Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I’m not a climate change activist. They should be making the biggest changes and donations.

However i’ve made huge changes to reduce more than arguably any of them. Even as far as converting my front lawn from grass to rocks to save water. Calgary is a dry climate, we overwater here to keep our grass green. As far as food goes, i throw out almost nothing.
I don't want to side track this thread but you don't really need to over-water in Calgary. Once a week is sufficient even in August. It's all I do and I always have a green lawn. The issue I see is a lot of commercial properties with the underground sprinkler systems are watering multiple times a week (many soaking the roads as much as the grass). That's a big waste of water.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #22
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

You can freeze or even just refrigerate bread you don't think you will use on time. It can then be used for toast. Putting it in the microwave will make it seem fresh again.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #23
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't want to side track this thread but you don't really need to over-water in Calgary. Once a week is sufficient even in August. It's all I do and I always have a green lawn. The issue I see is a lot of commercial properties with the underground sprinkler systems are watering multiple times a week (many soaking the roads as much as the grass). That's a big waste of water.
I never water my lawn and it looks great, but I fertilize and tend to it. It gets a little brown during droughts but it’s as green as grass (pardon the pun) when it rains. Grass watering is overrated.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You can freeze or even just refrigerate bread you don't think you will use on time. It can then be used for toast. Putting it in the microwave will make it seem fresh again.
Yeah we freeze stuff like bread if purchased in bulk. One thing that is annoying is stuff like burger buns is usually packaged per dozen but how many people eat that much burgers a week? We typically freeze those as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #25
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Why can’t I get half a loaf of bread? Or half a baguette? Who ever uses all the parsley that comes in a bunch?
Mediterranean Parsley salad? You should be eating more greens anyway haha.

https://ethnicspoon.com/mediterranean-parsley-salad/
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
CBC just did a poll that shows no one really wants to pay to fight climate change, something like 50% of respondents wouldn't pay more than $100 in extra taxes to do so.

Just like the folks in BC who are complaining about high gas prices, it seems a good portion of people simply want to discuss how bad things are and how we should do something, until it comes to opening their wallets.

In the case of food waste and banning plastic straws, guess which should be the priority and which will actually be addressed because it costs less or is easier to do?
To me that was a fairly loaded question though, and there are a lot of factors. Would you like to pay more tax, for basically any reason?

But if you were running a shop and started charging extra for a straw (seemed topical), people might opt more regularly to drink from the cup normally.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people learned a few kitchen skills there would be less waste. I get the feeling people don't know what to do with an apple besides eat it raw. If they look like they're getting a bit ripe, make apple sauce or apple crisp or dehydrate them and use them in oatmeal. If you bought a bunch of fruit with no reasonable way of finished it, just freeze them. Frozen grapes, raspberries, blueberries, etc. are awesome. You can freeze virtually anything. Just stock up on freezer bags and you're set.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

You don't even need to do that, just leave it on the counter and it's good as new after a few hours.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #29
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I fail to see how these two things are in opposition to one another.
I think what he is saying is that from a "what is a problem that Canada faces" perspective, one is a real problem, while the other is not. From anecdotal observations, people that seem to be in support of eliminating plastic straws and other single use plastics, are the people that believe that Canada doing so will help reduce the amount of plastic in the ocean, or the sea life that is endangered due to Canada's plastic use. It's not. Up to 95% of all plastic found in the world's oceans come from just 10 source rivers, all located in the developing world (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b02368). From the Financial Post:

Quote:
Canada on average, contributes less than 0.01 MT (millions of metric tonnes) of mismanaged plastic waste. In contrast, countries like Indonesia and the Philippines contribute 10.1 per cent and 5.9 per cent of the world’s mismanaged plastic, which is upwards of 300 times Canada’s contribution. China, the world’s largest plastics polluter, accounts for 27.7 per cent of the worlds mismanaged plastic. Canada, when compared to European countries like England, Spain, Italy, Portugal and France, actually contributes four times less in mismanaged plastic. The only European countries on par with Canada are the significantly smaller Sweden, Norway and Finland.
https://business.financialpost.com/o...arm-it-instead
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I think what he is saying is that from a "what is a problem that Canada faces" perspective, one is a real problem, while the other is not. From anecdotal observations, people that seem to be in support of eliminating plastic straws and other single use plastics, are the people that believe that Canada doing so will help reduce the amount of plastic in the ocean, or the sea life that is endangered due to Canada's plastic use. It's not. Up to 95% of all plastic found in the world's oceans come from just 10 source rivers, all located in the developing world (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b02368). From the Financial Post:

https://business.financialpost.com/o...arm-it-instead
Okay sure, but do we not have the political and social will to tackle both issues?

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 06-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The unlikely, eccentric inventor turning inedible plant life into fuel

S51 13:31 Marshall Medoff unveils to "60 Minutes" his innovative method of turning plant life into fuel and other useful products.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes...ife-into-fuel/

60 minutes promotes biomass scam

http://energyskeptic.com/2019/60-min...m-on-2019-1-6/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #32
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If people learned a few kitchen skills there would be less waste. I get the feeling people don't know what to do with an apple besides eat it raw. If they look like they're getting a bit ripe, make apple sauce or apple crisp or dehydrate them and use them in oatmeal. If you bought a bunch of fruit with no reasonable way of finished it, just freeze them. Frozen grapes, raspberries, blueberries, etc. are awesome. You can freeze virtually anything. Just stock up on freezer bags and you're set.
Apples getting too ripe? Smoothies. You can even freeze your smoothie for later.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #33
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Okay sure, but do we not have the political and social will to tackle both issues?
Hard to say what political/social/environmental will we actually have as a nation. There have been a couple of posts in this thread to suggest that that will is not very high when it comes to Canadians paying more or changing their lifestyles. I think it is fair to say that our will is in finite amount. I would just rather that we exert it towards things that we as Canadians can actually improve.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #34
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Retailers need to offer more single-item purchases (ideally without the "didn't buy a bag" punitive cost).

I don't always need 10 goddamn pounds of potatoes when I want to make some latkes.
So, you buy a 10-lb bag of potatoes to save five cents on a plastic bag?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

A 10 lb bag of potatoes is $5.
A 5lb bag of potatoes is $4
Bulk potatoes are 1.20 per pound
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #36
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You don't even need to do that, just leave it on the counter and it's good as new after a few hours.
I find they still come out stale. The microwave instantly makes them seem as great as new though.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #37
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
A 10 lb bag of potatoes is $5.
A 5lb bag of potatoes is $4
Bulk potatoes are 1.20 per pound
Which means, we buy bulk because it's cheaper per unit; not because it's punitive for "didn't buy a bag".
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #38
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The report referenced in OP again and again confirms how fortunate we are here in Canada on pretty much every account of daily life. Food is wasted, because it is relatively inexpensive and because bulk purchases make it even more affordable. I've traveled around. Everywhere in civilized Europe the cost of normal living (gas, food, real estate, utilities) is significantly higher than what we have here (and US is even cheaper). In Switzerland, for example, there is no special recycling charges. They buy municipality-approved garbage bags of different sizes (small, medium, large, XL) and people pay for the garbage they produce. No bulk food. You buy one potato for 3 francs or one tomato for 5. Not a lot of waste there.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #40
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

Now, it has only been a couple of days since I went to the grocery store, but I am pretty sure that the produce bags are free.

That said, potatoes last a *long* time. I am almost positive by the time even a 10lb bag of potatoes gets to the point where they are really bad (I don't even think I have had a potato in our pantry long enough that it went bad) you could have used them up, without eating them 3 times a day.