Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #2461
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree that if it was a clear broken leg no one would have cheered, but at the moment when he tried to take a step and couldn't and it was obvious he was injured the whole crowd roared to a crescendo. They literally cheered that he couldn't play anymore, it was gross. I'm cheering for the raptors, don't really like Durant all that much, hate the warriors, and when that happened even I went "really? That's brutal". This will get a lot of run in the states, and people will bring up that incident without bringing up the crowd chanting "KD" when he left which they should if they want to be fair to the crowd, but that incident is embarrassing. If you weren't in the crowd tonight though don't get defensive about it it wasn't you. Also the rest of Canada doesn't have a lot of time for the Toronto victim card so pulling it on a Calgary forum won't get you any sympathy. You wanna bask in the warm glow of the national us media attention you take the good with the bad especially when your fans act like dick heads.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 AM   #2462
Winnie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I agree that if it was a clear broken leg no one would have cheered, but at the moment when he tried to take a step and couldn't and it was obvious he was injured the whole crowd roared to a crescendo. They literally cheered that he couldn't play anymore, it was gross. I'm cheering for the raptors, don't really like Durant all that much, hate the warriors, and when that happened even I went "really? That's brutal". This will get a lot of run in the states, and people will bring up that incident without bringing up the crowd chanting "KD" when he left which they should if they want to be fair to the crowd, but that incident is embarrassing. If you weren't in the crowd tonight though don't get defensive about it it wasn't you. Also the rest of Canada doesn't have a lot of time for the Toronto victim card so pulling it on a Calgary forum won't get you any sympathy. You wanna bask in the warm glow of the national us media attention you take the good with the bad especially when your fans act like dick heads.
GS decided to turn his injury into a sideshow. They attempted to use it to their advantage and got burned. Nobody wants to see anyone hurt, but if you're going to play it up, then don't take the high road when it goes sideways. He obviously should not have been playing.

Last edited by Winnie; 06-11-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #2463
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
GS decided to turn his injury into a sideshow. They attempted to use it to their advantage and got burned. Nobody wants to see anyone hurt, but if you're going to play it up, then don't take the high road when it goes sideways. He obviously should not have been playing.
How were they turning it into a sideshow? He’s an exceptional talent who would be the best player in the series if fully healthy. Hoping he’d be available is what they should hope for. We can speculate all we want but they owed no one a full disclosure of his health. If that rattled the Raps then that’s on them.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #2464
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Anyone cheering for the Raps was happy to see Durant leave the game. The guy was hitting everything.

Yeah we can all pull out the holier than thou takes but I guarantee the majority of Raptor fans were happy to see him leave the game.

Obviously you don't want a serious injury and at the time it didn't look like it was serious. People were caught up in the game and wanted to win.

Anyways they've got 2 more chances but this team is from Toronto so likely a heartbreaking Game 7 loss is in the cards.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #2465
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My bet is it was a jerk reaction to cheer and kudos to the raps for tellin' the fans to shut it. Think they learned a lesson too

https://twitter.com/user/status/1138268102007934977
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #2466
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was also the awkwardness of the foul that was given, so there were cheers for that too.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #2467
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

When your own players tell you to shut up there are no excuses as a fan in that building. I don’t think I ever seen a team give their own fans ####.

If Durant wants the Max I still think the knicks and warriors will give it to him so I don’t think he has a financial loss. His drive will never be the same but his 17 foot game should be okay where he is unstoppable so I think is drop off is closer to borderline all star on the downside of this injury.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #2468
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
When your own players tell you to shut up there are no excuses as a fan in that building. I don’t think I ever seen a team give their own fans ####.

If Durant wants the Max I still think the knicks and warriors will give it to him so I don’t think he has a financial loss. His drive will never be the same but his 17 foot game should be okay where he is unstoppable so I think is drop off is closer to borderline all star on the downside of this injury.
The last time I can remember was Edwin Encarnacion and other Blue Jays trying to get people to calm down and stop throwing #### on the field against the Rangers in 2015.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #2469
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Fans get emotional. They cheer momentarily when they realize their chance of winning just increased. They also corrected themselves seconds later. It was an emotional mistake, it happens. I really don't think it's a big deal.

My sympathy for Durant is pretty limited. I feel bad for the guy that he has to go through a crappy rehab, but the risks were well known. He and GS decided to play him knowing that a partial tear could pop with too much pressure. That's exactly what happened. I feel worse for OG, he got dealt a way unluckier hand.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #2470
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Fans get emotional. They cheer momentarily when they realize their chance of winning just increased. They also corrected themselves seconds later. It was an emotional mistake, it happens. I really don't think it's a big deal.

My sympathy for Durant is pretty limited. I feel bad for the guy that he has to go through a crappy rehab, but the risks were well known. He and GS decided to play him knowing that a partial tear could pop with too much pressure. That's exactly what happened. I feel worse for OG, he got dealt a way unluckier hand.

BS. Brutal behavior. Proper fans know to keep mouth shut when player goes down no matter how severe.

Your sympathy is limited? Come on. Guy risks his next season to come out and play? Torn Achilles? Tool comment by you.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #2471
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
BS. Brutal behavior. Proper fans know to keep mouth shut when player goes down no matter how severe.

Your sympathy is limited? Come on. Guy risks his next season to come out and play? Torn Achilles? Tool comment by you.
I agree with you that the excuses for the fans initial reaction is BS, and the fans knew they were intentionally being dicks to him for reaggravating his injury. It's a terrible look, and shouldn't be condoned.

But Durrant did know the risks, he gambled and lost. He really shouldn't have been playing if he wasn't healthy enough to make it through the game without further damage.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #2472
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post

I definitely don't condone the behaviour. I'm just saying fans were emotional, made a mistake, and quickly corrected it. Not a huge deal.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #2473
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I agree with you that the excuses for the fans initial reaction is BS, and the fans knew they were intentionally being dicks to him for reaggravating his injury. It's a terrible look, and shouldn't be condoned.

But Durrant did know the risks, he gambled and lost. He really shouldn't have been playing if he wasn't healthy enough to make it through the game without further damage.
Isn’t it courageous? He waited until his team had its back against the wall and then went for it. I appreciate the athlete who plays through pain and risks injury and personal wealth for the team. That is something that should be celebrated in Athletes.

I’m interested in the decision to let him play. Did Durant have all the available information to make that decision. Did the Warriors not care about the future because he was likely leaving in free agency so we’re focused on short term benefits? Does this is injury increase the likelihood he resigns with Golden state because they can give him the extra year now?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #2474
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Isn’t it courageous? He waited until his team had its back against the wall and then went for it. I appreciate the athlete who plays through pain and risks injury and personal wealth for the team. That is something that should be celebrated in Athletes?
Sure, it's a sign that he's a committed athlete who wants to win so bad that he's willing to take those risks. Nothing wrong with that from a fan perspective. We want to see him out there playing. But if what's expected to happen ends up happening, then it's fair for one to not be as sympathetic to him predictably making the injury worse, because it's a predictable rather than unexpected result.

It's sucks that it happened and wish him the best in recovery, but it's not surprising considering what many speculated was his injury in the first place, and why Warriors held off from playing him until they were up against the ropes.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #2475
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Going back to the arena for the last game, Players being fired up about TO reaction to Durant going down.

Tough game 6 for the Raps, the saving grace is that GS is a pretty battered ball club.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #2476
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Why most people thought the Raptors lost: Bad final possession

Why I thought the Raptors lost: That timeout when Toronto finally pulled ahead and the building was going nuts

Why the Raptors actually lost: Golden State got the luck on their 3 point shots and Toronto didn't - 48% vs 25% from 3 point range

The 3 point numbers regress to the mean next game and the Raptors will win easily

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
The timeout timing was odd, until you saw the shot of Kawhi on the sidelines barely able to catch his breath. He had just scored 10 straight points and could barely stand, and Nurse clearly saw that. He was totally gassed.

The timeout disrupted the flow, but at the same time, the Raptors let 3 straight 3's go in from great passing plays while not scoring the other way. GS are a dynasty, and still remain the defending champions for a reason. They miss one of those shots, and the game is pretty much over. The vets from GS came through in the clutch.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #2477
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The timeout timing was odd, until you saw the shot of Kawhi on the sidelines barely able to catch his breath. He had just scored 10 straight points and could barely stand, and Nurse clearly saw that. He was totally gassed.

The timeout disrupted the flow, but at the same time, the Raptors let 3 straight 3's go in from great passing plays while not scoring the other way. GS are a dynasty, and still remain the defending champions for a reason. They miss one of those shots, and the game is pretty much over. The vets from GS came through in the clutch.
Clutch is the right word for it, they always had an answer. Their clock management was also great, they were able to work that clock down to their advantage so that the Raps has to rush their final possession.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #2478
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? They screwed up their final possession. The Raptors should have got it with under 10 left, not 15. Unfortunately Nurse decided to just let it run rather than calling a timeout to actually draw up a play. Hindsight's 20/20 and all that but it was pretty frustrating.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #2479
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Clutch is the right word for it, they always had an answer. Their clock management was also great, they were able to work that clock down to their advantage so that the Raps has to rush their final possession.
Yeah an over and back and offensive foul really showed their clutchness
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #2480
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stupid timeout gaffe was worse than the Seahawks not going beast mode in the SuperBowl. and i TOTALLY agree! Nurse is getting off pretty light on here. That was a total Gulutzan moment.

Quote:
Nurse was left to explain (he said he didn’t want to lose an expiring timeout) an all-time bonehead decision.

Seahawk fans now have company, but this was worse than Pete Carroll calling for a pass on the 1, because for Carroll’s decision to go south took a brilliant defensive play. Nurse? He literally gave the Warriors the one and only thing they needed.

“That timeout allowed us time to settle in,” Draymond Green said afterwards.

In the chart above, the Raptors had a 93.6% win probability around the moment of the timeout. By comparison, the Seahawks' win probability hovered around 65-70% prior to Malcolm Butler's interception.
https://sports.yahoo.com/read-and-re...115837324.html