Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #21
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It is a serious question.

You shouldn’t be keeping food or cooking in a soft sided tent trailer in the mountain parks.
Why not? We used to keep our perishables in the fridge (which is air-tight, like a cooler), and our other stuff in cupboards. I can confirm I was never eaten by a bear.

Quote:
A proper tarp and tent set up keeps you completely dry in rain
You can easily hall bikes on the back of your car
The trailer was pretty good at keeping us dry too. and it had a table to play cards at.

Quote:
And in a tent I sleep on very comfy mattresses.
All the equipment fits within two bins and am fully set up in sub 30 minutes.
So once you account for having to drive slower because you are towing it is guaranteed to be faster using a tent as well.
Our tent trailer was 1200 lbs dry. It wasn't even noticeable to pull it. All of that stuff that takes you 30 minutes to set up is already set up in a trailer.

Quote:
So faster, cheaper, weather proof, and just as comfortable. (Though comfort is a perception thing.
it is neither of those things, but I'm glad you are enjoying your tent. I'm not crapping on tent camping, I like doing that too. But it is impossible to argue that a tent trailer isn't objective more comfortable and useful than a tent. The only benefit to a tent over a tent trailer is being to able to backcountry camping.

Quote:
Note I’m not saying trailers in general. I understand the desire for a hard sided trailer. The tent trailer has all of the trailer downsides and only a fraction of the benefits.
It has almost all of the benefits. If my wife wasn't a sissy, I'd have a tent trailer instead of a hardsided one.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #22
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the roof tent was initially intended to be used in the back country. It fills that niche where you want to drive your 4x4 out in the wilderness, can't tow a trailer and a tent may not work because you don't have the nice flat pad. I've had a trailer and it's limited to where you take it.
Really, that's the only place I can see them being prefered.
However, if you get a topper, you can build a raised sleeping pad in that, with storage underneath, which imo, is a better option.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #23
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #24
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Why not? We used to keep our perishables in the fridge (which is air-tight, like a cooler), and our other stuff in cupboards. I can confirm I was never eaten by a bear.
I don't believe you. I think you were eaten by a bear who's hijacked your CP account.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post

It is neither of those things, but I'm glad you are enjoying your tent. I'm not crapping on tent camping, I like doing that too. But it is impossible to argue that a tent trailer isn't objective more comfortable and useful than a tent. The only benefit to a tent over a tent trailer is being to able to backcountry camping.
Adding food smells to your soft sided sleeping area is not good bear hygiene. A cupboard is not going to stop bears from smelling and eating your food in a unattended campsite.

From your like a cooler comment do you believe a cooler provides any protection against bears gettin access to foods?

Something can’t be objectively more comfortable. Also more useful is just wrong, both provide shelter and place to sleep in inclement weather. Which is their function.

Anyway sounds like the advantages over a regular trailer that people see is smaller vehicle and easier towing.

Last edited by GGG; 04-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Adding food smells to your soft sided sleeping area is not good bear hygiene. A cupboard is not going to stop bears from smelling and eating your food in a unattended campsite.

From your like a cooler comment do you believe a cooler provides any protection against bears gettin access to foods?

Something can’t be objectively more comfortable. Also more useful is just wrong, both provide shelter and place to sleep in inclement weather. Which is their function.

Anyway sounds like the advantages over a regular trailer that people see is smaller vehicle and easier towing.
What, really? So half standing bent over in a tent is not objectively worse than standing upright? And the function of a tent may be to provide shelter and place to sleep in inclement weather. But a tent trailer does it better by giving you more space, room to cook, sit at a table and play cards, some have furnace, etc...Yes, they can both provide shelter. But the tent trailer can do many other things. Obviously it isn't ideal in ALL camping situations, but they are great it many.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Given the increase in number of campers, spaces are getting tight. We are running out of wilderness. The only solution is to build up, not out. These are the campers of the future.
Maybe the real solution is to put a cap on campers instead of making it easier for increasing numbers of campers?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe the real solution is to put a cap on campers instead of making it easier for increasing numbers of campers?
Well ok, but I'm not sure how giving them hats is going to help.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #29
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like those things are pretty useful for road trips. You can camp in a parking lot, or not worry if a campsite wasn't available or muddy after a downpour or just straight up uneven terrain...

That being said, I kinda get where Sliver is coming from. No one generally buys one of these things for these special environmental considerations. They get it because it's some weird luxury that's cool and unique because no one else can ever justify pouring money into one of these things.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #30
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Fata that. We need to develop the rockies even more. There needs to be another campground there ASAP, as well as another town. Maybe allow a campground as well as some condo developments at the base of Lake Louise as an easy place to start.

The mountains are beautiful and should be enjoyed, not rationed out to a limited number of people. Let's get another town going between Louise and Banff and market it around the world as a destination. Expanding tourism by using an additional 0.00001% of our available mountain real estate is a no brainer. I'm sure glad the people/government in the 1900s had the foresight to plan all there is in the mountains now so we can enjoy it, but we're sure dropping the ball for the generations that will follow us. All roof top tents will be banned in Mount Sliver.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #31
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno. Campgrounds are busy on weekends. They're dead during weekdays.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well ok, but I'm not sure how giving them hats is going to help.
Aren't we discussing hats on vehicles here?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #33
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Aren't we discussing hats on vehicles here?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #34
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

yeah, can we get a town between banff and jasper?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #35
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know a few folks who have them on there jeep, great for hunting and clears up space inside the cab. Especially leaving with a quartered animal having to find a space up front can be a pain. Setup and take down are simple,but i opted for a tipi tent that with stove is under 6# and fits in the pack as i can take it up the mountain as well. If i already had the tipi id definitely consider the roof tent
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #36
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Chevy Avalanche bed tents are cool because you can open the midgate. But I agree the rest are dumb
Yup, had an OEM one back in 2004 to 2006. Turn on the truck at night if get a bit chilly, and basically have 8 ft by 4.5ft of floor space. A breeze to set up and tear down with all the attaching to the box done with some custom fasteners.

I know why it was cancelled when GM upgraded that platform in 2015(sales), but if they ever brought it back, keeping the same dimensions, and made the rear of the cab a bit more spacious (which means a shorter box with midgate up, but all equals out when flip the midgate down), I’d be all over it.

From the step in the bumper, which only in the last Gen of GM trucks did they adopt, to the side cargo bins which RAM took over, and removeable back glass and sectional tonneau cover, it was a very unique vehicle.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #37
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://treelineoutdoors.com/pages/about

These guys started their company after a grizzly came into their camp and they were sitting there as bearittos just waiting to be eaten.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

skip to 1 min. Transformers!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez, a shower, toilet, kitchen. Crazy engineering in there.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
https://treelineoutdoors.com/pages/about

These guys started their company after a grizzly came into their camp and they were sitting there as bearittos just waiting to be eaten.
lol, what does putting your tent five feet above the ground do to stop a grizzly? A roof top tent solves no problems, although it does create a few.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
GGG

Tags
roof top tents