Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #4021
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is B.C. going to require vax passports to fly in or ban out-of-province travel? We’re considering flying to Victoria and are both double vaxed.
Not at this time. Their announcement only applied to certain activities, nothing to do with travel itself.

Federal regulations requiring air travel are supposedly coming in October IIRC.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:27 PM   #4022
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

YYC -> YUL, noon-5:45: which side of the plane would be expected to have the better views?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #4023
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
YYC -> YUL, noon-5:45: which side of the plane would be expected to have the better views?
The front.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #4024
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
You’ll get a full helping of Canadian wilderness for the most part. But if they are landing the 24’s at YUL you would get a view of the city centre and port from the left side of the aircraft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 11:41 PM   #4025
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you sit on the right side of the plane (south-facing) for a daytime flight you'll have the sun beaming through your window for nearly the whole flight. You can decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing! Your neighbours may ask you to close the shade to watch their tv.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #4026
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
If you sit on the right side of the plane (south-facing) for a daytime flight you'll have the sun beaming through your window for nearly the whole flight. You can decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing! Your neighbours may ask you to close the shade to watch their tv.
I've seen different opinions on this, but I choose a window seat so I can look out. It's staying open.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #4027
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for a place to spend a few weeks this winter. Prefer not the U.S. but might consider Southern California. Prefer Mexico, the Caribbean or somewhere in Europe such as Italy. We want warm weather and culture. We’re double vaxed. Recommendations?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #4028
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Looking for a place to spend a few weeks this winter. Prefer not the U.S. but might consider Southern California. Prefer Mexico, the Caribbean or somewhere in Europe such as Italy. We want warm weather and culture. We’re double vaxed. Recommendations?
Haven't been there in the winter months but I've always been told that Southern Europe wouldn't be reliably warm during winter.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #4029
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You wont get beach weather in Southern Europe. Malta is probably your best bet and is wonderful. Also you could try Israel as well
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #4030
DJ_NAV
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Also looking for warm options during xmas. leaning towards SE USA. atlanta to florida road trip??
DJ_NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #4031
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve ruled out Europe but my wife refuses to go to the States. She worries about gun-carrying lunatics.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #4032
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to Quebec City recently for the first time. Highly recommend visiting. Very cool city and great dining options.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #4033
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve been to Quebec City a couple of times. It’s great but not a winter vacation spot.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #4034
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve ruled out Europe but my wife refuses to go to the States. She worries about gun-carrying lunatics.
Depends where you go and what you expose yourself to.

The majority of places you won't even see a gun.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #4035
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah even Tenerife or similar isn't really hot enough during our winter months to make it a winter getaway. It will be a lot more comfortable than Calgary, but a bit underwhelming if looking for a beach vacation.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #4036
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying to the US at the end of October, will I still need to have Passenger Disclosure and Self Declaration forms?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #4037
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We’ve been to Quebec City a couple of times. It’s great but not a winter vacation spot.
Quebec City is the best in the winter!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #4038
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone fly Westjet lately?

Looks like they have been cancelling a ton of their flights after customers have booked (right up to the point customers are in the airport, about to depart), rebooked them on crazy alternative flights without their consent and make people wait 10 hours on the phone to speak to agent (they do not allow changes on their website, you can request a callback in about 4 days which doesnt help)..

I've flown on Air Canada a few times recently with no issues. I have 2 WestJet Buddy passes and $1000 Westjet dollars in my account but I refuse to book a Westjet flight given how shady they seem now. I'd rather pay for an Air Canada flight - at least I know it's not a bait and switch when I fly with them. I'd feel like an idiot booking Westjet and then getting screwed after seeing so many people complaining about it.

I never could have imagined saying this a few years ago. Westjet used to be the shining star compared to Air Canada. I realize Westjet is short of staff due to previous layoffs, but to offer all of these flights and let people book knowing many of them will be cancelled is theft.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-09-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #4039
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Anyone fly Westjet lately?

Looks like they have been cancelling a ton of their flights after customers have booked (right up to the point customers are in the airport, about to depart), rebooked them on crazy alternative flights without their consent and make people wait 10 hours on the phone to speak to agent (they do not allow changes on their website, you can request a callback in about 4 days which doesnt help)..

I've flown on Air Canada a few times recently with no issues. I have 2 WestJet Buddy passes and $1000 Westjet dollars in my account but I refuse to book a Westjet flight given how shady they seem now. I'd rather pay for an Air Canada flight - at least I know it's not a bait and witch when I fly with them. I'd feel like an idiot booking Westjet and then getting screwed after seeing so many people complaining about it.

I never could have imagined saying this a few years ago. Westjet used to be the shining star compared to Air Canada. I realize Westjet is short of staff due to previous layoffs, but to offer all of these flights and let people book knowing many of them will be cancelled is theft.
I flew YYC to YXE in late August. I had a very specific timeline (needed to go morning and come back evening) and Air Canada didn't offer those times at all. I had heard the same horror stories about WestJet, but I booked anyway. My outbound flight was delayed about 45 minutes a few hours before it was due to take off, but otherwise it was okay.

That being said, there's no way I'd book WestJet right now if there was any other option that was reasonably workable.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #4040
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westjet has definitely shed it’s underdog personality. I can’t think of anything enthusiastic to say about them. I would take them over Flair though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote