Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #4241
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Has anyone had experience getting a bathroom fan installed? I was just quoted $575 + GST install for a fan that's $170 retail. I realize electricians aren't cheap, but that seems pretty outrageous. Or maybe it's in line with what the cost is, I dunno. Any recommendations for electricians/installers for this kind of thing?
Depends. I did mine, had to crawl around the attic, drill holes to run electrical wire and tap in, cut a hole in the ceiling for the fan and clean up the edges, run ducting to the roof, cut a whole, put a vent in and seal it up, the clean up the mess. $400 for labour doesn't sound too out of line if that or more is required. They will probably be there for 3 or 4 hours.

If it is just swapping it out, that's a different story.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #4242
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone had experience getting a bathroom fan installed? I was just quoted $575 + GST install for a fan that's $170 retail. I realize electricians aren't cheap, but that seems pretty outrageous. Or maybe it's in line with what the cost is, I dunno. Any recommendations for electricians/installers for this kind of thing?
$400 for somebody to go get the fan, drive to your house, use their gear and expertise to install it, then drive back to their shop/next house/wherever is too much? They have to pay for a vehicle, business license, multiple levels of insurance, maintenance on their vehicle and equipment, pay provincial and federal taxes, pay wcb. This quote is beyond fair and that's if everything goes smooth. There is always going to be a hiccup, though, which they'll have to deal with while honouring the quote.

This is why I refuse to do onsite work for residential customers anymore with my business. There is such a disconnect in their minds for how much things cost and what constitutes a fair price. I don't understand how you could get that quote and think it was anything other than totally fair.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #4243
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
$400 for somebody to go get the fan, drive to your house, use their gear and expertise to install it, then drive back to their shop/next house/wherever is too much? They have to pay for a vehicle, business license, multiple levels of insurance, maintenance on their vehicle and equipment, pay provincial and federal taxes, pay wcb. This quote is beyond fair and that's if everything goes smooth. There is always going to be a hiccup, though, which they'll have to deal with while honouring the quote.

This is why I refuse to do onsite work for residential customers anymore with my business. There is such a disconnect in their minds for how much things cost and what constitutes a fair price. I don't understand how you could get that quote and think it was anything other than totally fair.
I think it depends. If the new fan fits in the same hole, it's probably less than an hour of on site work. $400 is probably high for that. You don't need a permit or a master electrician.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #4244
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think it depends. If the new fan fits in the same hole, it's probably less than an hour of on site work. $400 is probably high for that. You don't need a permit or a master electrician.
Sometimes everything goes perfect and the contractor comes out a little ahead. Sometimes it takes a day and a trip or two to Rona and you come out ahead. If you quote it say $200, but then find yourself crawling around in the attic or scampering around on the roof good luck trying to get that out of somebody who thinks a quote of $550 is too high to begin with. You risk them one starring you, broadcasting how you don't stick to your quotes, etc. Best to weed them out with a quote that accounts for a hiccup or two and they can accept the quote or not. If I had quoted this one and Nyah gave me the 'hmmmm, seems high' vibe, I would back out and recommend a competitor I hated to them to do the job 'probably for a little less' because that's a red flag customer right there imo.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #4245
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Btw, no offense intended, Nyah. I thought exactly like this until I owned a business that did some residential work and it is shocking how so many customers just don't understand the legitimate justification contractors have for higher-than-expected prices. Custom, onsite labour is way more expensive to provide than what people are used to when they shop for mass-produced goods and I get that most people don't have a good frame of reference for what those costs are.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #4246
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's switching out an existing fan that's too old and isn't doing the job anymore. Everything is already in place regarding electrical and ventilation.

Sliver: no offense taken, I understand the overhead with running a business and the costs associated with that. Regardless I'll still be shopping around as I feel like $400+ for install is excessive.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #4247
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some exhaust fans you can replace the motor/blade. I did this on mine when it died instead of fighting with an entire replacement that would have required messing with the ducting and wiring. I googled the part number and was able to get one at Rona. Was just one screw and a dual prong plug. Fan was probably at least 20 years old and could still find the motor.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #4248
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Some exhaust fans you can replace the motor/blade. I did this on mine when it died instead of fighting with an entire replacement that would have required messing with the ducting and wiring. I googled the part number and was able to get one at Rona. Was just one screw and a dual prong plug. Fan was probably at least 20 years old and could still find the motor.
You know for the whole better for the planet gig and preservation, companies making products should have to supply and engineer products that can be repaired. It's an old thing from the 50's. It's time.

Why through tax for these companies doing throw away. Starts here. All items sold need to be in service.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #4249
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Some exhaust fans you can replace the motor/blade.
I'll look into doing this, although the current fan is builder grade from 2003 and it's not the best. Fingers crossed. Thanks.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #4250
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll look into doing this, although the current fan is builder grade from 2003 and it's not the best. Fingers crossed. Thanks.
If you’re looking for more cfm or a quieter design then the motor change probably isn’t the route. Doubt the part for mine was more than $35 and driving to get it took longer than swapping it so it could be a temporary fix. Not sure if I got more effective cfm from replacing the old motor but it did get quieter.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #4251
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That is on par for a new installation for sure.

A simple replacement? That's definitely high.

Costco has good ones for $90. If it's going in same hole then 2 hour minimum charge. You should be paying no more than $300 unless I'm missing something.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #4252
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The price is almost bang on what I'd expect them to charge. My breakdown if I was quoting it would be:

$187 for the fan (170 + 10% mark up)
2 hour minimum call out @ $120 an hour
1 extra hour @ $120

My estimate would be about $567, if the job is easy and goes smooth you could possibly shave off the extra hour for a super quick swap. If the sparky is climbing in the attic running a new duct then yeah they'll need the extra hour.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #4253
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The price is almost bang on what I'd expect them to charge. My breakdown if I was quoting it would be:

$187 for the fan (170 + 10% mark up)
2 hour minimum call out @ $120 an hour
1 extra hour @ $120

My estimate would be about $567, if the job is easy and goes smooth you could possibly shave off the extra hour for a super quick swap. If the sparky is climbing in the attic running a new duct then yeah they'll need the extra hour.
Why the extra hour if it's a simple replacement? That job is literally a 15 minute job. 2 hours minimum charge is more than enough.

I'm a contractor and I'm not cheap but that quote is an overcharge if it's a simple replacement.

That is such a simple job that anyone with even basic knowledge could do it themselves in 30 minutes or less. An electrician will do it in 10-15 minutes.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #4254
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also worth noting if you're calling a bigger company then of course you'll be paying more. Someone has to be pay for their radio ads.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:03 PM   #4255
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Why the extra hour if it's a simple replacement? That job is literally a 15 minute job. 2 hours minimum charge is more than enough.

I'm a contractor and I'm not cheap but that quote is an overcharge if it's a simple replacement.

That is such a simple job that anyone with even basic knowledge could do it themselves in 30 minutes or less. An electrician will do it in 10-15 minutes.
The extra hour is for the 50% chance that there will be some dumb little issue that will cost you time. Or the likelihood that you'll get there and they'll have you run out to their garage for a minute to take a look at the light switch in there (since you're already over) to give them a quote on that, which they want to have fixed in the spring. Idk, maybe I just suck, but it just seems that more often than not things don't go as expected so I always pad my quotes to allow for the unforeseen. I definitely don't feel like a rip off artist and we have more work than we can handle so must be doing something right.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #4256
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ha te dealing with trades, it’s such a crap shot. One persons unforeseen dumb little issue is something that someone else would have assessed appropriately and worked around. I loathe the idea of paying journeyman rate for someone to learn on the job, and ultimately paying for their poor plan and execution.

A bathroom fan? Ffs, if someone is passing that with 2hrs labour they don’t want the job. I can *sort of* understand that there is a cost associated with all the jobs that don’t pay, like expecting one thing and coming across another. But you’re paying a professional to do a job, they should be aware of at least 95% of the possible scenarios.

I’ve paid a trade for three things in the last 6 years:
1 - Electrician took 3 hours to do a job they said would be half an hour. It was poorly planned and they were just slow.
2 - Plumber to clear a pedestal sink drain. This was only to make a point with my partner. Quoted $800, spent more time writing up the quote than it would have taken to do the damn job. I know, because I did it immediately after paying him $100 for the site visit.
3 - Plumber to do a good amount of work in my bathroom reno. Was a week over due, left a mess in each of his multiple 2 hour site visits and I still had to fix some things.

Trades are essential for an awful lot. But as a home owner? If you’re not half dead and care to learn, you can do a hell of a lot yourself. Replacing a bathroom fan (if that’s all it is) is one of those things. Screws and wire nuts aren’t magic.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #4257
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post

A simple replacement is very rarely a simple replacement. What if the diameter of the old fans exhaust port is from the 1970s and some oddball size no longer in use?

Now you're replacing the fan, undoing the wiring, climbing through the ceiling, running and strapping a new exhaust line as well as installing the proper sized vent on the exterior of the house.

I've had this exact same scenario before.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #4258
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
A simple replacement is very rarely a simple replacement. What if the diameter of the old fans exhaust port is from the 1970s and some oddball size no longer in use?

Now you're replacing the fan, undoing the wiring, climbing through the ceiling, running and strapping a new exhaust line as well as installing the proper sized vent on the exterior of the house.

I've had this exact same scenario before.
Well of course original quote will be a detailed quote on what the job entails. If there is extra work that isn't in the quote then they'll have to pay for that. Any good contractor will be specific with that.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #4259
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The extra hour is for the 50% chance that there will be some dumb little issue that will cost you time. Or the likelihood that you'll get there and they'll have you run out to their garage for a minute to take a look at the light switch in there (since you're already over) to give them a quote on that, which they want to have fixed in the spring. Idk, maybe I just suck, but it just seems that more often than not things don't go as expected so I always pad my quotes to allow for the unforeseen. I definitely don't feel like a rip off artist and we have more work than we can handle so must be doing something right.
To be fair, everyone is busy right now. It's why we can charge what we want right now. I still think a detailed quote on what the job is and what the customer will pay if there is something unforseen is the best way to quote that job and be honest.

They're quoting that much because they can. Simple as that. Still too much for a replacement but a lot of people will pay that because they don't know better and just want it done.

I've also given high quotes to people I don't want to work for so that comes into play as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #4260
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who just had to replace two bathroom fans with larger fans, you're not only paying the trade to do the job; you're paying them for saving you the aggravation.

For instance, if you save two hundred bucks by doing it yourself how far ahead are you with all things considered? You may not have professional level skills so the job might look a little rough. You may have to crawl around in the attic, contort your body, and wind up with a stiff neck for three days. You may scare the dog into going under the bed by cursing because you have to trim drywall for the fourth time to make it fit. For $200 more you could have avoided all of it and ended up with someone who does the work professionally doing a better job than you could have managed. Just my thoughts though.