Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #141
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Can Canada's men's sevens team get any worse. They are unbelievably bad at the moment / not even remotely competitive / getting smoked often / when was the last time they even won a game?
Because the are forced to play two sports.

I have said this before, and discussed it with Slava:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/su...nada-1.3562037

Quote:
The repechage tournament coincides with the three 15s tests in June. "None of the 7s boys will be available for those stops because of Olympic qualification and hopefully preparation for Rio," says Nathan Hirayama, a member of Canada's two national rugby teams.

Hirayama has first-hand experience dealing with the challenges of shifting between the two versions of rugby. For Hirayama and other dual-team members like John Moonlight and Conor Trainor, navigating the schedules of two national teams can be difficult.

"It's playing two different sports basically, so it is difficult," says Hirayama. "It was a handful of us right out of Pan Am Games in Toronto who knew we'd be going into the 15s full for the summer, and we were all hoping to make that World Cup team."
From the Horse's mouth.

That being said this was out of this world skill!!!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #142
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=95187

I am very happy and excited for a my friend. He live in Calgary.

Quote:
d by new head coach Mark Anscombe, Rugby Alberta’s Graeme Moffat has been named Canada’s assistant coach. Moffat was Canada’s attack coach at last year’s Rugby World Cup and the Americas Rugby Championship earlier this year. Moffat will continue to develop rugby in the province and will be with the team for all competition windows.

“I’m really looking forward to working with Graeme,” Anscombe said. “He’s done well with the Prairie Wolf Pack and has obviously been involved in the national team setup recently. He’s a promising coach that I look forward to working with.”

“I’m excited to be back and looking forward to carrying on from last year’s Rugby World Cup and the ARC earlier this year,” said Moffat. “I’ve had some great conversations with Mark and I’m eager for the summer ahead.”

Quote:
Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #143
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Because the are forced to play two sports.
What about the Ioane brothers and a couple other Kiwis who have been playing Super Rugby and Sevens this season?

Yes, I realise "but the All Blacks can do it" is not a great argument.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #144
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah I don't get the two sports thing either. It's not like they are any good at 15's either. Cobbling together a team isn't helping either team. They should just split them now and work on their depth by adding new players and young players. Not like they would be doing any worst than getting smoked by Russia et. al.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #145
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
What about the Ioane brothers and a couple other Kiwis who have been playing Super Rugby and Sevens this season?

Yes, I realise "but the All Blacks can do it" is not a great argument.
Quote:
Yeah I don't get the two sports thing either. It's not like they are any good at 15's either. Cobbling together a team isn't helping either team. They should just split them now and work on their depth by adding new players and young players. Not like they would be doing any worst than getting smoked by Russia et. al.
FG, you are siting exceptions to the rule.

Listen this isn't random internet guy saying 7's and 15's are "different" sports.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-and-15s.html

I am basing this off my playing experience (27 years of 15's and 7's, albeit at the Provincial level) and talking to national coaches/players.

On a local Alberta note, if you are in Edmonton this weekend you should check this out.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/201...d-blues-match/

Quote:
raeme Moffat has named 26 players to prepare for the Alberta Select XV match against the Ontario Blues at Ellerslie Park in Edmonton on Sunday. While the team will not officially play under the Wolf Pack banner, the game will serve as a prelude to the Canadian Rugby Championship season which begins in March, where a large number of the players involved will look to defend their CRC title.
Quote:
FORWARDS
John Braddock (Rams), Peter Houlihan (Druids), Ryan Kotlewski (Saints), Nick McAuley (Saints), Matt Harrison (St. Albert), Wayde Hodgen (Hornets), Casey Reed (Clansmen), Eric Lopatinsky (Hornets), Connor Sorensen (Saints), Conor Turner (Hornets), Jonny Clarke (St. Albert), Orrin Farries (St. Albert), Kyle Morrison (Nor’westers), Clay Panga (St. Albert)

BACKS
Jake Bentley (Canucks), Jake Robinson (St. Albert), Gordon McRorie (Hornets), Joe Erlic (Clansmen), Matt Mackenzie (Clansmen), Mozac Samson (Saints), Aaron Evison (Druids), Duncan Maguire (St. Albert), Ian Shoults (Irish), Graham Turner (Hornets), Dave Evans (Bow Valley), Liam O’Hallahan (Grande Prairie)
I am happy to see Wade Hodgen in the squad, really promising you player that played down in NZ and just finished as season over in Scotland.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #146
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada won a Sevens match! 24-19 over Samoa.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #147
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
League gives you the opportunity to travel to Yorkshire.
Yorkshire is absolutely beautiful.

There's definitely a huge North/South disparity with League vs. Union (in England); therefore, some people grow up League and some people grow up Union. I've grown up League, and to be honest, I prefer the speed of the game. I think that uncontested rucks and scrums encourage more athletic front rowers, and make it a bit quicker.

Having said that, if Union's on the TV I'll watch. I'll also try to make a point of watching the International Tests/6 Nations/World Cup, but definitely Rhinos >> all else
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #148
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flame View Post

There's definitely a huge North/South disparity with League vs. Union (in England); therefore, some people grow up League and some people grow up Union. I've grown up League, and to be honest, I prefer the speed of the game. I think that uncontested rucks and scrums encourage more athletic front rowers, and make it a bit quicker.

Having said that, if Union's on the TV I'll watch. I'll also try to make a point of watching the International Tests/6 Nations/World Cup, but definitely Rhinos >> all else
Yorkshire is lovely.

My mother's family comes from Brighouse so I have been there many times. I had some of the best Fish & Chips of my life there. Also spent many a night in my uncle's working man's club.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #149
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flame View Post

Nothing against Yorkshire. Just pointing out from an Australian point of view that League players get to travel to Northern England while Union players get to travel to Paris, Rome, Cape Town, Buenes Aires, etc.

Lots of good rugby in Sydney at the moment. I saw the Waratahs smash the Chiefs last night in what was possibly the most entertaining rugby game I have ever been to. There were 10 tries!

Also, Wednesday night is the opening game of the Rugby League State of Origin Series between New South Wales and Queensland (Go the Maroons!). I consider this to be the highest quality Rugby League in the world. If you are not a fan of league, check it out and you will be converted.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #150
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing against Yorkshire. Just pointing out from an Australian point of view that League players get to travel to Northern England while Union players get to travel to Paris, Rome, Cape Town, Buenes Aires, etc.

Lots of good rugby in Sydney at the moment. I saw the Waratahs smash the Chiefs last night in what was possibly the most entertaining rugby game I have ever been to. There were 10 tries!

Also, Wednesday night is the opening game of the Rugby League State of Origin Series between New South Wales and Queensland (Go the Maroons!). I consider this to be the highest quality Rugby League in the world. If you are not a fan of league, check it out and you will be converted.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Old 06-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #151
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

The All Blacks take to the field for the first time since winning the world cup tonight in Auckland against Wales. Two amazing stats going into this one:

-The All Blacks are on a 38 game home winning streak. The last time they lost at home was in 2009 against South Africa.

-The All Blacks winning streak at Eden Park, tonight's venue, is at 35 games dating back to 1994 against France. This match was the late Jonah Lomu's first test cap.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #152
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, I hope UCB is ok, he hasn't posted since starting that thread about health problems...
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #153
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada fought hard down to the wire but a try was held up on the last play and they drop a close one to Japan. It was a pretty fun game to watch and Canada was in control it seemed...until Japan went down to 14 men on a pretty dirty play. Then Japan scored I think 10 unanswered and were in the clear by two scores. Canada needed a try to win and they were really close.

I think it bodes well for Canada though as they played a lot of subs and worked everyone into the game. They really lost this one on the backs of their kicking, as they were terrible both in conversions and penalties. Leaving I think 12 points on the table. Next up is Russia right here in Calgary next Saturday afternoon.

I watched a bit of Ireland/SA today with the Irish getting the better of the Boks despite being down to 14 men. I don't have video to link, but there was also a big hit on a kick block where the SA player was knocked out and had to be stretchered off. It was a clear yellow, as he got the hip in the face and it didn't seem incredibly malicious...but then he did nail the kicker after he kicked and it was a card. Big upset for Ireland regardless though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didnt catch all of it but that drive at the end where they got held up? Bah! Amazing. Lots of potential.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #155
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I didnt catch all of it but that drive at the end where they got held up? Bah! Amazing. Lots of potential.
I really thought that they should go wide with it at the end. Clearly Japan was just stacking their players against the pack at that point. Its always easier at home though!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #156
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Also, I hope UCB is ok, he hasn't posted since starting that thread about health problems...
Still warm the blood that courses through my veins, just had a death to deal with. The Game Played in Heaven got another player, sadly it was far too soon.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #157
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I really thought that they should go wide with it at the end. Clearly Japan was just stacking their players against the pack at that point. Its always easier at home though!
White Line fever.

It Canada makes more kicks they win the game. Gordie had a bad day with the boot, he's usually better.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #158
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
We are heading to Australia this September and will in Brisbane for the Sept 10th match of the Wallabies vs. S. Africa (and/or possibly Perth Sept 17 vs. Argentina). I've never seen a live rugby game and am super pumped to try and get tickets for this.

Any idea on how to best get tickets?? I've signed up for the presales online, but any other options?
PUMPED!!! We ended up getting tickets yesterday through the presale. I had softball so couldnt jump on as it opened, but the seats are in Sec 339, row 21 (right on the sec 340 aisle). Had lots of options in Row 1, but I wanted to be up a bit higher to see the full field.

Will be our first major rugby game...so jacked.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #159
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canada beat Russia pretty easily in Calgary in fifteens rugby. Unfortunately in sevens rugby Canada bombed out of the Olympics losing to the Russians. They dropped the final round robin game before that to Germany which is hard to believe. No Olympics and going backwards in sevens. They need a total housecleaning and a new approach.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #160
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada beat Russia pretty easily in Calgary in fifteens rugby. Unfortunately in sevens rugby Canada bombed out of the Olympics losing to the Russians. They dropped the final round robin game before that to Germany which is hard to believe. No Olympics and going backwards in sevens. They need a total housecleaning and a new approach.
Yeah watched some of that tourney, the skills on display were shocking.

That being said, I did fist pump Spain, good on them. Never gave up and stole if from Samoa (which makes the pain from Canada a but easier). Samoa has fallen off the map.

The fella that impressed me was the big Zimbabwean Sitta (sp?).

All in all it was a poor advert for a poor version of rugby.

Quote: