Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #21
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So can anyone fly into Canada as long as they satisfy the quarantine protocol?

Also, are tests not readily available at this point? Why can’t a negative test eliminate the need for a quarantine?
Yes I believe for the first part now, I think it is just the land border that is closed unless a valid reason/criteria is given.

For the second part a test result isn't 100% accurate, and theres a small window it tests positive, you could have Covid and test negative if it is early on I believe.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would almost rather have no PBP than calling games off a monitor. I can already see what they are seeing, the value I get from television PBP is often the perspective of what’s not on the screen.
They might have multiple monitors though to compensate.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, are tests not readily available at this point? Why can’t a negative test eliminate the need for a quarantine?
You could have been infected on the plane or at the airport on your way in and it can take up to two weeks from the time you're infected until you'll actually test positive. Most people will test positive between 2 and 5 days after exposure (especially if they have symptoms), but it can take up to two weeks.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #24
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Tentative camp roster:
Defensemen [10]: Mark Giordano, TJ Brodie, Noah Hanifin, Travis Hamonic, Michael Stone, Erik Gustafsson, Derek Forbort, Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington and Alexander Yelesin
Injured non-roster [1]: Juuso Valimaki
Holy cow, our defensive depth is bonkers, 10+ NHL caliber d-men (more or less) ready to go. If there's one area of the team I don't have really any concern about for a potential playoff run, that'd be it. Exciting.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #25
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But we need those guys to show up or the depth is all for naught.

The good thing is it creates competition where you can sit guys that don't justify their ice time.

Expecting

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic (ugh)
Forbort-Andersson

To start with Gus getting the first sub in.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 07:29 PM   #26
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't mind using Gus as a potential 12th forward/7th d-man. His offensive skill is amazing and you can throw him out on the blue line in games if injuries happen.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I am to believe that these young professional athletes are locking themselves in a hotel room for two weeks, having room service left outside the door?

Seems unlikely. I had assumed they’d be tested immediately upon entry and while there is risk of latency of a positive test, that first immediate test seems like a no brainer. And another one a few days later. Maybe they are doing that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
But we need those guys to show up or the depth is all for naught.

The good thing is it creates competition where you can sit guys that don't justify their ice time.

Expecting

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic (ugh)
Forbort-Andersson

To start with Gus getting the first sub in.
Glah, I really hope we see:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Gustafsson - Hamonic
Forbort
Kylington
Stone
Yelesin

Andersson’s play has earned him the spot ahead of Hamonic. Andersson also elevated his play in last year’s playoffs while Hamonic fell off a cliff.

Quote:
So I am to believe that these young professional athletes are locking themselves in a hotel room for two weeks, having room service left outside the door?

Seems unlikely. I had assumed they’d be tested immediately upon entry and while there is risk of latency of a positive test, that first immediate test seems like a no brainer. And another one a few days later. Maybe they are doing that.
They’re paid to be in peak physical condition and are risking a lot of money if they don’t follow guidelines (because if the playoffs don’t happen, HRR will be lower costing them points in escrow).

All people who travel into cities are being asked/guided to self-quarantine. I don’t expect professional athletes to go against public health guidelines.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-28-2020 at 08:13 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 PM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.alberta.ca/isolation.aspx

Quote:
Travellers
  • You are legally required to isolate for 14 days if you returned from travel outside of Canada after March 12 and monitor for symptoms.

• If you become sick with cough, fever, shortness of breath, runny nose or sore throat during this time, you must isolate for an additional 10 days from the beginning of symptoms or until you are feeling well, whichever takes longer.
Quote:
Enforcement
If you violate this public health order to isolate, you may be subject to a $1,000 fine. Courts could also administer fines of up to $100,000 for a first offence and up to $500,000 for a subsequent offence for more serious violations.

If you are concerned someone is not following public health orders, you can:
  • remind the person that not following public health orders is against the law and puts people at risk

• submit a complaint to AHS public health inspectors
Old 06-28-2020, 10:47 PM   #30
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Thinking further on that I imagine it would just be to a camera with the guys in studio interviewing them through an ear piece.
Yes, that's what the UFC is doing so I imagine that's what other sports would do too.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #31
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Right.

But these quarantine rules were established while availability of testing was still emerging.

I understand the risk of a false negative test yet sports leagues are letting players enter their bubble upon completion of a negative test.

Seems unlikely there is a statistically meaningful risk of a person testing negative while having had the virus for 2 weeks. Perhaps it should be a test upon entry and a test a few days later. That seems safer than quarantine rules which people are going to have difficulty complying with and a waste of resources to try and enforce. The idea of an NHLer holed up in their hotel room for 2 weeks is kind of silly. That’s a pretty tiny bubble.

In this case let the NHL pay for the tests.

In other cases, let the traveller pay for it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would they have difficulty complying?

They all have nice homes in Calgary where they can isolate, and they have loads of money. It's not like paying for someone to delivery groceries to their homes is going to break the bank for any of these guys.

I'm sure the Flames would have anything they need (like exercise equipment or weights) delivered to their front doors without hesitation.

The availability of tests isn't the issue. They could get tested every day and still not test positive until day 10 -- or possibly never test positive, while still being infected and contagious. The two week window ensures that even if they are an asymptomatic carrier, they won't infect anyone else because it will have cleared their systems by the end of the two weeks.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #33
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really think players following the 14 day quarantine is critical. When the kids first got sent home from school/my wife and I got sent home from work, one of the kids had a cold (not COVID). We isolated, but obviously together, and it took about 5 weeks before that cold was out of our household, because it got passed around a couple times.

If one player steps on the ice without properly isolating, and the virus starts to get passed around in the NHL's bubble, you're looking at a huge setback.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:52 AM   #34
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Why would they have difficulty complying?
Because they are young men with money, large social circles and lives outside hockey.

A teammate of mine is neighbours with a member of the team, and just talking to him last week, this player is certainly not adhering to social distance guidelines.

That’s not meant to be gossipy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of NHLers are flaunting safety measures like the younger demographics across NA seem to be.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #35
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The PGA tour had some unmanned cameras that conducted interviews. Throw a laptop next to a camera and have the media ask questions via skype/zoom.

Regarding the PBP, the production could potentially be improved as "live" is no longer important.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #36
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
Because they are young men with money, large social circles and lives outside hockey.

A teammate of mine is neighbours with a member of the team, and just talking to him last week, this player is certainly not adhering to social distance guidelines.

That’s not meant to be gossipy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of NHLers are flaunting safety measures like the younger demographics across NA seem to be.
That's not having a difficulty to comply. That's being a selfish ####### who doesn't think the rules apply to you.

Also, 26 players have now tested positive...

Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #37
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Glah, I really hope we see:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Gustafsson - Hamonic
Forbort
Kylington
Stone
Yelesin
This is bang on. Gustafsson was acquired to take the load off of Gio on the PP and drop his minutes some. He won't be sitting in the press box for Forbort or anyone else. He'll be in the lineup. Hamonic on the 3rd pair is also on point. He and Hanifin by every metric were awful this year. Put Andersson with Hanifin and we saw a whole different player.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #38
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I see stuff like 26 players testing positive, it just makes this whole thing seem increasingly like an imaginary scenario that is unlikely to be possible.

I just don't think the players will have the required discipline and there is just a high probability that it cuts its way through a team.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but what probability do people see that this thing
- Starts (meaning actual games)
- Finishes

I think there's probably a 70% chance it starts, but a 20% chance it completes.

Am I way off?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #39
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When I see stuff like 26 players testing positive, it just makes this whole thing seem increasingly like an imaginary scenario that is unlikely to be possible.

I just don't think the players will have the required discipline and there is just a high probability that it cuts its way through a team.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but what probability do people see that this thing
- Finishes

Am I way off?
No. You are spot on, and there is a distinct difference in hoping for an unrealistic outcome while also recognizing it is unrealistic, and persistent pessimism which is incapable of optimism.

Like you and I think everyone else here, I would love for the NHL to return to play this summer safely and successfully. However, I remain unpersuaded that such a return is feasible. I would set the odds even lower than you do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #40
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

- Finishes

Am I way off?
I agree. This seems really high compared to what I thought and what are seeing people throughout in terms of percentage catching COVID. This likely means or holds some truth to the theory that true number that have COVID is much higher then previously thought and likely due to asymptomatic people.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote