Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #201
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bowmore 18, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 – it doesn't feel right if any of them are not present on my bar shelf even though I rarely drink anything alcoholic on weekdays.

On another note, I've got a bottle of Bunnahabhain Cruach-Mhona at the Heathrow duty free shop recently. Expected a lot based on the name and reputation; but did not like it one bit. Too much salt and the taste is empty.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #202
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quick question for the Macallan drinkers.

Which line would you consider to be their signature scotch. The Sherry Oak or the Fine Oak series? Both have a 12 years, 18 years I normally drink, but the Fine Oak has a deeper range. Looking to pick up a 30 year for my birthday.
They are also introducing a new line to keep with demand. It's based on colour rather than years.

http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/
Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #203
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lchoy

The last tasting that I attended at Willow park it was expressed that Macallan would be phasing out the 12/15/18 yo age statements. If you like a certain age ( myself I enjoy the 18) I would suggest picking up a few bottles and have them for future special occasions.

Also to answer you question I much prefer the Sherry Oak as the casks that it is aged in are made specifically for Macallan

Last edited by cavalera403; 07-04-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: finish answering the question
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #204
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
Lchoy

The last tasting that I attended at Willow park it was expressed that Macallan would be phasing out the 12/15/18 yo age statements. If you like a certain age ( myself I enjoy the 18) I would suggest picking up a few bottles and have them for future special occasions.
I could be wrong, but it looks like it's the 10/12/15 y/o that are being discontinued, so the 18 y/o will still be around, which is good because I quite like it.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/pos...-whiskies.aspx
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #205
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
If you like'em smoky and peaty under $100, try Bowmore line – 15, 17 and 18.
Then go with Ardbeg highest peat count available
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #206
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
Ardbeg 10yo
Bruchladdie peat
And if you want crazy peat and can spend a little,more than that the octomore is what you are looking for.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #207
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
I don't mind Ardbeg but find it too empty for my taste (similar to Laphroig, actually, but Laphroig is more of a "first love" for me). Peat and salt - yes, a plenty. Taste - not so much. I like'em more on the saturated side, like Lagavulin and Bowmore. Going to Scotland this summer and already booked tours with all three of my favourite Islay distilleries: Lagavulin, Bowmore, Laphroig. Hopefully, this will not affect my golf game too much.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #208
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Totally surprised how nice Johnnie Walker Swing is. For 45 bucks, crazy good value
Old 08-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #209
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently tried JW Swing myself and I agree.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #210
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a little plug. Friends of mine have opened a distillery in Belmont, MA if anyone is ever in the area - it's called Damnation Alley. They have a FB page but no website yet, that I know of - I imagine they're working on it. Anyway, if you're in the area ever, drop in and taste some of their wares. I believe they've gotten good reviews so far.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #211
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Ive been entrusted to buy my pops a bottle of Scotch for Christmas, but I know next to nothing about the drink. His favorite is apparently Oban, but it can be anything- if I did go with Oban, Im guessing there are a number of Oban varieties?

Any liquor stores in the SW that are a good place to go for scotch? What sort of price should i be looking at if I want to get a bottle that will be decent for a fairly regular Scotch drinker? I was planning on around $150, but really don't know what to budget.

Any advice appreciated.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #212
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Johnnie Walker Platinum. Should run about that. Sensational.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #213
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
If you like'em smoky and peaty under $100, try Bowmore line – 15, 17 and 18.
Laphroig quarter cask.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #214
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
So Ive been entrusted to buy my pops a bottle of Scotch for Christmas, but I know next to nothing about the drink. His favorite is apparently Oban, but it can be anything- if I did go with Oban, Im guessing there are a number of Oban varieties?

Any liquor stores in the SW that are a good place to go for scotch? What sort of price should i be looking at if I want to get a bottle that will be decent for a fairly regular Scotch drinker? I was planning on around $150, but really don't know what to budget.

Any advice appreciated.
You can get some great bottles for way less than $150. The thing to understand is that Oban is a single malt whisky. That doesn't mean you have to stick with single malt, but you should know that quite a few (I want to say almost all, but I know someone will call me out!) single malt enthusiasts don't drink much for blends (which is what Johnnie Walker is). Some of us just don't care, and just like a scotch, but I thought I would note the distinction.

In the SW the best shop for high end scotch is probably Willow Park. I have a hard time with them though. They definitely have some scotches that others don't, and a knowledgeable staff as well. Thing is that there are some scotches you can buy there for a significant amount less at say Superstore, which is the cheapest I've found for some excellent scotches.

The Oban 14 is a really nice scotch. You should be able to get a bottle of that within your budget. If you can't find one though, there are lots of others in your price range that should be well received (Dalwhinnie or Caol Ila strike me as at least somewhat similar).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #215
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you want go into willow park and talk to Dave and ask him. Has not steered me wrong yet. And I am one of those guys who prefers single malts, not going to jump anyone who likes blends just not my thing. Like Slava said, because his favourite is a single malt that is where I would stay.

For that price range highland park 18 is a can't miss single malt. It has a bit of everything from a little peat to fruits and and sweetness.

If he really likes the peat I would check out ardbeg 10 year old or if you can find it a cask strength 12 yo lagavulin
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #216
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Any advice appreciated.
Kensington Wine Market. OK, it's slightly NW, but they know their stuff and have a huge collection. It's also the local chapter of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.

$100-150 will get a nice bottle
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #217
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dave knows his stuff at Willowpark. Probably a premiere advisor in all of Canada.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #218
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody tried one of these before?

http://albertawhiskycake.com/
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #219
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Andrew at Kensington wine market I also a great resource if you go up there.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #220
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Any advice appreciated.
You are not a Scotch drinker. You are not a Scotch buyer. You don't care about rich selection and tips from Scotch connoisseurs. My advice, avoid Kensington WM and Willow Park. They are both great stores with good selections but they charge premiums for being fancy. Go to Costco Liquor Store and buy your Dad a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr old Scotch for $79. Same bottle sells for $115 at both KWM and Willow Park. Take my word for it, your Dad will love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: