Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #401
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The Encyclopaedia Metallum is pretty much the definitive way of determining if a band is metal or not.

http://www.metal-archives.com/

They don't feel that those three bands are metal enough.
Eh... they leave out a lot of metal bands. They are either oblivious to the whole metal/hardcore movement or are too purist. Don't know many people who wouldn't consider Coalesce metal (including Earache Records who put out some of there stuff).. They pick some grindcore bands to be on there (assuck, discordance axis, etc...) but leave off others (daughters, as the sun sets)...
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #402
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
Eh... they leave out a lot of metal bands. They are either oblivious to the whole metal/hardcore movement or are too purist. Don't know many people who wouldn't consider Coalesce metal (including Earache Records who put out some of there stuff).. They pick some grindcore bands to be on there (assuck, discordance axis, etc...) but leave off others (daughters, as the sun sets)...
Most of the bands that could be considered "mathcore" are generally not considered metal.

Perhaps they are overly critical when it comes to metalcore and mathcore bands, but I find them to be 99% spot on.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #403
FoxMulder91
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I just discovered Candlemass, I think they are really good. Not super heavy, but heavy, if you know what I mean.
One of the first metal bands I ever listened to.
Classic!
FoxMulder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FoxMulder91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #404
FoxMulder91
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For those seeking extreme Black/War Metal check these bands out. Its way better then the mainstream black metal crap going around these days.

Legendary Black/War Metal from Vancouver

Black/War Metal from Edmonton

Bands from elsewhere

Last edited by FoxMulder91; 09-18-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #405
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Didn't see this posted, thought some of you might find it interesting!

Metallica to tour with "The Big Four" in VERY (ie preliminary) discussions about puting a big 4 metal tour together consisting of Metallica, Megadeath, Slayer, Anthrax.

I wonder if Dave Mustaine / Metallica can put aside their little rift for the tour? Seems like there is a ton of questions.. IE who headlines etc.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/09/03/metallica-update/
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #406
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Avenged Sevenfold is hard rock, and closely comes to metal, but I wouldn't call them metal.

Machine Head on the other hand. Well they kick ass.
MH!!! <3
other then their nu-metal phase are pretty much my favorite metal band.
BurningYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #407
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post

Metallica to tour with "The Big Four" in VERY (ie preliminary) discussions about puting a big 4 metal tour together consisting of Metallica, Megadeath, Slayer, Anthrax.

I wonder if Dave Mustaine / Metallica can put aside their little rift for the tour? Seems like there is a ton of questions.. IE who headlines etc.

Mustaine and Metallica have pretty much made up. I am glad they got into their feud and Mustaine got fired, that way I get Metallica and Megadeth!

If this is true, Metallica will probably headline because they are way more mainstream with fans and will sell more tickets; Metallica alone can sell out the Saddledome (twice). Megadeth and Slayer combined could only sell 2/3 of the dome, which sucks because Megadeth and Slayer are way better than Metallica; goes to show how the metal scene is in Calgary (not that great).

Regardless, I hope this is true, I love all 4 bands. It'd also be neat if they had some other thrash bands there, like Toxic Holocaust.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #408
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post

i always considered Testament as part of the big 4, not Anthrax. i just can't stand Joey Belladona
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #409
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would go and see that show, probably willing to fly almost anywhere in NA to go.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #410
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i always considered Testament as part of the big 4, not Anthrax. i just can't stand Joey Belladona
Really? I always liked his style of singing, old school, and lots of fun. But thats just my opinion.

I would definetly agree with you about Testament tho. Best thrash metal band in existance, I dont care what anyone says.

Also, for those looking for a good site on metal, check out www.bnrmetal.com Basically every metal band (and many hard rock bands) out there is covered with disco's, reviews, you name it. Great resourse.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shnabdabber For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #411
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

bnrmetal is the holy grail of metal. That sites has cost me at least a thousand bucks on ITunes.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #412
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

my favorite metal resources is www.metalreviews.com. they review virtually everything under the sun for metal and i've found countless new bands from them
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #413
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I figured it was time to resurrect this thread another time. The new Baroness is outstanding. I'd definitely throw it in my Top 10 of 2009, although there could be arguments on how "Metal" may be. Me, I could give a shat, just as long as it's good music of which there has been plenty of this year. Can't wait for the 2nd in the Devin Townsend Band trilogy - Addicted. His MySpace gives a sneak peek and it sounds phenomenal. The tour he does in 2010 should be amazing. Come to the Island, Dev. Be sure to bring Zimmers along as the opener.
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #414
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

saw Baroness open for Clutch back in July, and they were pretty good. i'm digging the new album

and i just have to say, after rap, hip-hop, and post-rock threads have come and gone, the metal thread is still going strong
Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #415
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

So who went to the Noctis Festival over the weekend?

I only made it out on Saturday, but I have to say, Destroyer 666 was one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Absolutely incredible.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #416
FoxMulder91
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
So who went to the Noctis Festival over the weekend?

I only made it out on Saturday, but I have to say, Destroyer 666 was one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Absolutely incredible.
I didnt bother going, not a huge fan of any of the bands that played. I heard mixed reviews on how Destroyer 666 played.

Last edited by FoxMulder91; 10-05-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #417
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know its viking metal but tis a good song.

C-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #418
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Life View Post
I know its viking metal but tis a good song.

Dude, Amon Amarth are gods! Twilight of the Thunder God is an awesome song, the whole album is terrific. And Gojira! So underrated. Saw them live with In Flames. Never heard of Devil Driver, but that is a solid song.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #419
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Dude, Amon Amarth are gods! Twilight of the Thunder God is an awesome song, the whole album is terrific. And Gojira! So underrated. Saw them live with In Flames. Never heard of Devil Driver, but that is a solid song.
I am a big fan of Devil Driver.

I picked up the new Children of Bodem and Megadeath CDs. Both are pretty awesome.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #420
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Damn, I just came across this last release from local (to you Calgarians) band Caveat:

http://www.cyclonerecords.ca/releases/caveat-red.htm

I have their self-titled and it was really well done. I bought it after seeing them play at The Warehouse in Calgary quite a few years ago when I still lived there. Anyway, check them out on that page as you can sample the album. Support local music that is kick-ass.
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote