Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #2461
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nadal is on Fire now.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #2462
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

92 and 2. That is nutty.
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #2463
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
92 and 2. That is nutty.
One game away from 93 and 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #2464
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nadal has more French Open titles than Borg and Laver have grand slams titles. That's also nuts. Congrats Rafa!
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #2465
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

12 titles at one Grand slam might just be the most unbreakable record in all of tennis. For someone like Felix to tie it he would need to win every French Open from 2020-2031. Congratulations to Nadal but I feel bad for Thiem, talk about everything going against you, lessor players would have crumbled. I hope he eventually wins a Grand Slam he is certainly deserving of one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #2466
spiteface
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

all the djok and fed fans that were cheering for thiem can
Old 06-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #2467
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nadal with two historic achievements: first to twelve wins at a single major, and first person to win a major after having to play only three matches.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #2468
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Nadal with two historic achievements: first to twelve wins at a single major, and first person to win a major after having to play only three matches.
I hope Nadal gets the easiest Wimbledon draw just to see this place explode.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #2469
spiteface
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
their heads will explode on their own by just being fans of you know who
Old 06-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #2470
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Rafa, greatest clay player ever. No shot you could ever consider him better than Novak or Roger, but the greatest ever on the lesser surface still means something I guess.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #2471
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Congrats to Rafa, greatest clay player ever. No shot you could ever consider him better than Novak or Roger, but the greatest ever on the lesser surface still means something I guess.
I think you should wait until all 3 retire before we can have a true GOAT discussion, BUT, having said that I don't see how you could put Novak over Rafa at this point in their careers. Nadal has more Grand Slam titles, more ATP 1000 titles, more total titles, and the most unbreakable record in all of tennis. Novak has the nole slam and more weeks at #1. Also their H2H is very close at 26-28.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #2472
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I know you're lashing out because some of the people here who dislike Rafa give you a hard time. but you're overall a positive contributor to this thread and it would be lame if you got sucked into spending your time trash talking. you post all season long even when Rafa's not winning, and you like to actually discuss other players and even WTA sometimes. you're not for example a spiteface that just shows up for one day every year to celebrate another Roland Garros victory, then disappears. don't be a spiteface.

Rafa's the 2nd most most popular tennis player in history, but just maybe not here in this forum. that's something you'll have to deal with until the Big 3 pack it in, so next time you get pissed that someone's crapping on your idol, just ask yourself what Rafa himself would do...stay respectful, stay humble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #2473
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Novak Djokovic hadn't lost a single Grand Slam match in almost a year, was looking unstoppable on his way to another Nole slam. Unfortunately for him, forces beyond his control were working behind the scenes, a force even greater than he was about to take him down.......

https://twitter.com/user/status/1137005727548149760
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #2474
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't. Nobody should be getting that kind of treatment. It's excruciatingly bad for tennis and that Nadal draw should be considered one of the biggest farces in tennis history. All the other top seeds had to at least battle legitimate tour level players. Rafa literally got to go beat down challenger tour level (or worse) players in the first two rounds. To mentally have zero worry about your opponent for the first two matches of a major event because they are so woefully below your skill level is just not fair to the rest of the field.

With that said, I really don't think it would have mattered given how unbeatable Nadal's game is on the Roland Garros clay. 12 Majors in a career is something special and for him to win that many at one event is just unbelievable. For me, he really needs to win another grass or hard court major or two if he's going to legitimately challenge Federer or Novak for the greatest ever claim when it's all said and done. He's definitely not the same player he was on Grass or hard court anymore, but he should still challenge at those events for a few years if he can stay healthy that long.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-10-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #2475
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you should wait until all 3 retire before we can have a true GOAT discussion, BUT, having said that I don't see how you could put Novak over Rafa at this point in their careers. Nadal has more Grand Slam titles, more ATP 1000 titles, more total titles, and the most unbreakable record in all of tennis. Novak has the nole slam and more weeks at #1. Also their H2H is very close at 26-28.
To me here is the reason you can't have Nadal in the top two: there's a legit claim both Roger and Novak are in the top five ever on clay. Nadal is maybe in the top ten ever on hard/grass, but not even worth discussing for top five. That he's so far ahead of everyone else on clay is the only reason it's a discussion. Also Novak's peak was far greater than Nadal's. Nadal was always beatable outside clay even at his peak. Novak and Roger? Not so much.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #2476
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
To me here is the reason you can't have Nadal in the top two: there's a legit claim both Roger and Novak are in the top five ever on clay. Nadal is maybe in the top ten ever on hard/grass, but not even worth discussing for top five. That he's so far ahead of everyone else on clay is the only reason it's a discussion. Also Novak's peak was far greater than Nadal's. Nadal was always beatable outside clay even at his peak. Novak and Roger? Not so much.
It's so hard to rank Roger and Novak on clay IMO. They each so far have one French Open BUT they were playing the same time as the clay GOAT which hurts their number of titles won. Borg is clearly #2 clay court player but after that we got Lendl, Wilander and Kuerten with 3 french opens each. Had Nadal not played tennis, you could make a case that Roger and Novak would each have 5 RG titles so do you put them ahead of the likes of Lendl, Wilander and Kuerten? Also what about Stanimal he also has a title and another finals apperance. Novak beat Nadal at the French which means a lot, but he lost that finals to Stanimal. To me they are top 10 for sure maybe top 5. I also probably put Roger slightly ahead of Novak on clay.

On the flip side, Nadal has had to play in an era with the Wimbledon and Australian Open GOATS. If Roger never played tennis, you could make an argument that Nadal would have 4 Wimbledon titles which would be 4th most all time. As well, in Australia he lost to Novak in 2 finals and some guy named Roger in the other so he could have multiple titles there as well. He's played in 5 Australian Open finals (1 title), 5 Wimbledon finals (2 titles) and 4 US Open Finals (3 titles). It's not like he is regularly getting knocked out in the first week, he is always going deep in all Grand Slams, and who knows I think he could win another US Open/Wimbledon/Australian Open if things go his way.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #2477
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of rain in Europe today which means a triple-header of Canadian action in Stuttgart on Tuesday. Only bummer is none of the matches are being televised as far as I can tell (streaming available via tennis tv).
Old 06-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #2478
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Novak Djokovic hadn't lost a single Grand Slam match in almost a year, was looking unstoppable on his way to another Nole slam. Unfortunately for him, forces beyond his control were working behind the scenes, a force even greater than he was about to take him down.......
gross, didn't McDavid do this last year to Felix and Denis at Rogers Cup? rub his Oiler loser stink on them and they both went out early?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #2479
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger would have five more majors if he were playing literally anyone other than Nada in the finals he's made it to or the semis in 2005. 05/06/07/08 is Roger's peak, and in 2011 he dropped exactly one set - to Novak Djokovic - en route to the final. In other words, he beat the only other person who could have beaten him.

You could argue that it'd be six including this year, but it's impossible to say whether Thiem would have beaten him given how good Thiem is right now on clay, so we'll stick with 5, for a total of 25.

If Rafa never had to face Roger, he'd have 21. Maybe. Assuming he would beat anyone he would've had to play instead of Roger.

It seems to me that Roger is clearly the best hard court and grass player ever. He's also the second best clay player ever. Rafa is clearly the best clay player ever, but is not the second best ever on grass or hard surfaces. So there's just no comparison as to who is the best all around. And this assumes that all surfaces are equal, where most would say that clay is the lesser surface of the three.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #2480
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
gross, didn't McDavid do this last year to Felix and Denis at Rogers Cup? rub his Oiler loser stink on them and they both went out early?
You are correct sir.
Closed Thread