Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2022, 02:41 PM   #1721
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

After running the same trails for almost a year I finally achieved my goal of a sub 5 min per km pace. 7km in 34mins and 54s. Yay me!!!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 03:09 PM   #1722
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
After running the same trails for almost a year I finally achieved my goal of a sub 5 min per km pace. 7km in 34mins and 54s. Yay me!!!
Annnd there goes your knees.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:49 AM   #1723
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Finally got some answers to a medical issue I've been having. Luckily the very bad things (aka cancer) were ruled out months ago which is great, but there were 2 options left. One of these options would have been lifestyle altering, but today confirmed I only need a minor surgery and everything's gonna be tip top. Surgery date was also substantially sooner than I expected.
Little follow up here, surgery date is just around the corner and I was a little shocked at the recovery time of 4-6 weeks. It's all still a good thing but man that was a shocker for sure.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #1724
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I just got my Steam Deck, and had an awesome 2nd Fathers day weekend.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #1725
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

My almost 3 year old gets me a glass of water when i'm tired after a long day at work layed out on the Couch and asks "Feeling bedder daddy?" Yeah? Wanna go play cars now? lol

Amazing to see how a kid that age can be empathetic and want you to feel better.. I mean, it's so he has someone to play with but i'll take it.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #1726
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drove out to Fairmont Hot Springs yesterday for a golf trip and there are plenty of double lane, winding roads where the limits are 70-90 KMH and few opportunities to pass. I was delighted to see that when someone signals their intent to overtake, people would move to the shoulder at least part way to help make passing safer and quicker. What’s more, there were times when people were going under the limit for whatever reason, and they would also move to the shoulder when possible to let faster traffic pass them.

What a refreshing change from the usual behaviour we encounter in Alberta.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #1727
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I drove out to Fairmont Hot Springs yesterday for a golf trip and there are plenty of double lane, winding roads where the limits are 70-90 KMH and few opportunities to pass. I was delighted to see that when someone signals their intent to overtake, people would move to the shoulder at least part way to help make passing safer and quicker. What’s more, there were times when people were going under the limit for whatever reason, and they would also move to the shoulder when possible to let faster traffic pass them.

You musta popped over to some alternate universe for a bit.
Almost 100% of the time those slow movers miraculously discover the gas pedal during passing lanes only to lose it again at the end of said lane.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:34 PM   #1728
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

There is a lot of cyclist traffic on 93, I avoid pulling onto the shoulder on all but the straightest sections with ample sight lines. It is a friendly thing to do until you run up on a pack of bikes three wide.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #1729
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the people who've never driven through those places that are the ones puttering along slower than every one else. I don't blame them because the scenery is quite a distraction (as long as its within a few kms below the limit at the slowest). So they're likely oblivious to the locals who are trying to get to their invermere cabins in 2.5 hours. Thankfully, I have noticed they are accommodating when you're trying to get around them. I don't get mad at slow goers on the single lane highways out there cause every kind of traveller is going to be sharing those and its not their fault that there aren't more lanes to accommodate people with different timelines. As long as they see you and anticipate you're going to go around. If they're speeding up and slowing down and making it difficult to do so then that's not cool, but I at least down encounter too many of those sort.

I hope eventually we expand the 93 to radium as well as through to jasper. The stretch heading north can feel treacherous in the winter with how narrow it is and all the busses and campers that you need to pass along the way. It's rarely in ideal condition in the back half of winter.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #1730
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My surgery went well and I'm at home recovering! I've been managing just fine on minimal pain meds (extra strength tylenol) but mobility is definetly an issue.

If you're limited to 10lbs of lifting, short and slow walks (20 minutes tops) and not much of a book reader, what do you do to keep yourself occupied?

Currently it's video games and TV, maybe in a few weeks I can start shore fishing again. Along with simple household stuff like laundry and cooking, that's about all I've got going on these days and I'm bored stiff.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #1731
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Weird. I fataing hate that. Moving to the shoulder is stupid, dangerous and kicks rocks up at the vehicles behind. It's not even helpful. Just stay in your lane and I'll take care of the passing. I can't stand people who do that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #1732
Terradude
Draft Pick

I have to agree with Sliver, moving to the shoulder is stupid and can be very dangerous to bike riders, which there are many. Slow down, put on your adaptive cruise and enjoy the ride. It’s about an hour on the 93 from the TC to Radium. The scenery is amazing…truly one of the more spectacular drives in the world.

I’ve had a place in Invermere for over 10 years. The 93 can seem like a racetrack some times and I typically like to make time but this highway isn’t where you should do it. I’ve seen deers hit, I know of people who hit a wolf and I saw a bear hit by the vehicle in front of me. It’s a National park for a reason. Enjoy it.
Terradude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terradude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #1733
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terradude View Post
I have to agree with Sliver, moving to the shoulder is stupid and can be very dangerous to bike riders, which there are many. Slow down, put on your adaptive cruise and enjoy the ride. It’s about an hour on the 93 from the TC to Radium. The scenery is amazing…truly one of the more spectacular drives in the world.

I’ve had a place in Invermere for over 10 years. The 93 can seem like a racetrack some times and I typically like to make time but this highway isn’t where you should do it. I’ve seen deers hit, I know of people who hit a wolf and I saw a bear hit by the vehicle in front of me. It’s a National park for a reason. Enjoy it.
This guy gets it.

The perks of the drive itself heavily outweigh cutting 15-20 minutes off your drive.

If it is worth it to you, I'd like to know what amazing, incredible things you do with that 15 minutes you gained on the other end. I'm willing to bet nothing as cool as the views on that drive.

Animals don't understand what a road is. Why take the chance by pushing it on that winding highway. Just sit back and be in the present.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #1734
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

To be clear on my perspective, I think everyone should be driving 10 over on that road and if you're going slow I will pass you. Just don't need you pull shenanigans and veering into the rocky shoulder to accommodate me since it helps exactly zero, anyway. It's not like it'll influence when I pass...if you're struggling along in the shoulder I'm still not going to overtake you until it's safe from oncoming traffic, so all you've accomplished is staring too long at me in your rearview, shot a bunch of rocks at my windshield, and put cyclists at risk.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #1735
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Moving onto the shoulder is dangerous.

But I do like to make it easier for faster cars to pass. So I prefer to move to the left into the oncoming traffic lane. Allows the people passing me to not even have to change lanes. Talk about courteous. And no worrying about cyclists or rocks on the shoulder.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #1736
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

As mentioned, moving to the shoulder to let someone pass is not safe because you could easily find yourself in a situation where there’s someone pulled over that you didn’t previously see and now you have no place to go because you’re boxed in especially on a road like highway 93.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 PM   #1737
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I do 8kms in about an hour. That's more kilometres and therefor objectively better. But nice work though!

edit: That is actually awesome, though.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-25-2022 at 09:36 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #1738
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m that guy in the slow motorhome and loving every minute of it. For the sake of fuel efficiency I try to maintain consistent rpms which means uphill or down my speed will range from 65 kph to 85. My gear grinder is the two strugglers who follow too close so the guy who is willing to pass has to start 4 car lengths back to pass the whole train.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 08:36 PM   #1739
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Slow down,
No.
Quote:
put on your adaptive cruise
I don't have adaptive cruise.

Quote:
and enjoy the ride. It’s about an hour on the 93 from the TC to Radium. The scenery is amazing…truly one of the more spectacular drives in the world.
What do you think I'm trying to do?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #1740
Delgar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

30 years playing poker. Wake up this morning, its a day off. Log into Poker Stars, because hey, day off!

Got my first ever Royal Flush. Killed in the tournament cards were so amazing.

Now time to get ready for the elbow river.
Delgar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delgar For This Useful Post: