Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:
Default Plumbing Questions - Kitchen Drainage

I live in a 4 level split. The furnace room on the bottom level is directly below the kitchen. The drain line from the kitchen drain goes straight down to below the basement floor, where it joins the line from the floor drain, fairly close to the floor drain. Every other drain line in the house is in a different area.

Now the problem: sometimes the floor drain in the furnace room overflows. I’m quite sure this is due to buildup after the T under the floor near the floor drain. Where grey water coming down the kitchen drain cannot drain fast enough, and ends up coming out the floor drain.

Question 1. What’s the best way to clean this out? I had a plumber clean this out last year, but I don’t want to regularly pay a plumber to clean this out. Prior to this plumber, I borrowed a power snake, but had limited results. Is there something like a power pipe brush you can put into a clean out?

Question 2. It would be possible to reroute the kitchen drainage to meetup with the rest of the plumbing near the neck of the crawl space, closer to where the drain leaves the house and heads toward the back alley. What do I need to know code wise about doing something like this? Slope? Where can I or can I not connect to? Do I need to connect to a vertical section of pipe, or can I connect to a horizontal pipe? What size do pipes need to be? This would leave the floor drain on its own, with a stubbed clean out just above the floor in the furnace room.

Tags
advice , plumbing