Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I guess VW cheated for nothing.
They all cheat. VW got caught. Subaru kind of advertises around active, outdoor lifestyles but they cheat just like the rest of them. Surely you can at least count on a company like Subaru to play fair. Right? Maybe not;

https://www.wsj.com/articles/subaru-...ata-1524839111

VAG is the largest auto manufacturer in the world so it's bigger news when they get caught and to be fair their cheating was also larger scale but most other automakers have been caught doing cheating on fuel economy and/or emissions.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #222
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, snark aside, looking back at that study, it is only one form of pollution they test and it is based on having a particulate filter that are known to clog in city driving conditions. They still emit 10x as much NOx as gas vehicles. I also wouldn't be all that surprised of this was another study faked by Volkswagon, or at least fooled by them since they probably did their tests on vehicles with defeat devices.

Hell, just reading the study I find disturbing flaws in their conclusions:

Quote:
The grey line gives the time-integrated median of the distribution (i.e. from the test start to the denoted time, lower than the time-resolved ratio for much of the cycle due to the high absolute concentrations and low gasoline:diesel THC during the cold start, and below unity, indicating that total gasoline exhaust THC emissions are higher). Note the logarithmic scale in both panels. While THC emissions from diesel cars are up to one order of magnitude higher than gasoline emissions during almost the entire driving period, gasoline emissions are up to two orders of magnitudes higher when the catalyst is cold. Because of the cold start effect, integrated emissions from gasoline cars exceed diesel, even after a journey of several kilometres (~14 km). This effect is more pronounced at −7 °C (SI Fig. S3).
Now, they mention a distance in km, but their chart shows time which is probably a much better indication of how people run their vehicles. After about 300 seconds(5 min) the warm gas is doing far better than the diesel. Sure, the -7 is worse, but I'd argue the majority of vehicles are driven above that anyway. And after 15 minutes it is basically a wash.

I also can't even figure out what vehicles/engines they ran these tests on, or how many they used. Was the sample representative? Who knows!

I did a bit of a search but didn't find any other study that shared their conclusions. So I'm gonna stand by way prior statement, that the study and its conclusions are bull####.

Anyway... stand on a hill for 10 minutes breathing the air while vehicles drive by, and try to convince yourself you can't instantly pick out the diesels as the roll by.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #223
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
First time I have seen somebody called a diesel engine as an insult.
I hope it catches on.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #224
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They all cheat.
On the scale and scope of what VW did, not even close.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #225
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

what I really enjoy is when the knuckle draggers chip their Cummin's equipped Dodges or Power stroke Fords or Duramax Chevy's - those things just roll out the black smoke at low rpms - pure unburnt fuel - thanks for that
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #226
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the scale and scope of what VW did, not even close.
Like I said VAG is the largest auto manufacturer in the world. Anything they do will be of a larger scale than small companies like Subaru or Mitsubishi do it. Chrysler and GM have done it as well. It's really like blood doping at the Tour de France. Everyone was doing it but it didn't become a big story until the big fish got caught.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-07-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #227
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's not like that at all. There is no top down initiative at GM and Chrysler to specifically write software on a platform level to cheat emissions tests. VW did it because they knew it was not otherwise possible to compete with gas and hybrid drivetrains in efficiency, power and drivability.

If there was VW would have tweaked the software and continued using diesel engines as their foundation powerplants. Credit to them they got smart and are going forward with electric.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #228
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone found a reputable, informative, fact based review of the gross 'carbon footprint' or emissions output of an electric vehicle compared to a currently operational gas burner?
It would be a huge scope, but it would very much interest me. Tailpipe emissions are one thing. But I'd be interested in environmental cost of the electricity and battery, right from mining the lithium to prematurely lifecycling vehicles to replace.
After all, light vehicle traditional fuel passenger transportation makes up something like 1/3 of 1/3 of greenhouse gas emissions. If it were between projects like damming the Peace River so people can drive electric behemoths, or people driving sensible, fuel efficient gasoline vehicles, I choose fuel.
Not to rain on the eco parade, but much like the Ethanol push of the 2000s, I do wonder how long before the true cost of 'green' electric cars is established.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #229
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I can not wait for the stupid "FOORDDD" "RAAAMM" written in big block letters on the grill to go out of style on trucks. It's horrible.
Funny thing is people actually order custom grills for other trucks to keep up.

Spoiler!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:24 AM   #230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Has anyone found a reputable, informative, fact based review of the gross 'carbon footprint' or emissions output of an electric vehicle compared to a currently operational gas burner?
It would be a huge scope, but it would very much interest me. Tailpipe emissions are one thing. But I'd be interested in environmental cost of the electricity and battery, right from mining the lithium to prematurely lifecycling vehicles to replace.
After all, light vehicle traditional fuel passenger transportation makes up something like 1/3 of 1/3 of greenhouse gas emissions. If it were between projects like damming the Peace River so people can drive electric behemoths, or people driving sensible, fuel efficient gasoline vehicles, I choose fuel.
Not to rain on the eco parade, but much like the Ethanol push of the 2000s, I do wonder how long before the true cost of 'green' electric cars is established.
just search for "lifecycle electric car vs gas" you should find a few.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not like that at all. There is no top down initiative at GM and Chrysler to specifically write software on a platform level to cheat emissions tests. VW did it because they knew it was not otherwise possible to compete with gas and hybrid drivetrains in efficiency, power and drivability.

If there was VW would have tweaked the software and continued using diesel engines as their foundation powerplants. Credit to them they got smart and are going forward with electric.
You need to do some research. GM has also been accused of programming Duramax diesel engines to pass emissions tests and then scale back controls in real-world conditions. Please read;

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...heating-Claims

The big difference is that GM only markets the Duramax in North America while VW's scandal was on a worldwide scale. Likely every single automaker has cheated over the years. You can bury your head in the sand if you want but it is what it is.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-08-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #232
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The EV thread has a few links to some study's. If I remember correctly using coal fired electricity iEV was a wash or slightly better in total life cycle emissions. Most new electricity is Gas in Alberta therefore in Alberta an EV makes sense.

I think you need to add 25-50% of electric generation capacity in Alberta to go to 100% EV

And the Lithium and other Rare Earth metals supply question at worldwide scale battery requirements has not been resolved.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #233
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did a "high gas prices in Calgary" thread turn into an EV thread? The amount of EV's and hybrid vehicles in Alberta is so miniscule you can pretty well discount it as nothing relevant in this discussion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #234
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chrysler did it, too.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/05...eating-claims/
Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #235
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How did a "high gas prices in Calgary" thread turn into an EV thread? The amount of EV's and hybrid vehicles in Alberta is so miniscule you can pretty well discount it as nothing relevant in this discussion.

It was more a thing of, if I am in the market for a new car is it worth it to enter the EV market.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #236
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Has anyone purchased a more fuel efficient vehicle recently due to high gas prices?
We picked up our new vehicle yesterday. We didn't buy because of gas prices but our final choice was the vehicle with much better gas mileage.

For us it was between the latest version of our current Sante Fe and the Mazda CX-5.

Mazda's economy is around 8.9 and hyundai's engine was the same stats as our current vehicle (around 12). At least Mazda is constantly trying to improve their engines fuel economy.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalCarpenter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #237
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It was more a thing of, if I am in the market for a new car is it worth it to enter the EV market.
If you can afford it and want to go that direction you may as well kick the tires and test drive some hybrids or EV's.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #238
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Woke up this morning and looked at my gas gauge, I had 30 km's left.

Please please I said as I turned the key.

Yes gas had dropped from $1.34 to 1.26. So I put in 30 bucks worth which will give me about 10 days of gas.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #239
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

We’re up to $1.38. Exciting times.

$1.60 in Vancouver apparently.

Last edited by stampsx2; 07-05-2018 at 08:25 AM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #240
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Worth a bump- gas prices are going up to 104.9 today. Fill up if you are low and if you can still find it under 90¢. (84.9¢ seems to be about the lowest.)
What a difference a year makes.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: