Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #181
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Legit any kid under 10 years old has a better chance of dying in a car crash over the next year than dying of covid
So him choosing to protect his child who already has had a respiratory illness , from another uncontrolled respiratory illness is considered what to you now? Im genuinely curious how you can judge a father protecting his family. Or are you on the "its a light flu" train. Regardless of how you feel, it impacts you in no way. But good on you for finding a way to donald trump level explain away a man choosing family over a kids game. Clap clap clap.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #182
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=179839
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #183
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any goalie pairings opt-out? lol
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #184
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Any goalie pairings opt-out? lol
Hawks fans seem to be worried about Crawford. Not sure why.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:59 PM   #185
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one under the age of 10 has died from Covid in the USA and America has had over three million cases. The rationale is pretty dumb
The rationale is not dumb. It’s someone else.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#AgeAndSex
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #186
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the families coming into the “bubble”? Obviously they don’t have to even if allowed at some point.

I assume for those not playing it’s more about not wanting to be away from family or their own personal risk and financial/contract situation.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #187
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people keep the virus in their body for months. I read a recent news story about someone who had it for 3 months (most of that time they were asymptomatic). It's quite possible to get the virus and pass it on long after exposure.

Also, I don't like the logic some people use that children are unlikely to die from it, so it isn't a big deal. Getting your child sick and making them suffer is still a big deal even if they are likely to survive. Hamonic has a good reason to have that thought weighing on him.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #188
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Are the families coming into the “bubble”? Obviously they don’t have to even if allowed at some point.

I assume for those not playing it’s more about not wanting to be away from family or their own personal risk and financial/contract situation.
Families will be allowed to go to Edmonton for the Conference Finals and Final. There will be different quarantine requirements if they chose to stay in a separate hotel or if they stay with the player in his hotel room.

Prior to that, no one who isn't on a team's approved personnel list will be allowed inside the bubble.

Based on some social media posts, it looks like a lot of guys left their wife and kids at home when they flew to Calgary for "Phase 2" and training camp. I saw posts from both Ryan and Backlund saying how much they already miss their families back home, but they were excited to play again.

Talbot just tweeted this out earlier tonight:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1282154609377607680

Talbot is in a weird situation because his family makes their summer home in Edmonton (I believe that's what he said when he signed last year), so when the players are in the bubble, his kids will be nearby, but they might as well be on the moon.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:28 AM   #189
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
I think it's appalling that you feel comfortable insinuating that he should feel ashamed of his faith.

That's a pretty low comment. You'll probably get padded on the back for making a light attack, can you say something like that? Yeah. Does it improve your character and integrity? No.

Haha. Whatever. I think you are taking things a bit too seriously. And projecting some things that aren’t there.

I’m not insinuating anything, much less that he should feel ashamed. I think he is a great all around guy. Didn’t even say what he should do, only that I wouldn’t have dropped a handful of references to my faith, just would have kept it on point.

I just think it is interesting when people go out of their way to volunteer arguably irrelevant info.

I do know he is not going to be spending his off time eating vegan or doing yoga though. Because people who do those things will be sure to tell you about them

Hope that helps, friend
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 AM   #190
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Haha. Whatever. I think you are taking things a bit too seriously. And projecting some things that aren’t there.

I’m not insinuating anything, much less that he should feel ashamed. I think he is a great all around guy. Didn’t even say what he should do, only that I wouldn’t have dropped a handful of references to my faith, just would have kept it on point.

I just think it is interesting when people go out of their way to volunteer arguably irrelevant info.

I do know he is not going to be spending his off time eating vegan or doing yoga though. Because people who do those things will be sure to tell you about them

Hope that helps, friend
His faith is not “irrelevant “ to him and his family.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 12:51 AM   #191
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
His faith is not “irrelevant “ to him and his family.

Sure. But he is announcing to the public that he is not playing, and part of the reasoning is not wanting to take on risk to his family, as he has family history with a respiratory disease.

I would approach a matter of fact issue in a matter of fact way.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 12:53 AM   #192
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. But he is announcing to the public that he is not playing, and part of the reasoning is not wanting to take on risk to his family, as he has family history with a respiratory disease.

It's still a personal statement
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:57 AM   #193
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Apparently, Hamonic and his family made a tough decision based on faith and his desire to protect his family.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Is that better?
Old 07-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #194
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
No one under the age of 10 has died from Covid in the USA and America has had over three million cases. The rationale is pretty dumb
How many under the age of age 10 had other health issues after having Covid?

How many with pre-existing issues saw their health deteriorate after having Covid?

How many returned to 100% health after having Covid?

If you could show me that data I would appreciate it, because I do not know.

But........I do know as a father if there is anything greater than a 0% chance that my daughter could have health issues because of me chasing a rubber puck around a hockey rink for your entertainment then I am declining to play.

If you feel like he should do whatever it takes for your entertainment then we will never agree.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:04 AM   #195
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, you guys care more about this than I do. Maybe find someone else who wants to discuss
Old 07-12-2020, 01:17 AM   #196
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I would guess that his daughter is orders of magnitude more likely to be harmed by all the injuries, head trauma, etc. that could happen to him during ordinary play and cost her her father than by covid, which makes this decision more of an emotional one than a rational one. But, whatever. Emotions are real.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:20 AM   #197
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps the next time a person comes up with a legitimate reason(s) for making a serious decision maybe sit back and digest his rationale without negating his reasoning because of things you know little about.

Just a thought.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 02:07 AM   #198
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Perhaps the next time a person comes up with a legitimate reason(s) for making a serious decision maybe sit back and digest his rationale without negating his reasoning because of things you know little about.

Just a thought.

I didn’t negate his reasoning, guy. Keep on thinking
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #199
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Some people keep the virus in their body for months. I read a recent news story about someone who had it for 3 months (most of that time they were asymptomatic). It's quite possible to get the virus and pass it on long after exposure.

Also, I don't like the logic some people use that children are unlikely to die from it, so it isn't a big deal. Getting your child sick and making them suffer is still a big deal even if they are likely to survive. Hamonic has a good reason to have that thought weighing on him.
I haven’t seen this article but if this turns out be true, it makes any kind of everyday life difficult for households with high risk individuals.

One thing about the NHL situation is the constant testing. Unless you believe tests are not accurate, you wouldn’t be bringing the virus back to your family.

It seems like the risk of an NHL player infecting their family is less than if they returned from the grocery store.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #200
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You realize that death isn’t the only long term outcome right? And you are incorrect - there have been a few who have died from COVID or underlying conditions made worse by COVID. Plus kids are more likely to be asymptomatic carriers, which itself poses risks to their unsuspecting families.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: