Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #2001
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.660citynews.com/2019/10/...e-city-parade/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1185690014325174274

it'll be interesting to see if there will be any charges and how quickly they will be back out on the street.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #2002
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haiti on the brink of collapse http://https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/world/americas/Haiti-crisis-violence.amp.html

The despair and hopelessness is immeasurable. I couldn't fathom being in such a situation.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-20-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #2003
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very disturbing story on The National last night about violence in schools in Canada. They are expanding on it during the episode of Marketplace tonight. They opened with a story from Windsor about a boy who was just starting grade nine and was attacked on his way home by boys he didn't know had never met. They sucker punched him from behind in the head, and then picked him up and slammed him into the ground head first. He suffered a TBI and will have issues for the rest of his life.

The National tried to interview school boards across the country, but they wouldn't discuss it, so they reached out to children and the response they got was overwhelming. It absolutely broke my heart. It's like high school is just a war zone.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #2004
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Very disturbing story on The National last night about violence in schools in Canada. They are expanding on it during the episode of Marketplace tonight. They opened with a story from Windsor about a boy who was just starting grade nine and was attacked on his way home by boys he didn't know had never met. They sucker punched him from behind in the head, and then picked him up and slammed him into the ground head first. He suffered a TBI and will have issues for the rest of his life.

The National tried to interview school boards across the country, but they wouldn't discuss it, so they reached out to children and the response they got was overwhelming. It absolutely broke my heart. It's like high school is just a war zone.

there was a story today as well about schools in Ontario not reporting violent acts and bullying in their schools as required.

We had that murder of a kid in front of his mother a couple of weeks back where the mother pleaded with the school and school board to do something about the bullying of her son and they didn't do anything.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #2005
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes school boards always insist it’s never their fault. That boy murdered at school in Hamilton is a prime example. First thing the school board said is they did nothing wrong! It’s all talk and no real action
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #2006
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado homeowner owed nothing after police SWAT shootout destroys his house, federal court rules

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...roys-his-house
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #2007
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is so crazy that the city isn’t responsible for damages to the man’s house.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 PM   #2008
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren’t there some places where the fire department would allow your house burn to the ground because you didn’t pay the fire protection fee or something?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:46 PM   #2009
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Aren’t there some places where the fire department would allow your house burn to the ground because you didn’t pay the fire protection fee or something?
I think that was a scene from Gangs of New York
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #2010
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/n.../#.XbuO_uhKguU
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #2011
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fire departments can be held accountable if they put too much water on a fire. Police should probably be held accountable for bullets.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #2012
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Well that’s insane. That’s an essential service in my opinion. Tax them.

Imagine being the neighbour. “Guys! It’s getting worse! I paid the fee and now it’s going to spread here!”

“Don’t worry, once it’s fully out of control, if any issues happen we’ll take care of it then”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #2013
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Colorado homeowner owed nothing after police SWAT shootout destroys his house, federal court rules

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...roys-his-house
As far as I understood the guy was made whole by his insurance, built a house significantly more extravagant than his original, and expected to make a profit off the police. Amazing what you can do with a headline though.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #2014
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/europ...ntl/index.html

What a defense! She was unconscious therefore unable to resist so it couldn’t be rape.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #2015
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/europ...ntl/index.html

What a defense! She was unconscious therefore unable to resist so it couldn’t be rape.
They still got more time than they would have in Canada. That makes me want to check out.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #2016
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"The sexual attack on the victim was extremely intense and especially denigrating, and in addition, it was produced on a minor who was in a helpless situation,"
I don't even want to know what "especially denigrating" entails.

Victim only got 12k euros in damages.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #2017
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
As far as I understood the guy was made whole by his insurance, built a house significantly more extravagant than his original, and expected to make a profit off the police. Amazing what you can do with a headline though.
Do you have a source for that? The article post here states the house was valued at $580,000 and

"Lech's attorney told the Post that his home insurance company paid him $345,000 for the damage but that amount did not come close to covering additional costs related to personal property damage, demolishing and rebuilding the home and taking out a new mortgage on the new house."

There is a lot of details missing here. Why would the insurance company only pay $345,000?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #2018
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Do you have a source for that? The article post here states the house was valued at $580,000 and

"Lech's attorney told the Post that his home insurance company paid him $345,000 for the damage but that amount did not come close to covering additional costs related to personal property damage, demolishing and rebuilding the home and taking out a new mortgage on the new house."

There is a lot of details missing here. Why would the insurance company only pay $345,000?
I wondered a bit about that too. In the article though, he says that his insurance was willing to replace the house, but not the property inside of it. I wonder if that's a large chunk of it.

It also notes that didn't come close to 'demolishing and rebuilding, and taking out a mortage'. Which are expensive things to do, that I can't see insurance covering in the first place, unless you have really good insurance.

I can see this as a scenario. His house that he's renting to his kid gets shot up. His insurance company feels he can repair the house. He decides he wants to go after the City/police to get the house he's always wanted, so looks to demolishing and replacing his house, instead of repairing it. Insurance coughs up what house (not contents) are worth to repair, not replace. He tries to sue and fails. Now he's stuck, so it's media time.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #2019
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post

Land value . If your house burns down you don’t get your assessed value . You get whatever value in your policy it has to replace the home
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #2020
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Yeah I saw an ‘after’ picture of the house and it’s not remotely the same. Hell they probably did unnecessary foundation work.

Anyway, the main story here should be: why the hell did the police use an armoured vehicle to bust into a house where a guy who stole $50 was hiding! $50!!!!!! This is what needs answering.