Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #41
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
I watch games to hopefully see the team perform well and cheer for winning. I dunno, otherwise what's the point of watching/following every game? Don't get me wrong, obviously and logically high picks are great in this situation. But I can't shake my desire to want the team to play well and hopefully win games.
For me, it's about the meaning of wins. Sure, a win now would be fun but it would be meaningless. By that I mean that really it doesn't help us get home ice for the playoffs or even get to the playoffs, a win now would work against our future. I want wins when wins matter and right now they don't. If we get a better player in the draft, that player will help us get wins when we need them and they matter. And people are going to say "that's what the oilers do" but they do that every year and usually by december, that's not what's happening now. Realistically, a loss tonight would benefit the team more then a win would providing they don't go out there trying to lose because that's not good for anyone.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #42
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Kind of funny that lots of posters are acting like if the Flames were trying to win they'd start Ortio.

Joni Ortio
0-6-2
.889 Sv%
3.33 GAA

I agree they should start Ortio over Hiller because I like watching him play and he's younger, but who cares really, both goalies suck. Let's just be honest.

GFG! 5-2 Flames
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #43
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
For me, it's about the meaning of wins. Sure, a win now would be fun but it would be meaningless. By that I mean that really it doesn't help us get home ice for the playoffs or even get to the playoffs, a win now would work against our future. I want wins when wins matter and right now they don't. If we get a better player in the draft, that player will help us get wins when we need them and they matter. And people are going to say "that's what the oilers do" but they do that every year and usually by december, that's not what's happening now. Realistically, a loss tonight would benefit the team more then a win would providing they don't go out there trying to lose because that's not good for anyone.
I get that, but do people really cheer for a loss?

Personally, I still want the team to win. But now I don't get pissed off when we lose.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #44
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unlike most fans, Treliving is a man with a long-term vision. He knows the season is done. Why bother trying to make up ground and thus lose out on a good draft position? I think he's fine with Hartley playing Hiller as he knows it's more Matthew points. He'll never come out and say it, but at this point in the season his main priority is getting as high a draft pick as possible. Playing Hiller allows for that.

I'll never come out and flat out say I want the Flames to lose to get the higher pick. But deep down, I know it's the right thing at this point in the season. I'm sure BT feels the same.

As long as the team plays hard and Gaudreau keeps padding his stats, I'll be happy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #45
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Any chance Ortio has been sent down and its Backstrom backing up tonight? That would sort of make sense of this...maybe
Good point. Ortio was an emergency call-up so if Backstrom is available I think that means Ortio must be sent down (or presumably can stay up if Calgary burns the second of their four recalls)?

Not sure why Tuesday's game wouldn't have triggered this though... perhaps some CBA rule that governs when players can be sent up/down?
According to Tuesday's boxscore Backstrom was in fact a healthy scratch on Tuesday.

EDIT: Did some digging -- apparently Ortio's recall was just a regular recall; the exception for "emergency" recalls doesn't apply until after the trade deadline and the "4 recall" rule kicks in.

Last edited by tvp2003; 03-03-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #46
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I can't believe how gleefully so many posters accept tanking and or losing.

High draft picks dont guarantee anything. You need a competent GM who can build a complete team.

We already have 3 high draft picks, and 2 guys who came out of left field in the 4th. Is a 2nd or 3rd overall the answer? Could be, but I'm not so sure.
Who are the three high draft picks? Hamilton doesn't really count, because he was drafted by Boston with Toronto's pick.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #47
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #48
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think it's funny to hammer on fans for what they want ... win, loss. It's not about them. It's about the team's players and decision makers.

The Oilers moving Perron last year was a team tank move. Oiler fans hoping for McDavid is pretty much human and doesn't bother me.

the Flames moved out assets that are expiring when they saw they weren't going to make the playoffs, that is prudent.

Hartley and Hiller? If this was the first head scratcher all season I think people would be on to something, but his stable of work suggests he likes veterans over youth in any sort of a tie breaker and therefore he seems pretty consistent.

Me? I want a top three pick. But I want the team to compete hard and show pride. This losing streak has been both in my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #49
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Well some people will be happy. Gaudreau and Bennett paired up at morning skate

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
Looks like #Flames top line tonight with be Gaudreau, Bennett and Frolik.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Any chance Ortio has been sent down and its Backstrom backing up tonight? That would sort of make sense of this...maybe
Pretty much none IMO.

If they were running with a 23 man roster, a 3rd goalie would take up a spot that is needed.

But they are running with a 20 man roster so that they can call guys up on emergency calls if anyone gets hurt.

That being the case, Backstrom doesn't cause any kind of problem whatsoever
Old 03-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

#Flames lines at morning skate in Buffalo ...
Gaudreau-Bennett-Frolik
Ferland-Monahan-Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Hathaway
Bollig-Stajan-Jooris

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames proj. pairings vs. #Sabres:
Giordano-Brodie
Engelland-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Nakladal
Goaltenders:
Hiller (Starter)
Ortio
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #52
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Pretty much none IMO.

If they were running with a 23 man roster, a 3rd goalie would take up a spot that is needed.

But they are running with a 20 man roster so that they can call guys up on emergency calls if anyone gets hurt.

That being the case, Backstrom doesn't cause any kind of problem whatsoever
You're correct. Just read that Ortio is on the ice in Buffalo.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #53
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just as I have been saying in other threads Ortio is no longer in the long term plans. Hartley is not a fan and I'm not sure if it's a behind the scenes thing but it's just not going to happen for Ortio with this organization.
Ortio has played 4 of the last 5 games (or something like that). Doesn't exactly sound like he is no longer in the plans.

Now they are playing a non-playoff team.

It seems to me that Hiller is getting the 'back-up' start.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #54
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
#Flames lines at morning skate in Buffalo ...
Gaudreau-Bennett-Frolik
Ferland-Monahan-Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Hathaway
Bollig-Stajan-Jooris
I like thst second line. Some big bodies to throw at the Eichel line
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #55
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Ortio's failing in practise again...hehe. Over the Hill-er earned it during practise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau on Bennett's line may be to get him away from Kane.

Wasn't Kane hacking and whacking him pretty good last game?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #57
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Love the idea of Gaudreau-Bennett. Frolik gives them a responsible winger whose shown some chemistry with Bennett.

I also like Monahan surrounded by a couple bigger wingers. That type of line in theory could really help us in the Pacific division by giving us better match ups against big lines.

Gonna be a fun game. Hoping for a good effort but a close loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #58
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Well some people will be happy. Gaudreau and Bennett paired up at morning skate

Looks like #Flames top line tonight with be Gaudreau, Bennett and Frolik.
So good for Monahan

He needs to be the focal point of a line and not the guy that runs out and puts the next golf ball on the tee for Gaudreau.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #59
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lineup here, lineup there. It really doesn īt matter if you have Swiss emental cheese clown in net. Even the best possible lineup you can imagine would have lost with this ultracrap in net. That is huge shame for Flames to have this goalie even on a roster...... to actually play him??? That is even bigger shame.

Last edited by calgaryboy; 03-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #60
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

YES.

This is the time to experiment with lines. Sam at C. Sam with Johnny. Do like.

Now lose this 6-5. Play hard, get our young guys some confidence, and hang the loss on Hiller. If the goalie is 'the issue' and you 'fix' that position in the off season, it shouldn't affect team morale next year or start a 'loser culture'. And better to hang the loss on Hiller than young Ortio...

Big 2 matthews points!
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin