Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #581
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Too many weird things can happen in a game (early 2 man advantage for example) for me to feel comfortable about winning 3 straight games. Would much rather they come back to Calgary tied as I feel the Flames just need a good effort and result to get things rolling.
I feel the same. A win in game 4 (preferably a decisive one) will give them a much needed confidence boost, and then they can come home with the C of Red behind them and they can feed off that energy.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #582
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Keys to victory

Boring road hockey...we need to play hospital hockey.
Discipline ....skate away from scrums
Forwards must backcheck and clog neutral zone without it were F
Keep the Bloody shots down
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #583
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames lost a close one in game 2 despite playing well below what they’re capable of doing.
They got blistered in every possible way last night. The score was flattering and the Flames were totally embarrassed.

The one sidedness of Game 3 will spark a strong response from the Flames or this team is nowhere as good as I believe they are.

Flames win game 4.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #584
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Keys to victory

Boring road hockey...we need to play hospital hockey.
Discipline ....skate away from scrums
Forwards must backcheck and clog neutral zone without it were F
Keep the Bloody shots down
I believe you meant to inject lots of “patients “ somewhere in the solution.

No?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #585
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
I hate losing.

What's the saying? "Show me someone who doesn't mind losing and I'll show you a loser"
It’s funny you think that saying applies to you as a fan. You aren’t doing either in this case, you’re just watching. You can choose how much the loses chap your ass and has no reflection on you as a person who wins or loses.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #586
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that nothing is settled yet, despite the embarrassment of getting absolutely killed yesterday. A win in game 4 and it could be a new series. Poor play in game 4 and it's not just that the series is very likely done, it's also that there will be deep questions left about the character of the team and the coaching, just as there are in Tampa right now.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #587
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hard to find positives but so far, team who has won the 4th game are 2 and 0 so there's that.

Trying to be optimistic as some pessimistics will probably counter with "the team that lost the 3rd game are 0 and 2 so far"
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #588
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Vegas betting odds for the series right now are Flames +115 / Avs -135.

The oddsmakers think the Flames win the series 45% of the time. Let's be more optimistic around here -- we are they better team we just need to show it.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #589
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I'd like to win game 4, but it's not necessary. Could pull this out in 7 after being down 3-1
I might have to be restrained forcefully by multiple CP posters while furiously calling for a bunch of players to be sold for magic beans or bought out.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #590
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames look exactly like the team that was playing the week of October 21st. They beat the Rangers 4-1 but only thanks to great goaltending (similar to game 1 (4-0). Then lose by a goal to the Habs (thinking it was close but it wasn't. Same as the 2nd game of this series) then the infamous Pittsburgh debacle (same as in game 3).

The next one they played against the Caps was much better and lost in a shootout. (So let's say they play the same and lose in OT). After that 2 great games back to back against TO and Buf (when they were a top team). So far they are 3 and 3 in that stretch.

Now guess who they played their 7th game against? Correct, the Avs. The game they were down 4-1 to begin the 3rd and came back to win 6-5 with a Neal snipe.

One can only dream!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #591
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I may not act like it, but the mere thought of Games 2 and 3 drives me into a barely controlled silent rage.

I am about as sore a loser as they come when its playoffs.

The last 15 years have sapped all the passion I had for the Flames. I'm at the "I'm not even mad, just disappointed" phase now, I fully expect the Flames to lose in 5 because that's the game I'll be at
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #592
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The last 15 years have sapped all the passion I had for the Flames. I'm at the "I'm not even mad, just disappointed" phase now, I fully expect the Flames to lose in 5 because that's the game I'll be at
My magic ball says Flames by two in game 5 and Flames in OT in game 6.

But please do not bet the house on it!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #593
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The Flames lost a close one in game 2 despite playing well below what they’re capable of doing.
They got blistered in every possible way last night. The score was flattering and the Flames were totally embarrassed.

The one sidedness of Game 3 will spark a strong response from the Flames or this team is nowhere as good as I believe they are.

Flames win game 4.
If Calgary gets back to playing their game this will definitely be true. It’ll be fun to watch tomorrow that’s for sure.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #594
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I'd like to win game 4, but it's not necessary. Could pull this out in 7 after being down 3-1
That's how I see it too, even if it wasn't how most observers (me included) envisioned the series at its outset. At this point, even if the Flames tie it up tomorrow, winning 2 out of the three remaining games will be really tough. Obviously winning 3 straight would be harder, but the way the series has gone so far, it wouldn't be a world apart from taking two of games 5, 6 & 7. They've got their hands full no matter what happens in game 4.

If - and likely only if - the Flames turn it on after hypothetically going down 3-1, they can come back. It's not like the Avs are an unassailable juggernaut, and the Flames were a streaky team in the second half. Rediscovering what made them click during the good streaks will be key. They need to bring what they brought to the division-clincher in San Jose, except a couple of notches higher, this being the postseason and all.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #595
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Can't even criticize that take. This is the life of a Flames fan, at least since we last won the cup when I was six years old. Being a fan of the Flames in an exercise in adaptation to mediocrity and disappointment.

I'm hopeful and not giving up on them, but this successful season has definitely been bucking the Flames' lifetime trend so far. Disappointment in this series would suck, but would be like a return to normalcy. Waking up out of the dream to find your mediocre life waiting.

I'll still be trying to enjoy as long as the dream's alive though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 AM   #596
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 3 final score

2 at 6

Post game links
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...me-3-1.5099295
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=3&final=true
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap126251.html
Old 04-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #597
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Has anybody caught any talk of what time Game 5 will be on Friday?

I heard Kelly Kersch mention on 960 that it may not be late but nothing has been released yet. We've got a large family gathering on Friday and I need to prepare my wife for my eventual absence from that.
Got an email this morning:

GAME TIME SET: PUCK DROP AT 8:00PM

Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche
Round 1, Home Game C
Friday, April 19 @ 8:00pm
Doors Open @ 6:00pm

Please note that the game time for Round 1, Home Game C has been set for 8:00pm on Friday, April 19.

Doors will open @ 6:00pm and Hockey Happy Hour will run from 6:00pm to 7:00pm.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #598
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw an update from The Score.

Valimaki makes his playoffs debut tonight!

Calgary Sun Reports:

Quote:
He will skate alongside fellow freshman Rasmus Andersson on the third pair, with Oscar Fantenberg bumped to the press-box.

Last edited by flamesrule_kipper34; 04-17-2019 at 01:43 PM.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #599
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing that is killing me the most right now is that we are were a number 1 seed with average goaltending, and are now come playoff time we are wasting elite goaltending from Smith.

Had you told me coming into the series that after 4 games Smith would be one of the best goalies in the playoffs and that he would have a .931 save percentage I would have felt like the Flames had a good shot at winning the cup.

Instead we are a game away from elimination mostly because the rest of our team has been horrendous.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #600
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Thing that is killing me the most right now is that we are were a number 1 seed with average goaltending, and are now come playoff time we are wasting elite goaltending from Smith.

Had you told me coming into the series that after 4 games Smith would be one of the best goalies in the playoffs and that he would have a .931 save percentage I would have felt like the Flames had a good shot at winning the cup.

Instead we are a game away from elimination mostly because the rest of our team has been horrendous.
There were a lot of comments throughout the year that if the flames had good goaltending we'd be better than Tampa. Seems like that has been born out in the playoffs.

If they can get back their pre-ASG mojo at home for Game 5 I think they still have a chance, but they've dug a pretty big hole here.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote