Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #7881
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I would consider Laine and Jets first round pick for Johnny. Sign hall

Hall - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Bennett - Laine
Dube - Backlund - Mangiapane

That’s a pretty good top 6 and yup Flames will be screwed cap wise the following season but honestly If they can’t do anything with that group of forwards just tear it down.
Center is still too weak.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #7882
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Laine will one day quit hockey to become a full-time YouTuber who posts videos of himself playing Call of Duty.
and probably make more money
Old 09-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #7883
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
His rights would have zero value to the Jets. He’s not going there.

And I have no interest in Laine generally, much less giving Monny up for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You only trade for rights if you’re pretty sure of a signing (like Jaybo) but just want to ensure no one comes in with a giant offer, so that was my assumption.

But yeah, I agree on Monahan v. Laine.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #7884
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019/2020 Trade Speculation and Rumors 2.0

Double post
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #7885
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Based on the rumours (ie. nothing we can really use to make judgement) it sure sounds like the flames are looking at the gaudreau trade as a 'win now' trade only.

This has a phanuef type deal written all over it.

If the rumours are true, man Treliving and management continue to show a lack of ability to make an honest judgement of the team, almost year in and year out. Trading 1st/2nd round picks when the team ends up not being good, still early in the rebuild, vs not trying to use high value trade chips to, at least in part, invest in futures ("we're just a piece or two away though...")
To be fair, we still haven’t heard a legitimate Gaudreau rumour. All we have heard is that Treliving is testing the market on Gaudreau.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #7886
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabr...ct/c-319176580

Hard work has paid off for Curtis Lazar.

The Buffalo Sabres announced Thursday that the team has signed the forward to a two-year contract with an average annual value of $800,000
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Backstop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #7887
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
To be fair, we still haven’t heard a legitimate Gaudreau rumour. All we have heard is that Treliving is testing the market on Gaudreau.
We haven't even heard he's testing it, all we've heard is he's listening. Which is something a GM isn't doing, they should be fired.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #7888
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabr...ct/c-319176580

Hard work has paid off for Curtis Lazar.

The Buffalo Sabres announced Thursday that the team has signed the forward to a two-year contract with an average annual value of $800,000
Wish him nothing but the best. Said it then but we should have punted Stajan a bit earlier and let Lazar stay and grow as a 4th line centre.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #7889
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Wish him nothing but the best. Said it then but we should have punted Stajan a bit earlier and let Lazar stay and grow as a 4th line centre.
This contract says nothing about what Lazar is as a player. He's still somehow far below replacement level and had an ES CF% rel of -5.1 in 38 games this season.

He is just absolutely awful.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-25-2020 at 09:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #7890
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
We would need to trade for Palmieri, and adding another 30G RHS RW would hardly be underwhelming. Dont really want to shell out assets for him though.
Wrong wording on my part I meant just acquiring him in general not "signing" as in signing a free agent...

I dunno I feel he's underwhelming decent stats and a RH shot but I wouldn't wanna shell out assets for him either
Old 09-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #7891
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

11 days, 7 hours and 40'ish minutes until the draft which kicks off 3 days of change for the team.

Wish list:
- Pietrangelo
- Hall
- Markstrom
- Kuemper
- Drafting in the top-10
- Drafting multiple times in the first and second rounds
- Hanifin traded
- Ryan traded
- Kylington, Bennett, and Dube all having defined roster spots post-free agency (read: no overpaid bad depth free agents pushing them down the roster for no actual reason other than we signed them to bad contracts)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #7892
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I gotta say, signing Hall and trading Johnny for assets would be a net positive for the Flames going forward.

I think they are very comparable players, and when Johnny's contract is up, he will want more than what Hall will get in free agency.

The Flames have the cap space to make it happen, and seriously need to rebuild some assets.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #7893
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is interesting I have been thinking about signing Hall and trading Gaudreau for futures for months and months now but as the time nears I am starting to think the Flames chances to sign Hall are shrinking.

I just get the feeling he is going to take a 1 year 10-11M deal with the Avs to try and chase a cup.

The Avs are also the team I think will be our toughest competitor for Markstrom.

My last concern is if the Flames ownership will let Treliving spend to the max on free agents? If the Flames want Hall, or Pietrangelo (especially AP) they will need to go heavy on the bonuses, cap hit, and term. Does Flames ownership still have a willingness to spend to the cap like that?

My wishlist includes:
Hall in and Gaudreau our for high end futures
Markstrom signed
Pietrangelo signed or Dumba acquired at a reasonable price
If the Flames can land 2-3 of their big fish targets then Ryan, Rittich, Gaudreau, Hanifin are moved for cap space and futures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #7894
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is interesting I have been thinking about signing Hall and trading Gaudreau for futures for months and months now but as the time nears I am starting to think the Flames chances to sign Hall are shrinking.

I just get the feeling he is going to take a 1 year 10-11M deal with the Avs to try and chase a cup.

The Avs are also the team I think will be our toughest competitor for Markstrom.

My last concern is if the Flames ownership will let Treliving spend to the max on free agents? If the Flames want Hall, or Pietrangelo (especially AP) they will need to go heavy on the bonuses, cap hit, and term. Does Flames ownership still have a willingness to spend to the cap like that?

My wishlist includes:
Hall in and Gaudreau our for high end futures
Markstrom signed
Pietrangelo signed or Dumba acquired at a reasonable price
If the Flames can land 2-3 of their big fish targets then Ryan, Rittich, Gaudreau, Hanifin are moved for cap space and futures.
Nothing in recent history shows the Flames are unwilling to spend on players (or coaches, despite fan sentiment).

If Pietrangelo, Hall, Markstrom are all legit opportunities, I don't foresee cash being the reason we fail to sign them.

I don't buy Hall signing a 1 year deal. I think that's unfounded speculation. He'll be careful where he signs, but I expect he'll be inked for max-term...although I understand the waning hope of us signing him. It's what we've grown to expect. We've never landed free agents of his caliber.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #7895
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Nothing in recent history shows the Flames are unwilling to spend on players (or coaches, despite fan sentiment).

If Pietrangelo, Hall, Markstrom are all legit opportunities, I don't foresee cash being the reason we fail to sign them.

I don't buy Hall signing a 1 year deal. I think that's unfounded speculation. He'll be careful where he signs, but I expect he'll be inked for max-term...although I understand the waning hope of us signing him. It's what we've grown to expect. We've never landed free agents of his caliber.
I hope you are right. Seems like a lot of the insiders are pointing to the Avs going all in next year and Friedman even mentioned he thinks HLl could be interested in the Avs one year deal. The only “insider” that has been steadfast in Hall coming here is Eklund and there is a reason there is “” around insider when talking about him.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #7896
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Article on the Athletic from Aaron Portzline about the Blue jackets said to be thinking of buying out Alex Wennberg.

Last edited by MrMike; 09-25-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #7897
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Elite Prospects continues to rank Stutzle outside the top 5. One writer's latest has him at 6 behind Perfetti of all people. Interesting.

Of note, the same ranking has Quinn, Amirov and Halloway at 18-20. I'd be pleased if Calgary lands any of those three at the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #7898
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Article on the Athletic from Aaron Portzline about the Blue jackets said to be thinking of buying out Alex Wennberg.
I would take a flyer on this player.

He would be the 6th or 7th 2013 first rounder to suit up for Calgary?

Monahan
Lindholm
Klimchuk
Poirer
Rychel
Shinkaruk
Old 09-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #7899
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

Monahan
Lindholm
Klimchuk
Poirer
Rychel
Shinkaruk
Lazar
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #7900
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

Monahan
Lindholm
Klimchuk
Poirer
Rychel
Shinkaruk
Lazar was in that draft too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread