Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #2881
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't part of the trade, but dramatically improved their team. Getting rid of Bill Peters was a massive win for the Hurricanes. No one was upset with his departure and the Hurricanes are much better as a result.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #2882
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It wasn't part of the trade, but dramatically improved their team. Getting rid of Bill Peters was a massive win for the Hurricanes. No one was upset with his departure and the Hurricanes are much better as a result.
It's true, we should all be jealous of Carolina's "manhandling" of:

Columbus
NYR
Vancouver
Minnesota (O/T)
Detroit
(and last night) San Jose (S/O)

Let's ignore the following games to make sure we truly have a biased perspective

New York Islanders
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg

Carolina is a good up and coming team, but they basically promoted an internal coach to lead them through a butter-soft opening schedule which you are now using after 10 games as a "massive win". If one OT and one SO go the other way, Carolina has the identical record as last year. Feel encouraged to jump on the Hurricanes bandwagon though, I know I was on it in 2006 and it was a wild ride.

I think this thread has run its course. I like to check back into here to see how Ferland and Dougie are doing, because I want both to succeed. But if this is going to turn into a "we carry Carolina's recyclables" for people venting about specific games, I think we should start a new thread with that title.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #2883
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And the Flames look every bit as crummy as they did under old Gluegun. Treliving not even conducting a proper search was asinine, and I don't give a rat's what anyone has to say to defend it. Just simply asinine.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #2884
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Once he elected to go back to school this spring he was essentially a free agent, as there's no way he's going to commit to a team when he can sign with any team at pretty much the same time next spring.
He can’t sign with anyone but Carolina next spring. I’m pretty sure he’s a junior.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #2885
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He can’t sign with anyone but Carolina next spring. I’m pretty sure he’s a junior.
Correct. He will be eligible to become a UFA if he remains unsigned until August 15, 2020. Prior to that, Carolina is the only team he can sign with (unless they trade him, of course).
Old 10-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #2886
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Treliving hired Peters. That’s the guy he wanted. Conducting a search would be asinine at that point. He had his guy. What’s the deal with posters that wanted to see a long protracted search for a coach? Why? Treliving had his guy. That’s the end of it. Wouldn’t matter what hidden gem was uncovered in the search. Peters was the guy. Why are we beating this horse? Very odd thing to keep questioning.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #2887
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Treliving hired Peters. That’s the guy he wanted. Conducting a search would be asinine at that point. He had his guy. What’s the deal with posters that wanted to see a long protracted search for a coach? Why? Treliving had his guy. That’s the end of it. Wouldn’t matter what hidden gem was uncovered in the search. Peters was the guy. Why are we beating this horse? Very odd thing to keep questioning.
I for one believe that if Peter's wasn't available we would likely still have GG for this season.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #2888
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That is the problem though. Is it a case of him thinking hes smarter than everyone else so he dosent even bother interviewing others to see if there is a better option? What was there to lose in actually looking around? Conducting a search would be him doing his due diligence but instead he had his mind madeup and that was it. Obviously we will see if the decisions was a good idea
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #2889
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary has had a way harder schedule...and I don't think comparing records is an accurate way to pick a winner of a trade
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #2890
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well so far the team under "his guy" looks no better than the one playing for the guy he fired - one of the worst coaches in franchise history, I might add, who was also "Treliving's guy" at the time. He'd better hope to hell that turns around because he should rightfully be canned if it doesn't.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #2891
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
And the Flames look every bit as crummy as they did under old Gluegun. Treliving not even conducting a proper search was asinine, and I don't give a rat's what anyone has to say to defend it. Just simply asinine.
That's an open mind you have yourself there!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #2892
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Ok. Fair enough mrdonkey. Can we move on?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #2893
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know ...

If I lost my car keys in the garage it would certainly look better if I turned the whole house upside down first before looking in the garage just to make sure everyone knows I'm working hard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #2894
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I don't know ...

If I lost my car keys in the garage it would certainly look better if I turned the whole house upside down first before looking in the garage just to make sure everyone knows I'm working hard.
And if your keys turn up underneath the seat cushions you'd look like a fool.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #2895
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
That is the problem though. Is it a case of him thinking hes smarter than everyone else so he dosent even bother interviewing others to see if there is a better option? What was there to lose in actually looking around? Conducting a search would be him doing his due diligence but instead he had his mind madeup and that was it. Obviously we will see if the decisions was a good idea
Or ... hear me out.

He liked Peters and saw there was a tight window with him becoming available and hired the guy he wants to coach his hockey team. They've known each other for year, and Peters wasn't available when he hired Gulutzan.

Doesn't the team pay the guy to make tough decision for his hockey ops group?
Old 10-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #2896
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
And if your keys turn up underneath the seat cushions you'd look like a fool.
Already said I lost them in the garage. So not that would mean sabotage and an inside job and a whole different angle on the metaphor.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #2897
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Already said I lost them in the garage. So not that would mean sabotage and an inside job and a whole different angle on the metaphor.
In the context of the metaphor, you are assuming you lost them in the garage in much the same way as Treliving assumes Peters' and Gulutzan's brand of Corsi hockey is the way to win. You would be foolish for not at least checking a common sense place first, before upending the whole garage, because it's easy to do and you lose nothing but a small amount of time, and hell, you might be surprised what you find.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #2898
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question the Peters hire all you want, but at this point, the hiring process is water under the bridge IMO. Give Treliving credit for being self aware enough to know his mind was made up and interviews were a waste of time. It's pretty clear he had no interest whatsoever in considering Darryl Sutter for the job so I doubt an interview changes his mind. Maybe he should have considered him which as I said, is a fair question.

I do think it's an interesting debate as to whether Gulutzan would still be the coach if Peters wasn't available. It feels a little like the Keenan hire in that regard.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #2899
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Calgary has had a way harder schedule...and I don't think comparing records is an accurate way to pick a winner of a trade
I agree with the argument that Carolina has had a light schedule, but actually looking at the QOC (based on average points that the opposition achieved last year) for the month of October, Carolina and Calgary have had a similar quality of schedule. The below list ranks this easiest to hardest schedule (the number following each team is the average total points achieved by the opposition)

Boston Bruins 78.3
Columbus Blue Jackets 84.8
Pittsburgh Penguins 84.9
Los Angeles Kings 85.6
Anaheim Ducks 85.8
Tampa Bay Lightning 88.2
San Jose Sharks 89.3
Chicago Blackhawks 89.5
Montreal Canadiens 89.7
Colorado Avalanche 89.8
Nashville Predators 90.2
Winnipeg Jets 90.2
Florida Panthers 90.3
Arizona Coyotes 90.6
Toronto Maple Leafs 90.7
Dallas Stars 90.7
New York Rangers 91.2
St. Louis Blues 91.4
Vegas Golden Knights 91.4
Minnesota Wild 91.6
Calgary Flames 92.4
Carolina Hurricanes 92.9

Washington Capitals 93.1
Buffalo Sabres 93.6
Ottawa Senators 94.4
Vancouver Canucks 96.2
Philadelphia Flyers 96.5
Detroit Red Wings 98.3
New Jersey Devils 99.3
New York Islanders 99.4
Edmonton Oilers 102.5

**Statistics disclaimer, a team playing 5 really good teams and 5 really bad teams could have the same "average quality of opposition" as a team playing 10 mediocre teams.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #2900
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
In the context of the metaphor, you are assuming you lost them in the garage in much the same way as Treliving assumes Peters' and Gulutzan's brand of Corsi hockey is the way to win. You would be foolish for not at least checking a common sense place first, before upending the whole garage.
Why is it common sense to look in the couch when I said I lost them in the garage? Had my keys in my pocket when I went out to mow the lawn, know that because I was heading to the store to get some mower gas first.

These aren't non decision jobs. You hire a GM to have a plan and conviction in what he thinks is best for his team. If you hire a guy that is afraid to make a decision he'll have an exhaustive search so he can point to it if things don't go well.

Give me the decision maker that knows what he wants every time. If he's wrong you can let him go, which clearly would be your choice.