Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #701
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to add that Jankowski has been awful as well if it hasn't been mentioned among the whipping boys.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #702
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Yeah Jankowski has been... wow. So bad. Looks like he’s not even trying.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #703
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's too bad because Smith has been killer.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #704
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Why am I so invested in the Flames?

So much potential completely wasted. Just disappointment all around.

I'm probably only going to watch the 1st period tomorrow.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #705
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Comes down to Flames top paid forwards not contributing. Huge fails so far by Gadreau, Monahan and Neal.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #706
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yeah Jankowski has been... wow. So bad. Looks like he’s not even trying.
For that matter Monahan too. Monahan has had maybe 2 good shifts this series. Maybe. The rest has been floating around missing defensive assignments.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #707
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Comes down to Flames top paid forwards not contributing. Huge fails so far by Gadreau, Monahan and Neal.
Neal has been a failure since October. The guy has no excuse.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #708
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames have gotten away from what made them so successful earlier in the year.

Anyone else remember the effortless zone exits? What is up with this pushing it weakly up the boards where the Avs intercept and chip it back in. An adjustment there goes a long ways.

Avs have been good yes. But I’ve seen this group of Flames play much better. They need to go home, have a beer, relax. A few game plan adjustments and everyone frickin hit Barrie at every opportunity and they could still pull this off.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #709
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Didn't watch any of the game last night, so Smith was the only one standing on his head? My how the tables have turned since the beginning of the season.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #710
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Why am I so invested in the Flames?

So much potential completely wasted. Just disappointment all around.

I'm probably only going to watch the 1st period tomorrow.
It's bad eh? Hardly slept last night. Been awake since 4am.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #711
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say there is a group of 8 players led by the Bread Eater and Gio that seem to have a playoff compete level going; the rest? Send 'em to Mongolia

- Johnny "whine & coast" Gaudreau
- TJ "Bad Hockey Sense" Brodie
- Sean "Asleep at the wheel" Monahan
- James "are the Avs paying you off?" Neal
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #712
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a shame. A deep run is exactly what Calgary needed as a city. Seems like the franchise just cannot get it done in he playoffs
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #713
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith has not disappointed at all. He has been fantastic, which actually makes the rest of the Flames more disappointing.

I wish Peters was showing some sign of action though. He hasn't seemed to bring any compete level of his own. No gamesmanship. No emotional management. He should have complained publicly about the reffing to distract and take pressure off. He should have switched Smith out in game 3. He should have had the Flames ready to go and should be able to adapt the game plan as needed. None of these things going on though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #714
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny whiner performing live at the saddledome Friday, backed up by Tj the turnover and the Casper crew (neal, janko, Monahan).
This postseason has been the reverse of the first quarter of this season. Top 3 lines ineffective, bottom line somehow our best and smith playing great. Only TJs baffling decision making remains consistent
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #715
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I have been a big defender of Monahan but he and gaudreau have been pretty much useless. Problem is that we are stuck with this team unless we hit it out of the park with a later pick. Do we even have any big skilled centers in our system?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #716
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I have it on good authority that the NHL has received complaints from a couple of Millennials from the Flames organization. They claim that the results against the Avalanche weren’t fair and that they had been intimidated and bullied in the last four games. The NHL have responded saying “We take these allegations very seriously and in order to protect our little snowflakes, we are having their names inscribed on the Stanley Cup this year in the new section called “best triers”. They will also receive a participation medal.”
calgaryfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #717
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryfox View Post
I have it on good authority that the NHL has received complaints from a couple of Millennials from the Flames organization. They claim that the results against the Avalanche weren’t fair and that they had been intimidated and bullied in the last four games. The NHL have responded saying “We take these allegations very seriously and in order to protect our little snowflakes, we are having their names inscribed on the Stanley Cup this year in the new section called “best triers”. They will also receive a participation medal.”
Lies.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #718
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't expect Calgary to have a deep run assuming their goaltending would let them down, never saw this coming.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #719
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny needs to quit whining. He’s embarrassing himself and turning the refs against the team. Jankowski has lots of skill but absolutely no fire in his belly and if he can’t get fired up because it’s not his nature then it’s time to move him out. Neal is a waste of a roster spot. Old before his time and done! Treliving is going to have his work cut out for him if he wants a cup contender. The team is entertaining though just like Tampa.
442scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #720
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The hilarious thing, in the most horrific, black comedy way possible, is that this is the high water mark of our rebuild. Like everyone had career years and this is the result.

FML.
Not sure it works that way. Gio aside, I think you expect a team with such a young core to have career years or close to it as they enter their primes. It would be a different more scary thing if we were relying of Neal or Brodie having career years for example.

But what this is clearly showing, is that the Flames likely overachieved in the regular season and we are much closer to the team that played post all star break not the one that we saw in the first half. That team played to a 95 point pace, which would have been good for 3rd in the division. Probably more in line with pre season expectations.

Finally it’s also showing what many feared, this team isn’t built the right way for a long playoff run. Don’t think many thought it would nail us this bad in round one (I sure didn’t) but regardless it’s reared it’s ugly head.

I think it’s a bit much to say this is as good as it gets. It’s a young team, we shoukd expect career years from players entering their primes and not assume they are statistical annomilies. In the same breath, playing well in the playoffs, especially as a favourite is another skill, also no reason to believe our young players can’t get better at playoff hockey as the years go by. And lastly, seems like BT akso wasn’t sure this team had the exact right make up, and will likely try to improve it.

Point being, as much as this stings, once the emotions settle down, the truth is this year is an improvement and a step forward. Back in the playoffs and for the first time in over a decade, the team didn’t push it to the last possible minute to qualify and also snagged hone ice. Those last points make this outcome so much more painful, but they are steps forward none the less.

Our current players will get better, and no doubt BT will make changes too, he’s never been shy to do so.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 04-18-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post: