Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #861
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all aboard the Amirov train. toot toot.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #862
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I'm all aboard the Amirov train. toot toot.
Awww hell yeah. I sincerely hope that if he is available at 19 and the Flames actually make the pick, his name is called. Its such a no brainer IMO.

Then, if he is gone, I have Gunler, then the RHD Barron. I just have this feeling Quinn and Jarvis are gone before 19. And Askarov. I have him gone at 5. Sounds crazy but its really not that crazy.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #863
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Awww hell yeah. I sincerely hope that if he is available at 19 and the Flames actually make the pick, his name is called. Its such a no brainer IMO.

Then, if he is gone, I have Gunler, then the RHD Barron. I just have this feeling Quinn and Jarvis are gone before 19. And Askarov. I have him gone at 5. Sounds crazy but its really not that crazy.

Askarov has had a hot start too, no way he makes it down. There are like 6 teams ahead of us who could legit take a gamble on a #1 goalie.

Jiri, I agree, I don't think Lundell has much of a chance to get down to 19, I just think he's got the floor of a great #3 Centre in the league. I see him as the natural Backlund replacement, with potential for even more offense.

Amirov is very intriguing as well- I like him better than Marat (can't spell this guy's last name lol) but I think some teams will think Marat could turn into Kucherov and leap on it.

Disagree with Dammage that Lapierre disappears for stretches- his consistency is actually pretty notable outside of the obvious injuries and the poor stretches upon return from those injuries. He also shows up in big games. I had a lot of doubts earlier but have since watched many videos of him and been convinced that he still has Very high upside compared to similar projected picks (such as Bourque.)
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #864
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see a way Askarov makes it past Carolina to be honest.

They have scoring, they have so much depth on defense, they really need a top flight goalie prospect.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #865
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

They have scoring, they have so much depth on defense, they really need a top flight goalie prospect.
Buffalo, Minny, Carolina, Edmonton, and Chicago could all use a #1 goalie prospect. IMO no chance we get him.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #866
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Relatable.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #867
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are my top 4, but I doubt any of them end up dropping to #19:

1. Dawson Mercer
2. Yaroslav Askarov
3. Seth Jarvis
4. Jack Quinn

Realistically, I hope the Flames draft one of these players. They have pretty good NHLEs and seem to be have decent ceilings, without a ton of risk:

1. Connor Zary
2. Mavrik Bourque
3. Rodion Amirov

Players that I'm not so hot on:

1. Hendrix Lapierre
2. Kaiden Guhle
3. Braden Schneider
4. Ridly Greig
5. Dylan Holloway
6. John-Jason Peterka

Completely undecided on:
1. Noel Gunler
2. Tyson Foerster
3. Lukas Reichel

If the Flames ever traded up, I think Marco Rossi has an extremely high ceiling. But that's a long shot.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #868
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really liking the possibilities in the second round this year, and Nashville has the #37 and #42 picks in the draft. I mention this because I get the feeling that they were underwhelmed with Matt Duchene this past year, and he just does not fit into John Hynes system. He has an $8M hit for the next six years.

Heeeeeere's Johnny?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #869
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I understand the hesitancy you speak of. But when Button says "best draft eligible goalie he has seen since Carey Price", those risks are washed away immediately. Not because Button says so, but because if someone like button sees that, you know full well those who actually run hockey teams share the sentiment.

Spencer Knight was notable last year, but nothing like Askarov this year. Not close, not by a mile.
If youre a scorched earth team with the value oick ottawa has, you can afford to take the franchise forward with your first pick and assume the risk reward with askarov. Seriously. When all is said and done, Askarov will be a #1. Hes a tier above Samsonov, Shetyerkin and Sorokin.
Bruh... these are some wild statements. There's always risk, especially when it comes to goaltending prospects.

I understand the love for Askarov, but I still think your game plan should be to obtain starting elite goaltenders later in the draft. I wouldn't waste game breaking talent in that top 10 on a goaltender who could very well develop to just be an average starter or worse. The position is such a crapshoot to project.

There has been a history of goaltenders selected in the Top 20 in the modern era who became just average starters, others who couldn't cut it in the AHL and even fewer I would call elite...

Rick DiPietro (1st overall, 2000)
Brent Krahn (9th overall, 2000)
Pascal Leclaire (8th overall, 2001)
Dan Blackburn (10th overall, 2001)
Kari Lehtonen (2nd overall, 2002)
Marc-Andre Fleury (1st overall, 2003) - Was elite for a time
Al Montoya (6th overall, 2004)
Devan Dubnyk (14th overall, 2004) - A couple elite seasons
Carey Price (6th overall, 2005) - As elite as it gets
Jonathan Bernier (11th overall, 2006)
Riku Helenius (15th overall, 2006)
Chet Pickard (18th overall, 2008)
Jack Campbell (11th overall, 2010)
Andrei Vasilevskiy (19th overall, 2012) - Elite

After the top 10, once you get into that third tier of player, sure take a flier. There is just way too much talent on the table at #5 for the Senators to select Askarov and run that risk, but thats just my opinion!

Last edited by DomeFoam; 09-24-2020 at 05:43 PM.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #870
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's just no way Askarov, Mercer, or Jarvis are available at 19, unfortunately. Too bad, those 3 are going to be star players. I think the chances of landing Holloway are very slim as well. Our pick is in Zary/Bourque/Amirov/Foerster/Lapierre territory, which is just fine too.
It seems that Reichel has been getting a ton of attention recently, and as it seems, it's for good reason. I would throw him in to the ring as a player I wouldn't mind spending our first on. He seems to have it all-speed and skill to burn, with good competitiveness. Every highlight reel on this kid is amazing.

Last edited by Sandman; 09-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #871
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Bruh... these are some wild statements. There's always risk, especially when it comes to goaltending prospects.

I understand the love for Askarov, but I still think your game plan should be to obtain starting elite goaltenders later in the draft. I wouldn't waste game breaking talent in that top 10 on a goaltender who could very well develop to just be an average starter or worse. The position is such a crapshoot to project.

There has been a history of goaltenders selected in the Top 20 in the modern era who became just average starters, others who couldn't cut it in the AHL and even fewer I would call elite...

Rick DiPietro (1st overall, 2000)
Brent Krahn (9th overall, 2000)
Pascal Leclaire (8th overall, 2001)
Dan Blackburn (10th overall, 2001)
Kari Lehtonen (2nd overall, 2002)
Marc-Andre Fleury (1st overall, 2003) - Was elite for a time
Al Montoya (6th overall, 2004)
Devan Dubnyk (14th overall, 2004) - A couple elite seasons
Carey Price (6th overall, 2005) - As elite as it gets
Jonathan Bernier (11th overall, 2006)
Riku Helenius (15th overall, 2006)
Chet Pickard (18th overall, 2008)
Jack Campbell (11th overall, 2010)
Andrei Vasilevskiy (19th overall, 2012) - Elite

After the top 10, once you get into that third tier of player, sure take a flier. There is just way too much talent on the table at #5 for the Senators to select Askarov and run that risk, but thats just my opinion!
A few notes:
  • DiPietro was an all-star goaltender who had his career derailed by concussions and then ended by injuries.
  • Krahn was derailed by knee injuries.
  • Blackburn derailed by injuries. Or maybe it was Montoyo? One suffered a serious shoulder injury that derailed them.
  • Lehtonen was never a top 5 goalie, but he was consistenly a very good starter for about a decade.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #872
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Blackburn tried to extend his career by playing with 2 blockers because he couldn't use a catcher anymore.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #873
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

To add, Campbell and Bernier both became pretty solid goalies. DiPietro and Leclaire both looked pretty good until they got derailed by injury.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #874
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, but I was disputing elite (franchise) goalies, which is what you’d expect using 5 OA on one. I was not aware of those injuries, though, who knows if Blackburn and company would’ve upheld their draft position. Injury is part of that risk picking a tendy.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #875
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m surprised Trevor Kidd (drafted 11OA by the Flames in 1990) hasn’t been mentioned. His overall NHL save percentage was .901.
Rick M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #876
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Yes, but I was disputing elite (franchise) goalies, which is what you’d expect using 5 OA on one. I was not aware of those injuries, though, who knows if Blackburn and company would’ve upheld their draft position. Injury is part of that risk picking a tendy.
It is? Is that the automatic assumption for all positions? I would think if you could guarantee an elite franchise goalie... he’d go #1.

Lindholm, Reilly, Strome, Niederrieter, Schenn, Schenn, Alzner, Kessel, Price, Wheeler, Vanek, Whitney...

So, the goalie chosen at 5 turned out to be one of the greatest ever. But, I would describe this as mostly top half talent on your roster. Not a lot of “elite franchise” guys. So why is that the bar for a goalie? That doesn’t make any sense.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 09-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #877
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I’m surprised Trevor Kidd (drafted 11OA by the Flames in 1990) hasn’t been mentioned. His overall NHL save percentage was .901.
Yes but Brodeur was the other goalie taken in the 1st round that year, so that's more of a whiff on our end
Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #878
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Yes but Brodeur was the other goalie taken in the 1st round that year, so that's more of a whiff on our end
Obviously it was a disappointment (amplified by the unpredicted GOAT chosen after), but he was still a starter in the league for 5/6 seasons. With mediocre numbers. Kinda like other goalies chosen around that mark (Bernier... Montoya level goalies)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #879
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Obviously it was a disappointment (amplified by the unpredicted GOAT chosen after), but he was still a starter in the league for 5/6 seasons. With mediocre numbers. Kinda like other goalies chosen around that mark (Bernier... Montoya level goalies)
Felix Potvin, also a better goalie, was selected third. I dunno, the flames have always sucked at identifying drafting, and developing goalie talent.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #880
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Felix Potvin, also a better goalie, was selected third. I dunno, the flames have always sucked at identifying drafting, and developing goalie talent.
I just think the expectation of mid first round picks to deliver a franchise starter is unrealistic. Same goes for other positions so I don’t understand the added pressure.

Tags
edmonton is no good