo have been underwhelming. Think I was doing better with the LTE plan with speedboost.

I recall the knock against Freedom was coverage not being so good, I assume that's improved these days? Anything to be concerned about with Freedom?

One thing I liked about Koodo was the ability to log into my account and change my plan easily online if something better popped up, I assume you can do that with Freedom as well?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 07:10 AM   #179
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Currently a customer of Koodo, have been for years. Decided to look at Freedom today and was impressed with some of their BYOD plans. For the same price I'm paying with Koodo, I can also get USA and Mexico roaming included, for the next 2 yrs anyways. On top of that, the 5G speeds with Koodo have been underwhelming. Think I was doing better with the LTE plan with speedboost.

I recall the knock against Freedom was coverage not being so good, I assume that's improved these days? Anything to be concerned about with Freedom?

One thing I liked about Koodo was the ability to log into my account and change my plan easily online if something better popped up, I assume you can do that with Freedom as well?
I switched to Freedom last week. So far I haven't noticed any issues with their coverage within Calgary, and speeds have been no different than Telus. I haven't been on the Nationwide network to see what the speeds are like yet.

Yes, once your account is created there is self serve options available to change/add to your plan.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 09:51 AM   #180
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For roaming in US and Mexico I would say get a SIM off Amazon. I paid $30 for 6 days of unlimited 5G+ data on t mobile. I forwarded my calls to the American number I was given.

Only draw back was traditional texts didn’t forward for some reason. Need to look into that.

That said I would get the cheapest Canadian only plan and use SIM card like this

https://a.co/d/0M6mN4u
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote