Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #21
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Regular season, I agree.

Post season, I disagree. I don't feel his game translates well to the playoffs.

It’s the same game. It’s more a matter of him seizing the moment in the playoffs, which I don’t seen any reason why he wouldn’t.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think elite wingers are always downgraded here. While they do not drive success like the center position an elite winger is required to win the Stanley Cup. The only team that might not have an elite winger was the first 2 Crosby/Malkin cup teams.

You really need to be above average throughout the roster. I don't think that you can point to a position on a team and say They didn't have a good X and won the cup.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #23
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Vernon
Vernon was hardly average when the Flames won the Cup. He had the 4th best save percentage in the league in 88-89 and the 2nd best GAA. I’m not sure you need an elite goalie, but you do need a very good one.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #24
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think elite wingers are always downgraded here. While they do not drive success like the center position an elite winger is required to win the Stanley Cup. The only team that might not have an elite winger was the first 2 Crosby/Malkin cup teams.
Err… I think you just demonstrated that you don't require an elite winger to win the Stanley Cup.

I agree that it makes things a hell of a lot easier if you've got one, of course. And easier still if you've got more than one.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Err… I think you just demonstrated that you don't require an elite winger to win the Stanley Cup.

I agree that it makes things a hell of a lot easier if you've got one, of course. And easier still if you've got more than one.
If you have a generational Center an a 2nd top in the league Center you don’t need an elite winger, or if you only have 1 top 10 Center in the league you need an elite winger. A GM can’t go out and acquire one of those generational players therefore acquiring and elite winger should be on the list. And let’s not forget that Crosby only one Cup without an elite winger and didn’t win another until they acquired a motivated Kessel.

The Blackhawks first Cup they needed two elite wingers which made up for goaltending.

It’s the overall mix of a teams above average talent that’s required to win. If this was a statement of who should teams draft I would agree that a top Center and top D because they are much harder to acquire should be the focus of the draft over wings but in terms of actually building a cup winner 2 of 3 1st line players and your first D pair need to be elite, you need a line shut down the opponents top line, you need secondary scoring from the fourth line up.

All of these things need to come together to Actually win. The teams that have won the cup recently are all very solid top to bottom. The biggest trait might be having 2nd players who would be 1st line players on bubble playoff teams.

Last edited by GGG; 08-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you have a generational Center an a 2nd top in the league Center you don’t need an elite winger, or if you only have 1 top 10 Center in the league you need an elite winger. A GM can’t go out and acquire one of those generational players therefore acquiring and elite winger should be on the list.
Quite right. I would put it a little differently, that's all: you need at least two elite forwards (preferably more), and at least one of them has got to be a centre. If they are all centres, well, that's a nice problem to have.
GGG
Old 08-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #27
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lol

he scores one nice goal and that is evidence he is a game breaker? show me all the clips where the ducks shut him down and played physically on him, taking away his time and space.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #28
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
It’s the same game. It’s more a matter of him seizing the moment in the playoffs, which I don’t seen any reason why he wouldn’t.
can't tell if you're serious or not.... cause the playoffs are certainly not the same game. 9 out of 10 people who watch the playoffs will say it's different, the other 1 out of 10 is wrong.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
can't tell if you're serious or not.... cause the playoffs are certainly not the same game. 9 out of 10 people who watch the playoffs will say it's different, the other 1 out of 10 is wrong.
I can’t tell if you’re serious or not... elite forwards get shut down in the playoffs every year. It’s one of the main objectives of the opponent.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #30
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Regular season, I agree.
Post season, I disagree. I don't feel his game translates well to the playoffs.
So the 11 points in 15 playoff games doesn't mean anything?

Johnny, Tkachuk and Monahan are all capable of breaking a game open with their skill sets as forwards....it doesn't matter if it's the post season or regular season. This group of players hasn't had a chance to shine yet as they were all very young, inexperienced the last time this team made the playoffs.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
he scores one nice goal and that is evidence he is a game breaker? show me all the clips where the ducks shut him down and played physically on him, taking away his time and space.
I would counter by pointing out that Gaudreau has only played a total of 15 playoff games over two seasons, and that it is way too early to be making this pronouncement. On the contrary, I see no reason to think that he won't be a great playoff performer, even if the results to this point have been mixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #32
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

People said Datsyuk couldn't get it done in the playoffs - too small, too soft, too Russian - after his first 3 post seasons with 3 goals and 9 points in 37 games.

But he then had 104 points in 120 games over the rest of his career.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #33
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It’s the same game. Hockey I believe it’s called. The question is whether he will rise to the occasion and can match or exceed the intensity of his opponents. Which, I don’t think there is enough data to determine at this point.

Also where did you get your stats? I’m guessing there is some old toilet paper stuck to them.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Vernon was hardly average when the Flames won the Cup. He had the 4th best save percentage in the league in 88-89 and the 2nd best GAA. I’m not sure you need an elite goalie, but you do need a very good one.
Vernon was good but not great and was pretty lucky with the teams he was on. There was no better team from top to bottom than the 89 Flames and the Wings were the same.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #35
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau not a game-breaker? Now I've heard it all.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #36
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not picking on you, but these are the types of 'dig your feet in' comments that derail any good conversation.

If you have a point, prove it with your own videos. Have a conversation.

He disagreed, and took a few minutes to find a video to demonstrate how he thought of Gaudreau in the playoffs. Not every response needs to be a thoroughly researched novel that 100% addresses your POV.

Personally, I think a playoff goal to tie it in the final seconds against the Ducks is a pretty damn good video to show in a debate like this.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #37
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I can’t tell if you’re serious or not... elite forwards get shut down in the playoffs every year. It’s one of the main objectives of the opponent.
great observation. and in my opinion he gets shut down more than he is elite.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #38
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
So the 11 points in 15 playoff games doesn't mean anything?

Johnny, Tkachuk and Monahan are all capable of breaking a game open with their skill sets as forwards....it doesn't matter if it's the post season or regular season. This group of players hasn't had a chance to shine yet as they were all very young, inexperienced the last time this team made the playoffs.
a nearly 20% drop in production from career regular season to career playoffs, that means something to me. if you look, all elite players have a drop in production come playoffs. i just feel johnny's game doesn't translate as well as true elite players.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #39
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I would counter by pointing out that Gaudreau has only played a total of 15 playoff games over two seasons, and that it is way too early to be making this pronouncement. On the contrary, I see no reason to think that he won't be a great playoff performer, even if the results to this point have been mixed.
fair enough, i see what you're saying. my opinion is different, and he will struggle in the post season more often than not.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
People said Datsyuk couldn't get it done in the playoffs - too small, too soft, too Russian - after his first 3 post seasons with 3 goals and 9 points in 37 games.

But he then had 104 points in 120 games over the rest of his career.
every player is different, i'm talking about johnny, not pavel. different player, different style, different era.