Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #122
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN has come to their senses and the Super Rugby matches are now available on TSN Go on demand. I'm still not sure why they can't utilize one of their five feeds overnight for this, but having the games on demand is an improvement over having them only live in the middle of the night when hardly anyone can watch them.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/on-demand (scroll down a bit and you'll see a few games). Login required, as you'd expect with TSN Go.

Edit: And I just checked the TSN Go app, and they're on there too, so that's good.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 03-15-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #123
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada has a new men's 15's coach.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=94528

Quote:
The 59-year-old New Zealander, who boasts an extensive background in international and professional rugby, takes over from the long-serving Kieran Crowley and Interim Head Coach Francois Ratier.

In 2011, as Head Coach of New Zealand’s Under-20 Team, Anscombe helped secure a fourth successive title at the IRB Junior World Championships in Italy, having previously been an Assistant for the National Under-20 side in 2008, 2009 and 2010.
"We're very excited to have Mark joining our coaching staff as we look to continue developing our Men’s Program towards qualification for the 2019 RWC in Japan," said Dixon. "Our Selection Committee went through an extensive application and interview process and there were a number of highly qualified candidates from around the world."

Anscombe was appointed Head Coach of Ulster ahead of the 2012/2013 campaign and his team started the season with an unprecedented 14 wins. In Anscombe’s first season in charge they finished top of the league, narrowly losing the final to Leinster. Before moving to Belfast, Anscombe also had a three-year spell as Head Coach of the Auckland ITM Cup side.
"Having worked with quality organizations like New Zealand’s Under-20 Team, Ulster and Auckland in the ITM Cup, Mark brings a wealth of international and professional experience to our organization. As we enhance our domestic program over the next 12-18 months and prepare for RWC2019 qualification, Mark’s experience and leadership will be vital” added Dixon. “Importantly, we feel Mark’s coaching style, playing philosophy and understanding of the environments our internationally based players compete in is a great fit for this program.”
Also, of note:

Quote:
For the first-time ever, Canada’s Men’s Fifteens Team will have a centralized, full-time program beginning in August at the Canadian Rugby Centre of Excellence in Langford, BC. Over 20 athletes will have access to a high-performance daily training environment, world-class coaching, sport science and medical facilities throughout the year to prepare for international competition.
Knowing Rugby Canada this will fall through:

Quote:
At this time, Anscombe’s commencement is subject to Canadian Immigration requirements and both Anscombe and Rugby Canada are working with the Canadian Immigration Department to meet the requirements for him to be able to begin employment.
"We have a new coach, but not really, yet"

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Old 04-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #124
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no, David Pocock has been suspended!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...a97ef41e84dff5

Quote:
Duty judicial officer Adam Cassleden accepted the Wallabies back-rower’s admission that he’d committed an act of foul play by dangerously holding a player without the ball.

He deemed the incident merited only a low-end sanction of two weeks, plus one week for aggravation.

“However, taking into account mitigating factors including the player’s early plea, his good character, his genuine remorse and his excellent disciplinary record I reduced the suspension to a period of two weeks,” Cassleden said in a statement.
As much as I dislike star player missing games (including a visit to Sydney!) it is refreshing to see dangerous plays to the head and neck taken seriously. The NHL could learn a lot from rugby.

Edit: Pocock has issued an apology (take note Duncan Keith!):

Quote:
Yesterday I faced the judiciary for the first time in my rugby career. I am incredibly disappointed with my actions. I endeavour to play the game I love in a way that reflects the kind of toughness and decency I think rugby can teach us.
On Saturday night I did not live up to those standards, placing Michael Leitch in danger by binding on his neck in a maul. It was not my intention to hurt Michael, but in these sorts of circumstances it is not intention that matters. I am grateful that World Rugby and SANZAAR are concerned about making the game safer for all of us.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again to Michael. And to apologise to the Chiefs, Brumbies and all those who follow rugby. I'd also like to apologise to my team mates who I will let down over the next few weeks while suspended.
Dave

Last edited by FireGilbert; 04-06-2016 at 04:46 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #125
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Oh no, David Pocock has been suspended!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...a97ef41e84dff5

As much as I dislike star player missing games (including a visit to Sydney!) it is refreshing to see dangerous plays to the head and neck taken seriously. The NHL could learn a lot from rugby.

Edit: Pocock has issued an apology (take note Duncan Keith!):
Pocock is all class.

Do the crime accept the time.

Best rugby player on the planet at the moment, IMO.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #126
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Exciting to see a Rugby League side getting a start in Canada! Hopefully it takes off.

Quote:
Toronto Wolfpack will join English rugby league's third tier from next season.

The Canada-based side will be coached by former Leigh boss Paul Rowley, while ex-Great Britain coach Brian Noble has been appointed as head of rugby.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/36149660

Last edited by Yorkshire Flame; 05-05-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #127
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty cool. Sucks that its league, but a cool way to structure things to have the Toronto team play in 4-5 week blocks like that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #128
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flame View Post
Exciting to see Rugby League side Rugby League getting a start in Canada! Hopefully it takes off.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/36149660
League, in bits and pieces has been around in Canada for a while, I recall back in the late 90's they poked around.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/toronto...ship-1.2879185

Quote:
he Toronto Wolfpack, a fledgling rugby league side launched this week, says it won't divulge its ownership.
On Wednesday, team founder and CEO Eric Perez said the ownership consortium consists of 10 businessmen who "all made their money in mining and resources."
"Some Canadian, a couple Australians, mostly Canadians though," he added.

Asked for a list of the owners, a club spokeswoman said Thursday via email: "The team is private and investor names aren't public information."
The Wolfpack plans to play in the third tier of English rugby league starting in March 2017.
Seems odd, but what eves.

This also launched in the US the other week:

http://www.prorugby.org/

There are a number of Canadian players (Nick Blevins a Calgary Hornet & Canada player is on a team). There are also a number of "older" players from over seas.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #129
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Sucks that its league
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yorkshire Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #130
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Rugby League talk please! Just as Calgarians spend their days discussing hockey, Sydneysiders spend their days discussing league.

I was just watching the test match the Australia Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis. The Aussies won 16-0 in what was a pretty dull game to be honest.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #131
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More Rugby League talk please! Just as Calgarians spend their days discussing hockey, Sydneysiders spend their days discussing league.

I was just watching the test match the Australia Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis. The Aussies won 16-0 in what was a pretty dull game to be honest.
I just can't get into watching League. I find it repetitive and frustrating that there is no contest for the ball.

I have played it and don't mind playing it, but again always struggled with my instinct to poach the ball.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #132
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just can't get into watching League. I find it repetitive and frustrating that there is no contest for the ball.

I have played it and don't mind playing it, but again always struggled with my instinct to poach the ball.
Any rugby is good rugby. I agree though that League is inferior due to the repetitiveness. League is also a much simpler game compared to the thinking man's Union. There are still some incredibly skilled players in League though and I appreciate the scoring rules which promote attacking try scoring rugby.

I know what version Sydneysiders prefer. There are eight professional League teams here compared to one professional Union team.

Interestingly two of my favourite rugby players, Sonny Bill Williams and Israel Folau both got their start playing League.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #133
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't watch much league unless it just happens to be on the tv at work, but the one thing I always find funny is when the ball carrier flops around after being tackled to try to draw a penalty. They should call embellishment like in hockey.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #134
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any rugby is good rugby. I agree though that League is inferior due to the repetitiveness. League is also a much simpler game compared to the thinking man's Union. There are still some incredibly skilled players in League though and I appreciate the scoring rules which promote attacking try scoring rugby.

I know what version Sydneysiders prefer. There are eight professional League teams here compared to one professional Union team.

Interestingly two of my favourite rugby players, Sonny Bill Williams and Israel Folau both got their start playing League.
The tide has turned, there use to be a flow of Union players to League, back in the 70's & 80's. But since Union went professional in the early 90's it has changed and is (IMO) a one way street.

Also, how do you leave this man off that list:

Spoiler!

Quote:
Old 05-10-2016, 05:38 AM   #135
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I don't watch much league unless it just happens to be on the tv at work, but the one thing I always find funny is when the ball carrier flops around after being tackled to try to draw a penalty. They should call embellishment like in hockey.
The issue is tacklers holding on to the player to allow their teammates to get back onside so they have no choice but to flop around. The refs need to be better policing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The tide has turned, there use to be a flow of Union players to League, back in the 70's & 80's. But since Union went professional in the early 90's it has changed and is (IMO) a one way street.

Also, how do you leave this man off that list:

Spoiler!
Now that the salaries are equal Union has a huge advantage with the opportunity to travel all over the world. League gives you the opportunity to travel to Yorkshire.

Haha, didn't forget Thorny, just going with active players. That guy is a bloody legend in Queensland.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #136
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The issue is tacklers holding on to the player to allow their teammates to get back onside so they have no choice but to flop around. The refs need to be better policing this.

Now that the salaries are equal Union has a huge advantage with the opportunity to travel all over the world. League gives you the opportunity to travel to Yorkshire.

Haha, didn't forget Thorny, just going with active players. That guy is a bloody legend in Queensland.
Have you been to Huddersfield, its lovely....

Actually, one thing that League in the UK got right was moving away from a season in the dead of winter.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #137
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of cool

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-36279307

Quote:
A rugby rule book dating back to 1851 has sold for £13,000 at auction.
It measures 8.4cm by 5cm (3.3in by 1.9in) and is called The Laws of Football as Played at Rugby School.
The inside cover says H Waddington, October 3rd 1851 and it is believed to have belonged to William Henry Waddington, the former prime minister of France, who went to Rugby School.
Quote:
ugby rules in 1851
No one wearing projecting nails, iron plates, or gutta percha (a protective material), on the soles or heels of his boots or shoes, shall be allowed to play
All matches are drawn after five days, or after three days if no goal is kicked
No hacking with the heel, or unless below the knee, is fair
The ball must be place-kicked and not dropped - and if it touch two hands the try will be lost
No player may take the ball out of the close, i.e behind the line of trees beyond the goal

Quote:
Old 05-14-2016, 01:45 AM   #138
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reds vs Hurricanes in Wellington is on right now. I'm hoping for a close one but expecting a blood bath.

The NZ teams are just too good this year. Hard to believe a 5 team conference has the top 4 teams in an 18 team league. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see all NZ semi finals.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #139
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can Canada's men's sevens team get any worse. They are unbelievably bad at the moment / not even remotely competitive / getting smoked often / when was the last time they even won a game?
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #140
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Can Canada's men's sevens team get any worse. They are unbelievably bad at the moment / not even remotely competitive / getting smoked often / when was the last time they even won a game?
Canada's last win was in Singapore against the Rugby powerhouse of South Korea. Agreed they are horrible right now. They have a few good players but absolutely no depth.

In other Sevens news, former Australian Rugby League star turned San Francisco 49ers bench warmer, Jarryd Hayne has retried from the NFL after one season in an attempt to join the Fiji Sevens team at the Olympics.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ja...937946104ee944

I don't know how easy it is to switch from American Football to Sevens in a few months, especially trying to join the best team in the world, but good luck to him.