Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When Abrahms talked about the origin of the first order I loved the concept. Basically what if after the Nazi's fell the surviving leadership fled to south America and hid away and rebuilt their strength and evolved.

But it was too good to be true, because basically you would have gotten a bunch of the most incompetent phony tough guy surviving leaders taking over the Nazi's. The only thing that they did well was built Stormtroopers that could hit a target once in a while.

They really had a chance to really create a powerful add on and close to the Skywalker story, but instead they fell back on rebooting the original trilogy.

And after the OT the one thing that I liked about the PT is they got away from super weapons.

Instead in the ST they had to make a death star that could probably shoot death stars out of its main gun, and they took the Executor and made an even bigger ship.

Star Wars rebels really showed the power of the Imperial Navy and we finally got to see Star Destroyers in action, and I thought that was important.

Look I don't hate the ST, I just don't think its that good or noteworthy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #62
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

All this Star Wars talk makes me want to play X-Wing and Star Wars Rebellion. I wish they made a sequel to the Xwing series with you as a admiral, building and controlling your fleet.
underGRADFlame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #63
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Filming starts next week. Here's the cast announcement: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...cast-announced

Either the Keri Russell negotiations fell through, or they're waiting to announce her at a later date.

Billy Dee Williams, Mark Hamill, and Anthony Daniels all confirmed to be returning. Unused footage shot of Carrie Fisher for TFA will be used to allow Princess Leia to appear in the film.

Quote:
The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”
Old 07-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #64
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The easiest thing to do is have her die between episodes and have her making a speech via hologram.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #65
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's obvious who's going to be playing Leia. With Luke dead and Luke being Leia's twin - and therefore looking identical - Mark Hamill as Leia is the only sensible reason for him to still be cast.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #66
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

New cast members:

Naomi Ackie: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7609875/ --- She's a relative newcomer. Only 26 years old. A short list of credits to her name so far.

Richard E. Grant: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001290/ --- Not a newcomer. He has been around for a long time and has been in everything from Spice World to Downton Abbey. He looks like he was born to play an Imperial in a Star Wars movie. In fact, if you were casting someone to play Tarkin's son, you'd probably cast Richard E. Grant (not that I'm suggesting that's who he's playing).
Old 07-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #67
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nice, they'll get their character's from the Star Wars name generator

Her name according to the name generator is Naria Stryder His name shall be Helrun Dimodran

Old 07-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #68
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put Richard E. Grant in blue makeup and he could probably do a good job as Thrawn if they wanted to bring him into the movie universe. He's a bit too young since Thrawn was already a Grand Admiral before the events of Episode IV and Grant is a few years younger than Hamill, but that could be explained away by his species aging at a different rate from humans.

---------

Also, it looks like Keri Russell has officially been added to the cast list now. Apparently, she hadn't officially signed her contract this morning when the announcement was first made.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #69
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd expect that Thrawn is going to be left out in wild space after the events of Rebels, because frankly the question would come up, if Thrawn got back, where's Ezra Bridger.

I expect that they're either going to answer that question in Resistance or another series, as fans clamor for more Ashoka and Sabine Wren.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TLJ "sucking" contrary to vocal nay sayers beliefs is an opinion and not a fact.

Solo was the most fun SW film of the new bunch I think and it's a shame that it was rejected before most even saw it.

All that said, it feels like they're limited in terms of directions they can go for IX without injecting new characters and plot driving events into the film. Also carries gone, yet her character is very much alive so there's that. We'll see if Abrams can finish strong given that TLJ didn't play like a typical middle chapter and tied up some stories and loose ends prematurely.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
TLJ "sucking" contrary to vocal nay sayers beliefs is an opinion and not a fact.

Solo was the most fun SW film of the new bunch I think and it's a shame that it was rejected before most even saw it.

All that said, it feels like they're limited in terms of directions they can go for IX without injecting new characters and plot driving events into the film. Also carries gone, yet her character is very much alive so there's that. We'll see if Abrams can finish strong given that TLJ didn't play like a typical middle chapter.
I havent seen Solo yet, but the one that really resonates the most with me is still Rogue One.

I dont know why, it just has that 'Star Wars' feel to it.

That being said, I dont want to condemn Alden Ehrenreich point blank, but my wife and I watched 'The Age of Adeline' and Anthony Ingruber was the spitting image and voice of a young Harrison Ford, it was really impressive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #72
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Every time I see Rogue One on netflix my impulse is to watch it. Such a fun movie. It might also be that I play Imperial Assault and Rogue One is basically the same as that board game.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #73
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked Rogue one because it was different

1) These were ordinary people, and it harkened back to some of the better WW2 style impossible odds suicide missions

2) It really showed the overwhelming might of the Empire, they casually blasted a town and a Imperial base, it was completely ruthless, and in a lot of ways even more shocking then the destruction of Alderaan because of the casual nature of the destruction. They destroyed the town for no other reason then a test, and blasted the base and killed probably thousands of Imperials to get rid of a group of 5 rebels.

3) The ruthlessness of infighting, Krennic having the engineers shot, going to Vader to do a political hatchet job against Tarkin and gain the favor of the Emperor. In the book Dark Lords (I know, I know, Legends). But there was a scene between Vader and Tarkin and Vader mused that the real power of the Emperor was to make people want to do nothing more then please him, and that his other strength was pitting rivals against each other.

4) The Rebel alliance didn't really look all of that awesome and even though they won that battle against the Empire by getting plans out, the loss of men and ships and equipment couldn't have been more real and devastating.

5) How one sided a force user could be against people who don't have use of the force. In Dark Lord, Vader was somewhat sympathetic towards the none force users, because basically their lives are meaningless, they don't understand the universe they live in and can't see it, and they're only there to be manipulate by a force that dosen't care about them.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #74
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That being said, I dont want to condemn Alden Ehrenreich point blank, but my wife and I watched 'The Age of Adeline' and Anthony Ingruber was the spitting image and voice of a young Harrison Ford, it was really impressive.
Alden Ehrenreich was miscast not his fault.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #75
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I liked Rogue one because it was different

1) These were ordinary people, and it harkened back to some of the better WW2 style impossible odds suicide missions

2) It really showed the overwhelming might of the Empire, they casually blasted a town and a Imperial base, it was completely ruthless, and in a lot of ways even more shocking then the destruction of Alderaan because of the casual nature of the destruction. They destroyed the town for no other reason then a test, and blasted the base and killed probably thousands of Imperials to get rid of a group of 5 rebels.

3) The ruthlessness of infighting, Krennic having the engineers shot, going to Vader to do a political hatchet job against Tarkin and gain the favor of the Emperor. In the book Dark Lords (I know, I know, Legends). But there was a scene between Vader and Tarkin and Vader mused that the real power of the Emperor was to make people want to do nothing more then please him, and that his other strength was pitting rivals against each other.

4) The Rebel alliance didn't really look all of that awesome and even though they won that battle against the Empire by getting plans out, the loss of men and ships and equipment couldn't have been more real and devastating.

5) How one sided a force user could be against people who don't have use of the force. In Dark Lord, Vader was somewhat sympathetic towards the none force users, because basically their lives are meaningless, they don't understand the universe they live in and can't see it, and they're only there to be manipulate by a force that dosen't care about them.
Rouge One also had just the right amount of Nostalgia. It told a story important to the greater overall arc, without constant "look at this callback!!!!!!".

I have seen it 10 times and like it better on each viewing.

It could fit in with the best of the Clone Wars episodes for excitement.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #76
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not as enamored with Rogue One as most people are, but its space battle is far and away the best looking of any CGI-era Star Wars. like, goddamn is it beautiful to watch, how clear and nicely lit everything is, with the right amount of frantic war footage feel while still being easy to follow.

everyone says the hyperspace ram is the best visual in Star Wars, but I'll take the dogfight above Scarif any day. hoping that Ep IX might have something like it, but expecting something more generic.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #77
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So what do people define as the best of Clone Wars? I've just started season 5 and this show has yet to really grip me. I've watched it kind of broken up over the years, and sometimes just on in the background so maybe that was the problem. But for me so far Rebels >>>>> Clone Wars. Again, could just be the era I like more than the content.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #78
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Season 5 has the Onderon story line which sets up Saw Guerrara (sp?) and introduces him and makes his appearance in Rebels and Rogue one more meaningful. There's the Madalorian storyline that links nicely to rebels as well as the really well done Asoka season ending storyline.

Season 5 was strong except for without giving anything away a middle story line that's awful except you get the introduction to Gregor from Rebels, and he's awesome, he's not just a Clone Trooper he's an ARC and the battle scene with him in my mind was awesome.

The secret to Clone wars is realizing that there are some really bad story arcs, but some really unbelievable story arcs. For me Season 4 was the strongest season for story arcs.

You had

Umbara - which was so incredibly dark, and it makes you understand why most of the troopers even with the chips didn't feel too badly about killing off the Jedi.

The Obi-Wan undercover arc - Which really planted a lot of seeds for Anakin's dissatisfaction and distrust of the order.

Season three

Had the outstanding arc with the origins of most of the Clone troopers that became prevalent in the series.

The Mortis arc which is essential to rebels

The citadel arc where you meet Commander Tarkin and see why he and Vader worked together so well.

And the arc where Asoka gets captured and hunted by the Trandoshians and becomes the jedi that you see in Rebels

Not all arcs are great, but the ones that are are amazing and even the one off episodes are solid. Also when you see these characters in rebels its like meeting an old friend.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #79
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'm not as enamored with Rogue One as most people are, but its space battle is far and away the best looking of any CGI-era Star Wars. like, goddamn is it beautiful to watch, how clear and nicely lit everything is, with the right amount of frantic war footage feel while still being easy to follow.

everyone says the hyperspace ram is the best visual in Star Wars, but I'll take the dogfight above Scarif any day. hoping that Ep IX might have something like it, but expecting something more generic.

I thought the space battle over Scarif was awesomely done. But the best part of that battle wasn't the ramming of the Star Destroyer, or the fighter battles, or even Vader killing people.

It was this

I got chills when Vader arrived.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #80
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The new trilogy has made x-wings and tie fighters look awful. Don't know what it is but the movements and sharp turns make them look unrealistic even by SW standards. The OT ships just flew in more natural looking ways making wide, sweeping "runs" kind of like ww2 planes with limited evasive ability as displayed in the trench run. Whereas Poe can now turn on a dime in his fighter and take everyone out in seconds. It's strange to watch.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nerd rage