Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #3501
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the perception that Serena gets more flack is due to her position as a main ambassador of the sport, probable GOAT standing, and the stage on which she chose to have her outbursts. Kyrgios will never be in that kind of position for us to see what the fallout would be for a male player.

we'd only really have a sexism/racism comparable if Federer reaches the US Open final next month, smashes a bunch of racquets, forfeits points and games for code violations, and calls the umpire a "f***in' tool bro" on his way out.

...actually that sounds kind of awesome.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #3502
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I mean, sure. If you want to pretend that Kyrgios doesn't get trashed all the time for his behaviour. Or fined (at least 11 such fines in his career) suspensions (at least one served, one suspended) or defaulted (at least once).

If you want to play up a double standard, Kyrgios is not the hill you want to die on.
It certainly isn't the right battle to pick. You're right, the guy takes as much heat as anyone has on tour and has certainly paid for his antics. The thing is Kyrgios still doesn't cross that line Serena did, and for some reason there are people just can't come to terms with this.

He should absolutely be fined, suspended for the spitting and repetitive jabs and just classless tact, however, I don't think this was worthy of a default. Kyrgios never really caused play to be halted or truly disrupted the actual play of the match.

Serena didn't just call the official a joke and cause a scene, she threatened to ruin his career and did so in a fashion that actually caused the match to be ceased several times. Lost on all of this, you're talking about a grand slam final on national television with her opponent being hampered by the sideshow vs. a basically run of the mill match last night.

Neither scenario is excusable, I just don't see this as some call to arms scenario for inequality that some seem to be championing here. These are two very different cases.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #3503
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It certainly isn't the right battle to pick. You're right, the guy takes as much heat as anyone has on tour and has certainly paid for his antics. The thing is Kyrgios still doesn't cross that line Serena did, and for some reason there are people just can't come to terms with this.

He should absolutely be fined, suspended for the spitting and repetitive jabs and just classless tact, however, I don't think this was worthy of a default. Kyrgios never really caused play to be halted or truly disrupted the actual play of the match.

Serena didn't just call the official a joke and cause a scene, she threatened to ruin his career and did so in a fashion that actually caused the match to be ceased several times. Lost on all of this, you're talking about a grand slam final on national television with her opponent being hampered by the sideshow vs. a basically run of the mill match last night.

Neither scenario is excusable, I just don't see this as some call to arms scenario for inequality that some seem to be championing here. These are two very different cases.
The dbag has never paid. The ATP want to keep him around as the clown show draws viewers. I watched half the match and this is what this ahole did last night.

- dropped 15+ F bombs
- smashed a water bottle on the side of the umpire's stand. Pretty sure it damaged the electronic sign
- argued with 3 spectators in the crowd
- made a comment to the ump after EVERY point in the 3rd set.
- was refused a bathroom break and still left the court
- smashed 2 racquets in the hallway. Should have cost him a game but the ump had no balls
- sat on the return line with a racquet with the grip dangling all the way to the floor and said he was ready to play
- claims he is ready and can return a serve with the handle part of the racquet
- didn't use the bathroom when he left for a bathroom break which is a violation
- sat in his chair and yelled at the top of his lungs "you are the effing worst umpire on tour!" and screamed some other crap
- gave up on every single point the last 4 games. didn't even try.
- called the Irish umpire a Potato
- didn't shake the hand of the umpire at the end, called him an effing tool and spat in his direction.

Oh look. The no balls ATP fined him $113k. Like that would do anything. Just kick him off the effing tour. He doesn't even want to play tennis.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 08-15-2019 at 02:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #3504
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 points of unsportsmanlike conduct should seriously warrant more than such a minimal fine. Embarrassing for Tennis.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #3505
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upset alert as Andrey Rublev takes the opening set over Fed in Cincy 6-3
Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #3506
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy cow. Did Rublev ever redline that 1st set or what.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #3507
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rublev can still barely even do a thing wrong.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #3508
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Match starting to stabilize for Fed now.

Break incoming??
Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #3509
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rublev with a drop shot volley winner at the net?? WTF?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #3510
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rublev up a break in set 2. Playing out of his mind.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #3511
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Match starting to stabilize for Fed now.

Break incoming??
And Rublev breaks Fed! Unbelievable!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #3512
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger on absolute life support now. 5-3 Rublev 2nd set.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #3513
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright Rogie, ball's on Rublev's racket!

It's showtime!

Do it!

Last edited by Karl; 08-15-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #3514
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rublev won't be allowed in Switzerland, took out Wawrinka yesterday and Fed today.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #3515
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow!

Rublev just never stopped redlining today. Good for him.

But can he keep this up in his next matches this tournament? I highly doubt it.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #3516
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Organizers on suicide watch as this now has the look of a 500 event.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #3517
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, in terms of monetary penalties, they definitely escalated this time. Kyrgios gets $113,000 in fines for last night. This guy's follow-up tweet says they are still considering further discipline.

https://twitter.com/russellcfuller/s...47617943187456
Old 08-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #3518
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The dbag has never paid. The ATP want to keep him around as the clown show draws viewers. I watched half the match and this is what this ahole did last night.

- dropped 15+ F bombs
- smashed a water bottle on the side of the umpire's stand. Pretty sure it damaged the electronic sign
- argued with 3 spectators in the crowd
- made a comment to the ump after EVERY point in the 3rd set.
- was refused a bathroom break and still left the court
- smashed 2 racquets in the hallway. Should have cost him a game but the ump had no balls
- sat on the return line with a racquet with the grip dangling all the way to the floor and said he was ready to play
- claims he is ready and can return a serve with the handle part of the racquet
- didn't use the bathroom when he left for a bathroom break which is a violation
- sat in his chair and yelled at the top of his lungs "you are the effing worst umpire on tour!" and screamed some other crap
- gave up on every single point the last 4 games. didn't even try.
- called the Irish umpire a Potato
- didn't shake the hand of the umpire at the end, called him an effing tool and spat in his direction.

Oh look. The no balls ATP fined him $113k. Like that would do anything. Just kick him off the effing tour. He doesn't even want to play tennis.

He hasn't paid, yet he's been suspended by the ATP for previous infractions, has been fined numerous times and has just got hit with $113k in fines for this situation alone? He has and is getting what he deserves, make no mistake about that.

What exactly is the "no balls" ATP you speak of supposed to do beyond this?

I commend them for significantly denting his pocketbook, which is one thing he certainly cares about....$113k is insanely steep in terms of a fine in pro sports, let alone the ATP. Based on other players melting down, there is no precedent to suspend him for this latest debacle. He's not the first player to have multiple obscenity, ball and racquet violations in a match and he won't be the last.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #3519
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Well, in terms of monetary penalties, they definitely escalated this time. Kyrgios gets $113,000 in fines for last night. This guy's follow-up tweet says they are still considering further discipline.

https://twitter.com/russellcfuller/s...47617943187456
The spitting is the only thing I could see them considering now and really the only thing that is separating this from any other player meltdown. As shameful as it is, I doubt it's enough to get him suspended, especially with a major coming up.

I would suspect they certainly have his attention though and are waiting to see how he responds to the fines. If he seems unapologetic or stirs the pot further, I could see them slapping a ban on him for a few weeks but it is probably quite unlikely we hear much from him now after having his pocket emptied like that.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 08-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #3520
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

That French key Enzo is having a terrific week, he just Rubleved Brayden Schnur out of the Odlum Brown tourney in Vancouver in straight sets 7-6 6-4
Closed Thread