Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #281
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Bo was right. The cheaters were fined $60k and had $26K deducted off salary cap for various roster violations.

Cheating, and still only 1-5.
What kind of sport lets teams circumvent the cap to the point they have two houses housing an entire second roster of players that aren't signed but being paid under the table? That fine is a slap on the wrist and as much as I love the league I have to acknowledge it's a semi-professional league as real professional leagues don't operate like this. It's the KHL of football.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #282
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently, this was the maximum fine allowed.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #283
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought I read somewhere the fine is $1 for every $1 over the cap up to 100k, then $2 for every $1 from 100k to 300k plus a first round pick, then $3 for every $1 above 300k plus 2 first round picks. It shouldn't be hard to add up all the extra money Sask paid players over and above their legal roster.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #284
six pack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The reality is that I'm sure most teams in the CFL do this. Montreal had been rumored to be doing this for a while. Calgary has been known to play funny with Bo's contact. The league is just a b grade league that needs the NFL to take over

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #285
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by six pack View Post
The reality is that I'm sure most teams in the CFL do this. Montreal had been rumored to be doing this for a while. Calgary has been known to play funny with Bo's contact. The league is just a b grade league that needs the NFL to take over

huh??? and you know this how??
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #286
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Please no.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 12:29 AM   #287
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary has not been known to play funny with Bo's contract. This is a bullspit rumor created by the Rider's fan base and there's no truth to it at all, the contract was vetted by the CFL.

On top of that we interviewed Bo on our podcast, and talked to him in 2014 and he talked about his desire to stay in Calgary , how much he loves this city, and has a starting role that can build his credibility for a future opportunities, he's met his girlfriend here.

Beyond the fact, the Riders were stupid enough to be rolling these players out in practice and they got caught before Bo even talked about it.

(BTW beyond Bo, we've had pretty much all of the current and former executives and a lot of the players on our podcast, so if you're questioning the credibility of what I'm talking about I invite you to check out our pod cast and its archives on my site at CFLHorsemen.ca)

Unless you have proof of Bo's contract being shady beyond the fact that he signed for $300,000 + a bit (Beyond the fact that Bo was still a relatively young and new number one) then please present it.

Its a garbage rumor put out there by a fan base that makes up things about other teams to make themselves feel better, I'll remind you that they defended players beating up a kid in a bar by accusing the victim to be a drug dealer. Defended Tillman during the investigation and up to his guilty plea for summary sexual assault on his baby sitter, and defended the Riders when they spend over the cap. So their credibility in terms of anything football related isn't there.

They've literally had three violations this year btw, the first was the tryout of Buddy Jackson that lasted three weeks, the second was the ratio during a game and this third one.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 AM   #288
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

And captain how do you feel about the stamps signing guys with criminal backgrounds?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #289
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And captain how do you feel about the stamps signing guys with criminal backgrounds?

What's that got to do with anything?

It's not illegal nor is it a teams responsibility to play morality cop for a previous transgression. Also do the Riders not have a history of doing that exact same thing?

Weird comparison and a very poor effort to deflect the topic in another direction which is that the Riders have been caught cheating yet again.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #290
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay Cecil since you opened the door, how about your team still allowing guys to play when they've been charged with assault? Huf suspended Quincy Butler a week after he was charged with assault, yet the Riders allowed 3 players to continue playing when charged with the same offense.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #291
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, bud, but that's the weakest argument ever. You can do better than that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #292
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
What do you mean, like under investigation, or have paid their debt been able to secure their paperwork to play here?

Or do you mean people under criminal investigation like the Riders do?

I'm confused.

The two posts above me sum things up pretty nicely.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #293
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

ooh wow touched a nerve did I?

It was a pretty simple question. Didn't think it'd generate such a defensive response. Captain attacked Rider fans about their positions when it came to players with criminal records. I asked about his.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-12-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #294
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No, Cecil, he accused Rider fans of lacking credibility. Your response was the defensive one, and was the same tactic Oilers fans use to try and distract the topic away from what your team and fans are doing.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #295
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha ha. The only thing that is truly "known" is that Riders fans "think" that Calgary is playing funny with Bo's contract because they can't fathom that a player would take less money to play in Calgary over taking a little more money to play in a dump like Regina.

It's "known" that the Stamps don't overpay for players as they were in the bidding for Dressler and a few other top UFA's this summer but their offer was always lower than the teams that ended up overpaying. Messam accepted a lesser contract because he wanted to play in a winning organization. An organization is typically better off with players that want to win over those looking for the payday which is why the Stamps have been so successful under Huff's management.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-12-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #296
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Apparently, this was the maximum fine allowed.
It's the maximum fine not the maximum penalty. The league could and should have taken away draft picks as well. I did read that the league is still investigating the Riders paying players that were not under contract so it's possible this isn't the end for them.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #297
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ridiculous defense from Rider fans on this highlights that in Saskatchewan Football is clearly more important than any kind of ethics or moral code. While these kinds of violations are not even in the same continent as the Penn State fiasco, it's that same kind of atmosphere of fandom where a team so wholly represents a community that ethically challenged management and players can thrive. I suggest Rider nation take a look in the mirror and ask itself if Eric Tillman's babysitter, Trevis Smith's sexual partners, and the rest of the CFL deserve better than willful ignorance and blind deference for their team from their fans.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 08-12-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #298
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Riders might get double tapped on this too. If they were paying these players and the league insists that they go against the Cap, at the end of the year reporting we could see the Riders significantly over which is where the SMS penalties can be properly applied.

so when Montreal went over by 115,000 a few years back they were fined $108,000 and lost their first round pick. the Riders were about 70k over the same years and I think they were hit with about a $80,000 cap.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #299
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

It was a pretty simple question. Didn't think it'd generate such a defensive response. Captain attacked Rider fans about their positions when it came to players with criminal records. I asked about his.
We're talking two different things. The Riders were paying players and paying their GM while under indictment and keeping them around. The stamps on the other hand were cutting those types of players loose.

Look at how quickly the Stamps completely distanced themselves from Reynolds

Old 08-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #300
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:

nm
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go stamps go , green goofs , pilsner , rider fans suck , riders suck