Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #41
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Pretty crap for anyone that wants a truck to use as a truck, no matter what way word it. Add in the the fact that it'll come with Jeep reliability and likely a gross price tag, that's a huge pass from me
Dude, there are lots of ways to use a truck as a truck that don't require you to tow over 7500 lbs. I use my F-150 all week long all over the city with the box filled with stuff, and in the summer it pulls my 4750 lbs holiday trailer. I use a truck as a truck more than 99% of guys (because I use it for work and fun, not because I'm so great or anything) and the Jeep would be just fine capability-wise for basically everything I do.

That said, I wouldn't want to cram my family into the Jeep because I'm sure the backseat would suck, but I wouldn't want a Ranger, Frontier, Tacoma, etc. for the same reason, either.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dude, there are lots of ways to use a truck as a truck that don't require you to tow over 7500 lbs. I use my F-150 all week long all over the city with the box filled with stuff, and in the summer it pulls my 4750 lbs holiday trailer. I use a truck as a truck more than 99% of guys (because I use it for work and fun, not because I'm so great or anything) and the Jeep would be just fine capability-wise for basically everything I do.

That said, I wouldn't want to cram my family into the Jeep because I'm sure the backseat would suck, but I wouldn't want a Ranger, Frontier, Tacoma, etc. for the same reason, either.
Well like you said, you have an F-150. Would you really want to spend an extra few thousand for a smaller vehicle that rides worse and can do even less? Subjective things like looks and the brand aside, it's still squarely in the camp of 'why bother' for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It'll suffer from the same issue as the rest of that segment. Price. By the time you get one with any half decent features, you're well into the pricing of a decent half ton.

Why would you buy the vehicle that can do less for the same money. Like I said, it'll sell for the image that's about it
Replying again do address the edit.

Yeah, price of the smaller trucks is a problem, but some people just prefer the smaller vehicles. Can't say I blame them. Cruising around the industrial parks in my F-150 is fine, but I notice how big it is when I go to parallel park it in Kensington, or downtown, or shove it into a skinny parking spot somewhere. I could see wanting a smaller truck. And maybe it's like clothes. Your size 10 shoes cost the exact same as my size 15 and that's just the way is.

On one hand, though, the Jeep can do a lot more than any other truck. Have you ever owned a convertible? They're ridiculously fun. I'm on my third one right now. It's the best. I love the open air feel. It's like cruising around in a speed boat in the city, but on streets instead of water. But usually convertibles come with a lot of impracticality (sports cars). To have the practicality of a very usable truck, with a very respectable towing capacity, in a vehicle that can be used year-round is great. This is an exciting vehicle for car guys because it offers something new to the landscape.

I'm stoked on this. Too often I'm reading about the newest crossovers. Oh look, they're rounding the edges this year. Oh look, now they're sharpening the edges this year. Oh look, rounding edges again. It's depressing. I'd love to see more neat vehicles like this out there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #44
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I'm sure it'll sell just fine between niche buyers and jeep fanboys, I just don't think it'll sway any undecided buyers that actually test the market.

Doesn't pique my interest one bit, but granted, nothing Chrysler makes does (Except maybe Alfa)

edit: I also hate convertibles. Handle way too soft and mushy

Last edited by btimbit; 04-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #45
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

wait this isn't an april fools thread?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well like you said, you have an F-150. Would you really want to spend an extra few thousand for a smaller vehicle that rides worse and can do even less? Subjective things like looks and the brand aside, it's still squarely in the camp of 'why bother' for me
I've aged out of the group that would want this. I bought a Wrangler six years ago or so and sold it within the week. Slow, uncomfortable, tassels and straps and crap dangling everywhere. I don't have any interest in owning something like this anymore, but I do appreciate it for what it is and think it's great.

I think it can do more than the F-150, though, in one major way, anyway. Convertibles go a long way with me and I believe you have to have owned one to understand what a great motoring experience they can be that is a huge enhancement over non-convertibles. Also, this would fit in my garage way better than my F-150, which is a consideration some will have.

If I was in my 20s or whatever, I think this would appeal to girls more. Is that a factor people consider anymore? Like, you want to look cool still, I think. You're going to have more fun hanging out in this with your date with the top down than in my F-150, I would hope.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I was going to make a post about how convertibles make you look like you're in the middle of a mid life crisis, but then I remembered I have a Corvette in the garage so maybe we'll just gloss over that point
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well I was going to make a post about how convertibles make you look like you're in the middle of a mid life crisis, but then I remembered I have a Corvette in the garage so maybe we'll just gloss over that point
haha, they're even better when you're bald to really drive the mid-life crisis point home to the outside world.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #49
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually to what you're saying about Convertibles, I'm curious how many people would agree with you on that. I know a lot of people that don't even like driving with their windows down. And like I said I personally don't like convertibles because of how they handle but I know that's not something most people would even notice
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #50
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
...I think it can do more than the F-150, though, in one major way, anyway. Convertibles go a long way with me and I believe you have to have owned one to understand what a great motoring experience they can be that is a huge enhancement over non-convertibles.

You're going to have more fun hanging out in this with your date with the top down than in my F-150, I would hope.
In my experience, the fantasy is often better than reality when on a top-less date.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #51
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Actually to what you're saying about Convertibles, I'm curious how many people would agree with you on that. I know a lot of people that don't even like driving with their windows down. And like I said I personally don't like convertibles because of how they handle but I know that's not something most people would even notice
My '05 Mustang convertible handled like crap, but I gave it a pass because it was fast straight line and I have low expectations for a Mustang's handling, anyway. You could sure feel the body twist front to back between the axles when the pavement was undulating.

My current '08 Cooper S convertible is very solid, but it kind of has a roll bar thing up the back behind the back seats that strengthens it, plus the strut tower brace. No complaints with that one.

The Jeep will feel fine because it's really the same as any other Jeep. That roll bar makes for a rigid enough body that I don't think there is a huge convertible penalty to pay.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My '05 Mustang convertible handled like crap, but I gave it a pass because it was fast straight line and I have low expectations for a Mustang's handling, anyway. You could sure feel the body twist front to back between the axles when the pavement was undulating.

My current '08 Cooper S convertible is very solid, but it kind of has a roll bar thing up the back behind the back seats that strengthens it, plus the strut tower brace. No complaints with that one.

The Jeep will feel fine because it's really the same as any other Jeep. That roll bar makes for a rigid enough body that I don't think there is a huge convertible penalty to pay.
So in other words, it won't feel fine
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how the soft top, when folded wouldn't be a massive wind scoop waiting to get torn off. Your video in the first post at 7:30. That can't possible work at 120km/h hour, can it?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #54
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
4.5 foot are abominations.

My S-10 is an extended cab with a 6 foot box. It's the perfect size truck for me. I don't need to move people, I need to move stuff. Having the extended cab still means I can put some things securely in the cab, and a person if I have to, not that I'd want to put anyone through that, having spent my childhood in those jumper seats...

What I'm saying is, I don't know why you'd sacrifice stuff storage for people storage.
Because a percentage.of truck buyers are basically buying tall cars with a giant light, square rear end. In that case, the interior comfort is way more important
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:31 PM   #55
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Jeep has a handful of concepts based on the Gladiator. Personally I hope they make this one. It reminds me a lot of the convertible trucks of the 70s-80s and it has a larger bed.

https://driving.ca/jeep/gladiator/au...b-safari-specs
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #56
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It would be killer with a SUV tent or a pop-up camper on the back.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #57
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Jeep has a handful of concepts based on the Gladiator. Personally I hope they make this one. It reminds me a lot of the convertible trucks of the 70s-80s and it has a larger bed.

https://driving.ca/jeep/gladiator/au...b-safari-specs
Nah, I can't see them making a single cab truck. Looks cool for sure, but there's no market for it.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #58
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would look really nice with a foldable tent on top, preferably in aqua blue
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #59
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look up 2 posts
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #60
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Agree with all the Baja comments. Why do people love ugly vehicles that are awful to drive so much?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gladiator , jeep