Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #41
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't care about tents on cars at all but I am loving these weird gear-grinding overreaction threads. Keep 'em coming Silver.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its an ideal place to store your food so Bears cant steal your picanic baskets!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #43
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
yeah, can we get a town between banff and jasper?
I shall call it Otisburgh!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #44
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I don't care about tents on cars at all but I am loving these weird gear-grinding overreaction threads. Keep 'em coming Silver.
we need a Silver's greatest hits thread.
banning dogs, sneaking alcohol into park concerts, keeping his cat in the garage, and now car tents.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #45
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have never bought, but I've been admittedly intrigued - would most likely use for mtn biking adventures, for the reasons others have cited.
I actually brought up in the Tacoma thread I started (and many who shared Sliver's opinion : )
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ghlight=tacoma
Was just thinking, for those who have this type of setup (or just generally know), where could you legally set these up - would it have to be at a designate camping site (just thinking a lot of trailhead parking sites state no overnight parking, or am I recalling incorrectly? As well, in national parks I'm guessing restrictions on where you can set up?))
Old 02-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #46
Daniel-J
Draft Pick

There is no unequivocal answer to that question. If you're planning a long trip with a tent it's obviously not convenient. If you have a short trip, I don't see the point in wasting your energy on a trailer or other equipment.

I travel around the world with this trailer WILDWOOD 27RKS and this big mattress inside for total comfort.
Daniel-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #47
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-J View Post
There is no unequivocal answer to that question. If you're planning a long trip with a tent it's obviously not convenient. If you have a short trip, I don't see the point in wasting your energy on a trailer or other equipment.

I travel around the world with this trailer WILDWOOD 27RKS and this big mattress inside for total comfort.
That is a full size trailer that requires a significant upgrade in tow vehicles and a storage location. That is a giant leap from sleeping in a car or on the roof.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #48
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I think the roof tent was initially intended to be used in the back country. It fills that niche where you want to drive your 4x4 out in the wilderness, can't tow a trailer and a tent may not work because you don't have the nice flat pad. I've had a trailer and it's limited to where you take it.
Exactly this, they were first marketed for overlanders who have to overnight where there are no real spots to pitch a tent or trails don't allow for a trailer. Then instagram took over and a fad began, now you see these in a middle of a campground which is frankly hilarious.

And most people will leave them on the frame when not in use, because who wants to go through the trouble of taking them down. More weight and less fuel mileage. At least with a tent you can unpack the vehicle. Overlanding is the only application these things make sense in.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #49
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good timing for this thread, as I'm thinking about an RTT for our small family (us and 4 and 7 year old), and trying to decide between an RTT or a smaller camper.

We have a Lexus LX470 (ie Landcruiser 100) and want to use it mostly for road trips (mixed with hotels), and general family adventure. My current budget is <$10K for everything including housing/roof racks/hitch etc. Unfortunately every trailer I've looked at within that price range feels like I'm entering grandmas house in the 70s. Plus when we travel, we like a mix of city and country, and the idea of towing/parking in a city does not appeal to me whatsoever.

So far what I've found with RTT's, relatively to pop up tent or small campers:

Pros:
• Price, relative to a camper
• No towing (my biggest pro), so easier to park and maneuver around in urban environments
• Allows you flexibility to go more off-road or in more remote locations, which many campers aren't suited for.
• No hitch needed, or if you have one, can be used for other items (bikes)
• Set up is pretty quick (some hard-shells take less than a minute, and under 5 minutes to close)
• Because of quick setup, better for short trips, or if you are always on the go.
• Safer from animals as you're higher up (important with my wife, especially after the CP wolf incident!)
• Being off the ground also offers protection against colder/wet/uneven ground, relatively to tents.
• No off-site storage fees in winter.
• The design/aesthetic of them feels from this century, unlike the ####ty plywood campers form Indiana.
• Feels more like an adventure, especially for the kids.
• If we don't like it, relatively cheap buy-in compared to camper.

Cons:
• Price, relatively to tents
• Typically need a more hardcore roof rack because of weight.
• Space inside obviously not as big as a camper (2 adults + 2 kids is the max)
• No amenities inside (shower/toilet/kitchen). Experience might get a little too real after a while.
• Your rooftop space is used up if you like to bring other things
• Probably poorer fuel economy compared to towing as you have a brick on your roof (less of an issue with more aerodynamic hard-shell tents). Also raises your center of gravity.
• Despite quick setup/takedown, need to do so every time you want to leave your site.
• Still a canvas tent, so somewhat susceptible to weather/lightning compared to hard-shell camper.
• Need to use a ladder.
• Probably not ideal if you like to stay in one place for longer periods.
• While no storage fees, still need to find a place to store it in winter. Probably a headache to take on/off.
• Probably will outgrow it in a few years.

In case anyone else is looking, my current contenders are:
• Ikamper Skycamp (my favorite, but $$$)
• Tepui Autana 4
• CVT Denali
• 23zero Walkabout 87

Last edited by Table 5; 02-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #50
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Good timing for this thread, as I'm thinking about an RTT for our small family (us and 4 and 7 year old), and trying to decide between an RTT or a smaller camper.

We have a Lexus LX470 (ie Landcruiser 100) and want to use it mostly for road trips (mixed with hotels), and general family adventure.
Have you checked the load rating for your roof? It may only be 150 lbs-300 lbs. If so, you'd have to build a frame to distribute the load to the sub-frame.

I have seen outbacks with these things mounted on the stock rails, and the RTT itself exceeds the capacity of the roof without even having a person in it. Just asking for trouble.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 02-28-2020 at 01:53 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #51
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I have seen outbacks with these things mounted on the stock rails, and the RTT itself exceeds the capacity of the roof without even having a person in it. Just asking for trouble.
One thing to keep in mind is that the rating they give you is typically the Dynamic Load rating (ie when you're car is in motion), not the Static Load one (which can be 2-3x higher).

Having said that, while some stock rails will handle it, in general it definitely seems like it's much better to have a more hardcore rack like a Front Runner, RhinoRack, Prinsu etc.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Safer from animals as you're higher up (important with my wife, especially after the CP wolf incident!)
• Being off the ground also offers protection against colder/wet/uneven ground, relatively to tents.
I would disagree that these are Cons relative to a conventional tent. Given the total number of animal attacks at night in campgrounds stands at 1 you are not solving a reasonable fear. It may FEEL safer which might be what you are looking for but since you are driving from campsite to hotel the risk of driving is likely 1000 times greater than any animal risks.

The being off the ground one is really a matter of gear selection and competence. I have never gotten wet camping in a tent. If you use crappy tents and air mattresses as a comparison then your point is certainly valid. But their isn’t a reason ever to be wet or cold or uncomfortable in a car camping tent. If you are you are doing it wrong.

Looking at the design of the Icamper I would be concerned about leakage though the windows and what looks like a skylight. Also I would be concerned with condensation with one wall being the hard plastic roof and limited ability to open windows if it’s raining out. Ideally you would have fly coverage down to the edges with mesh windows that can be opened and allow airflow.

The other thing to look at would be if you can leave your clothes, sleeping pad, bag in your tent when you pack up. Because if you are camping somewhere 2 or 3 nights if you can’t leave all of your stuff in there it would be really annoying.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #53
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would disagree that these are Cons relative to a conventional tent. Given the total number of animal attacks at night in campgrounds stands at 1 you are not solving a reasonable fear. It may FEEL safer which might be what you are looking for but since you are driving from campsite to hotel the risk of driving is likely 1000 times greater than any animal risks.
I think from things like snakes and ground bugs/critters, there is definitely an advantage. Everything else is definitely more negligible (although I imagine something like a wolf/bear/person may be more disinclined to climb up a ladder).

Whatever the reality may be, that perception of safety compared to a ground tent is what makes this 100% more viable for someone like my wife.
GGG
Old 02-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #54
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
IThe other thing to look at would be if you can leave your clothes, sleeping pad, bag in your tent when you pack up. Because if you are camping somewhere 2 or 3 nights if you can’t leave all of your stuff in there it would be really annoying.
You typically don't need a sleeping pad as there is a mattress built into the RTT. In regards to other items, Ive heard that with most you can leave stuff in there as long as its somewhat compressible (ie. down). Obviously there is a limit though, and it varies from one model to the other.
GGG
Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #55
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

This guy has loads of stuff on rooftop tents and over landing in general

https://youtu.be/jp9BcbIJCfk

^ ikamper review
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post: