Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #141
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the game on Monday, but I really want to finish Octopath Traveler first, as I started that a about a week ago and am about 20 hours into it. I think I'll just hold off on FF7 until then. I mean, what do I have going on at home right? Just work and video games, so might as well take my time to clear up my backlog of games.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #142
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
There is a "classic mode" that makes the game play more like the old turn based style
Honestly, no. SE tried to present it as something like that, but all it does is make it so the computer auto-controls standard attacking, blocking and dodging. As the player, you only become responsible for ATB commands and limit breaks. So while everything you do as a player is entirely menu driven, it's still not turn based combat.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #143
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Honestly, no. SE tried to present it as something like that, but all it does is make it so the computer auto-controls standard attacking, blocking and dodging. As the player, you only become responsible for ATB commands and limit breaks. So while everything you do as a player is entirely menu driven, it's still not turn based combat.
I said "more like" not exactly like
Old 04-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #144
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I find 90% of the battles very easy, really wish you could play more battles and grind even a little, and then the 10% of the battles, oh my do I get mad, haha.

Its awesome, 20 hours in and still loving it.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #145
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

15 hours in, so in love. This was worth all the wait.

Soundtrack is amazing. I love the remaster and updates on the songs. I find myself sucked into the rabbit hole and forgetting time when playing. There have been lots of 3am nights lately, and I wake up at 5:30 for work. lol... so worth it though
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #146
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

There are a lot of things happening in FF7 remake that I DO NOT remember doing in the original. So it is really like playing a new game. But i watch a short run through of the original and its actually not that much different.

The new combat system can be incredibly frustrating. It seems often like the other team members do almost nothing if I dont actually control them and make them attack. So thats kinda silly. They could have at least made it so you could create roles for them so they would do SOME things on their own.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #147
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I'm only a few hours in at this point but my two largest gripes are:

Spoiler!

Expanded story is pretty cool though.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #148
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, if you're only a few hours in, then you only have Cloud, Barrett and Tifa - who are all fighters. So that's pretty much to be expected.

As far as summons go, I actually like how they did it in this one. It's different. But, there certainly was a hell of a lot of satisfaction in XV when you used a summon. Those were some of the most bad-ass animations in video game history.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #149
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't slogged my way to the end yet, but the sequences from basically when you get to the top of the Shinra Tower to the end is exhausting. Megabosses, just one after the other, sometimes the context of the story just gets lost and you're fighting some swarming beasts. Hopefully one of these days soon I'll get my enthusiasm back and jump back in. But otherwise, I love the game. They did a really great job with it!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #150
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

How has it been so far is it pretty linear or are you able to explore a bit?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #151
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's very linear. It's basically like X, where the game is entirely story driven rather than exploration driven.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #152
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's very linear. It's basically like X, where the game is entirely story driven rather than exploration driven.
That's definitely something I don't like about it. It's not as open and exploration based as I had hoped. Seeing so many beautiful spots, it would be nice to go to as you see fit, a la Zelda style. But it doesn't leave any bitter taste, more like a wish.

I find myself doing what I can to grind out XP though. If there are opportunities to get respawns to battle, I do so willingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #153
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's kind of annoying how you'll get in positions where you can't really grind at all. I'm stuck at a boss at the beginning of chapter 10, normally in an RPG I'd grind a couple battles but there's no way to go back anywhere. So I just have to throw myself at it over and over, or drop the difficulty down to easy for that fight and then move on (probably going to do that one).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #154
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah it's kind of annoying how you'll get in positions where you can't really grind at all. I'm stuck at a boss at the beginning of chapter 10, normally in an RPG I'd grind a couple battles but there's no way to go back anywhere. So I just have to throw myself at it over and over, or drop the difficulty down to easy for that fight and then move on (probably going to do that one).
Hopefully SE listen to the feedback from this one, and fix it for the subsequent additions.

My wish list so far
- Open world
- ability for more random battles to grind up (I actually love fighting in this game)
- Less linear story, make it more Zelda like.
- integration back into this one, so you can carry your equipment, material, upgrades into the new one.

Hopefully the sequel comes out fairly quickly, and not forever. They did say with this one done, they have the framework, so one can dream....

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #155
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well the original was also super linear until you left Midgar, so maybe the remake will follow a bit.

I was just assuming all of your gear/xp/choices in the first part would follow through the rest, would be a pretty big letdown if they didn't.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #156
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think it is unlikely that gear etc. will carry over in any meaningful way. Maybe you keep a materia or something, but carrying most everything creates a problem that MMORPGs like WoW have struggled with - when end game content becomes the next expansion's starting content, you end up at a point where stat growth has to become borderline logarithmic to retain that sense of progression. It would be ridiculous if, by the end of the third game, Cloud was level 193 with 325,000 HP and that Materia has Curaragajaxa available after collecting 1 million AP.

Gameplay and story segregation between installments is going to be inevitable. A la the Tomb Raider series.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #157
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hmm so are they gonna remove the Gold Saucer scene? That'll rustle some jimmies. IIRC most of the decisions that affected that outcome were in the first part of the game.

At the end of the day it's not an MMORPG though, by tuning the enemies/items players have access to in the current part they can taper off how much progress can be made realistically. Will super hardcore players grind to extreme levels? Sure. But you don't make plans based on the extreme case. And since it's not an MMORPG, the 'normal' players won't be interacting with the hardcores.

Last edited by ZedMan; 04-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #158
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No, but the same principle applies. You still need to scale off of what the last game had and the numbers will get big fast. Gold Saucer date is easier though, since you can keep non-gameplay data without actually affecting the game.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #159
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big problem too is that this is a late-gen PS4 game, part 2 and onwards will certainly be on PS5. I'm not gonna have my part 1 save file on my PS5.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #160
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Midgar part of the original was also very linear so you really couldn't expect this game to be very open. That was part of the disappointment of the original announcement or rumour or whatever that came out that said this would only cover that part of the story. You just knew it couldn't be open.

Whenever I got stuck on a boss (which happened a lot along the way), I found that if I adjusted my strategies, there would be a way to win. Sometimes even quite easily if you employed the right maneuvers. Maybe it depends on what materia you leveled up and such things too. But it definitely is a different beast where you often can't backtrack to regroup and build levels to take another swing at a boss. That was my traditional FF strategy.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote