Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #1401
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks. Sounds like Octopath is a great game. Apparently it's very popular and you can't find it anywhere. I'm leaving on vacation in a week so hopefully I can find a copy before then to make the plane rides go a bit faster.
Meelapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #1402
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Thanks. Sounds like Octopath is a great game. Apparently it's very popular and you can't find it anywhere. I'm leaving on vacation in a week so hopefully I can find a copy before then to make the plane rides go a bit faster.
I usually prefer hard copies but if you don’t mind digital it’s not a bad way to go. The game is only 3 gigs. It downloaded fully for me in about 20 minutes.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #1403
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ordered mine on Friday from The Source, 3 days I think.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #1404
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The Southcentre Mall and Westbrook Mall EB Games locations both show as having the game in stock. But it looks like the game is sold out across 85% of their stores in Canada, so call ahead. Best Buy and Walmart have nothing.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #1405
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for people that can't find it, but I'm so glad this game has exceeded sales expectations and is a big hit. Old school JRPG fans have come out in droves to show Square Enix that this type of game is still viable in the modern market.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #1406
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm interested in Octopath Traveler but is it a good option for a more casual Nintendo Switch player? I have Zelda, Mario, and Raving Raving Rabbids but haven't finished any of them. I do enjoy turn based RPGs with Valkyrie Chronicles and XCom games being my favourites. I'm not very good with open world games as I need tasks and specific things to do to progress the story.
Play Disgaea 5 for sure

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #1407
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Southcentre Mall and Westbrook Mall EB Games locations both show as having the game in stock. But it looks like the game is sold out across 85% of their stores in Canada, so call ahead. Best Buy and Walmart have nothing.
Yeah, I called and they mentioned that their stock only gets updated on their website every Monday. They mentioned that since their first shipment they haven't received anything.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #1408
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol. That's some quality inventory management!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #1409
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

UPDATE: BestBuy happened to have some stock this morning and I ordered one. Looks like I might be set for my vacation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 AM   #1410
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a million reviews of this game out now on youtube but this one that Beat em Ups did sums up how I feel, giddyness and all:

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #1411
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks a lot better than the first round.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #1412
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Looks a lot better than the first round.
That looks pretty neat actually. I assume it would be compatible with Mario Kart since the motorcycle one is already.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #1413
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Separate Switch AC adapter on sale:

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-HACAA...tch+ac+adapter
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #1414
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ordered!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #1415
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

same, thanks $26 can't go wrong
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #1416
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mario Party’s release date for the switch is Oct 5th. Can’t wait.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #1417
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

After 20+ hours with the game, I'm ready to present my Octopath Traveler tiers (at least with the character's first jobs, haven't unlocked additional jobs yet)

A Tier

Olberic - enormous damage dealer, multiple weapons, can self-buff. The strongest physical attacker in the game

Cyrus - huge mob-wide damage potential, can hit multiple elemental weaknesses, strong passive abilities to help with exploring

B Tier

Alfyn - good single character healing, lots of HP, apothecary mixes can get you out of difficult situations. Bonus points for being able to poison bosses.

Tressa - great support abilities, nice to have mob-wide wind damage, and multiple weapons. Great at finding/collecting money when you need extra cash

H'aanit - Strong, multiple weapons. Great ability to capture and call creatures opens up lots of strategic options

C Tier

Therion - weak attacker and not a lot of useful abilities. Gets out of the lower tiers by having multiple weapons and 'Steal' ability.

D Tier

Ophilia - party-wide healing and... that's it. Very weak physical attacks, only does light-based magic (great if enemies are weak to it, but not many are), and not much else for useful abilities

Primrose - only one weak attack type, only one elemental type (the rare-ish dark weakness), and mild buff abilities. 'Bewildering Grace' is the lone bright spot, but that brings as much risk as reward. Hard to find a reason to ever bring her into the party
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #1418
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For as slow as Nintendo's 2018 has seemed, Octopath is the console's fifth million seller released this year.

Also, Smash direct on Wednesday.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #1419
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
After 20+ hours with the game, I'm ready to present my Octopath Traveler tiers (at least with the character's first jobs, haven't unlocked additional jobs yet)

A Tier

Olberic - enormous damage dealer, multiple weapons, can self-buff. The strongest physical attacker in the game

Cyrus - huge mob-wide damage potential, can hit multiple elemental weaknesses, strong passive abilities to help with exploring

B Tier

Alfyn - good single character healing, lots of HP, apothecary mixes can get you out of difficult situations. Bonus points for being able to poison bosses.

Tressa - great support abilities, nice to have mob-wide wind damage, and multiple weapons. Great at finding/collecting money when you need extra cash

H'aanit - Strong, multiple weapons. Great ability to capture and call creatures opens up lots of strategic options

C Tier

Therion - weak attacker and not a lot of useful abilities. Gets out of the lower tiers by having multiple weapons and 'Steal' ability.

D Tier

Ophilia - party-wide healing and... that's it. Very weak physical attacks, only does light-based magic (great if enemies are weak to it, but not many are), and not much else for useful abilities

Primrose - only one weak attack type, only one elemental type (the rare-ish dark weakness), and mild buff abilities. 'Bewildering Grace' is the lone bright spot, but that brings as much risk as reward. Hard to find a reason to ever bring her into the party
Dude, you gotta find some shrines. Once you can have all 8 jobs in your party at once you become a killing machine.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #1420
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Dude, you gotta find some shrines. Once you can have all 8 jobs in your party at once you become a killing machine.
Ugh thank you for this post. I thought it was a story related thing not stuff you just found in the world.

Needless to say everyone has secondary classes now and I’m really hummin’ along.