Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #21
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be really ugly. Hopefully the Ducks are full of Turkey today.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

backlund has to be up taking monohan's spot. he best make use of it!!!

in the last 7 games, guy has 1 point and is a -6 over that period. if he can't make use of the opportunity, then not sure what his purpose is in the nhl.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any news on the expected lines for today??

I saw some in the IR thread for Wideman and Monahan but they were only speculation following the injuries.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
backlund has to be up taking monohan's spot. he best make use of it!!!

in the last 7 games, guy has 1 point and is a -6 over that period. if he can't make use of the opportunity, then not sure what his purpose is in the nhl.
Playing on the 4th line...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #25
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Will feel weird not watching this game live.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a feeling it'll be Colborne taking Monahan's spot and Backlund taking Colborne's spot.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Playing on the 4th line...
i agree, but at what point do we draw the conclusion that backlund is a secondary player who simply doesn't drive play and make his linemates better? it has also been difficult to justify viewing him as a solid defensive/checking center.

i've been a fan of backlund ever since he was drafted, but continue to wait for him to actually become an effective player at the NHL level. if he isn't looking at monohan's injury as a window of opportunity to prove that he belongs, then i'd be very disappointed. Hopefully today's the start of the turnaround for him.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I have a feeling it'll be Colborne taking Monahan's spot and Backlund taking Colborne's spot.
that would be totally justified. Colborne has been looking great of late.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #29
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This would be my best guess for lines:
Cammalleri Stajan Stempniak
Baertschi Backlund Hudler
Bouma Colborne Jones
Jones Byron Reinhart

Brodie Russell
Butler Smid
Obrien Smith

The last line for forwards is a hope, but I would imagine grats will be in and one of Reinhart or Byron will sit
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I don't know if that's what will happen, but I think that's probably the best option. It would put some size on the line between Baertschi and Hudler, and I thought Backlund and Bouma showed some good chemistry together a few games ago. Fourth line should be Blair Jones between Reinhart and McGrattan since Jones has more experience as a centre at the NHL level.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody seems to care that this is Jackman's first game against us since the trade? How soon we forget.

Ducks are missing a lot of D-men (Souray, Sbisa, B. Allen, Beauchemin) and Fasth is out. Koivu is a gametime decision. Unless Getzlaff, Perry, and Penner destroy us single-handedly (or Selanne FFS) they should still have a chance. Although, we did see Kane almost destroy us by himself the other night, so yeah...could happen.

I think their top d-pairing is Fowler with Lovejoy or Lindholm. Not a lot of experience there and if the Flames can forecheck at all they should be giving them fits. Perfect time to see Byron-Jones-Reinhart play some significant minutes.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
i agree, but at what point do we draw the conclusion that backlund is a secondary player who simply doesn't drive play and make his linemates better? it has also been difficult to justify viewing him as a solid defensive/checking center.

i've been a fan of backlund ever since he was drafted, but continue to wait for him to actually become an effective player at the NHL level. if he isn't looking at monohan's injury as a window of opportunity to prove that he belongs, then i'd be very disappointed. Hopefully today's the start of the turnaround for him.
This is where Stajan was under Sutter. You put him on the 4th line and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that Backlund proves you right.

Agree with you though that if Backlund doesn't make use of this chance, he is likely out the door. I still think he will show himself to be a very useful player in this league whether it is with the Flames or another team.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe a dumb question, but why aren't all the day time matchups between american tetams only (where there's a holiday).

Doesn't make much sense to have a canadian team playing during the day time on a canadian business day. Would assume viewership of all american matchups would be a much better value from a attendance/tv-ratings perspective?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Tim Jackman gets a hat trick
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kind of a random question but I am curious. I understand most of you guys are working and are PVRing the game today. Do you guys still follow the game and see who scores or do you turn off all notifications and watch the game later without knowing the results. Every time I have PVRed a game I don't like to know the results. Am I the only one who does that?
MyFlamesFirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #36
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Took yesterday off to drink beer and watch football so today I guess I need to hunker down in my office and get some work done. Good thing I have a "conference call" at 1 so I will have to close the door for a few hours...
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wtf 2pm start!? Looks like ill be watching from the gym today
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #38
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlamesFirst View Post
Kind of a random question but I am curious. I understand most of you guys are working and are PVRing the game today. Do you guys still follow the game and see who scores or do you turn off all notifications and watch the game later without knowing the results. Every time I have PVRed a game I don't like to know the results. Am I the only one who does that?
Although I'll be watching live today, if I am PVR-ing the game, I normally try and avoid the result. I usually do this for evening games so I can get dinner over with, get my son to bed, etc. and then pour some wine or scotch. It is hard to do sometimes because you have avoid social media to prevent spoilers, but it is do-able if you have a little bit of discipline.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its not like it's the first time they have played an afternoon game on US Thanksgiving. There was the great Philly game of 2010 when Steve Staios scored in the third to tie it up and then Philly scored in OT but it was waived off because Pronger got called on an unsportsmanlike conduct call for waving his hand in Kipper face and then we won in the shootout. That game started at like 11 am.

Good times.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #40
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the afternoon games! Gives me a reason to not be productive
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin