Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #1881
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

In the most basic sense, the layoffs mean less production, which means less supply which means an inevitable increase in demand, which means with time the price will go up.

This is why there is always a cycle. People just lose sight of the long-term.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #1882
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I gotta think nat gas is in trouble on the price side. I mean honestly... it's like $1.60ish NYMEX and $1.40 or so AECO?

AB storage at 80+%........ in March........ still injecting. Has anyone on here ever seen storage literally filled? What happens? Wells just get backed out / shut in?

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until summer when supply becomes a huge issue on nat gas and prices collapse, then stocks follow and then buy?

I want to invest but I fear I missed the turn a bit on oil, and on gas I see a storm brewing, but at the end of the day who knows.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 03-07-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #1883
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
In the most basic sense, the layoffs mean less production, which means less supply which means an inevitable increase in demand, which means with time the price will go up.

I don't think it's so much people losing sight of the long term as much as tens of thousands of Calgarians having their lives torn apart in the short term.

It's easy to keep sight of the long term if you're working, it becomes much more difficult when no money's coming in, and so everyone starts looking for signs of recovery early on and just hoping they might be legit.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 AM   #1884
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

That's only half the equation, the other half is demand. Not saying it won't go up again, just saying it won't as a matter of fact go up.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #1885
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the rest of the week is interesting here. If oil can holds its gains through the week past the end of the meetings then I can see it being a slow recovery to hold around 40. But I just see it giving back most of the gains made yesterday over the course of the week.

I think there is one more drop before we see sustained recovery in the second half of this year.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #1886
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=8056-c3b9

So if Liberal GHG regulations cause a $36Bn project to disappear, at what point do Canadians stop acting like the world's environmental boy-scouts and start looking out for themselves?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #1887
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Projects should be subject to the regulations that exist at application day, not a moving target. This is getting ridiculous.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #1888
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

These muppets will continue to move the goal posts on regulations until we're all relying on that guaranteed income. LNG from BC is all but dead, and they have tin cup Christy and Justin to blame.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #1889
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Projects should be subject to the regulations that exist at application day, not a moving target. This is getting ridiculous.
Welcome to the Federal Liberal and Provincial NDP environmental policy THUNDERDOME!!!!! No reactionary environmental policies denied! Come one, come all!!! Deficit Spending! Solar Panels! WIIIIIIIIIND TURBINES! CAAAARBOOOOOOON TAXES! VAAAAAGUE GHG REDUCTION TARGETS!

FFS what a clown show our governments are right now.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #1890
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be good to have a social license for projects that have no economics. The current governments are nothing more than useful idiots for our competitors. It's amazing how well misinformation and scare tactics have torpedoed our competitiveness.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #1891
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bad news, but something that many on this board and other industry participants have been calling for a long time now. (Not specifically that Petronas would pull out, but that Canada would miss the boat on LNG because of all the delays / special interest groups). Its too bad too with the price of gas where it is.

Hopefully the projects slated for Oregon can still go ahead, sure it is tax revenue paid to a different government but it could help alleviate the supply/demand imbalance for CWSB gas.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #1892
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
It'll be good to have a social license for projects that have no economics. The current governments are nothing more than useful idiots for our competitors. It's amazing how well misinformation and scare tactics have torpedoed our competitiveness.
It is truly stunning.

Canadians are so busy worrying what other people think of them then looking out for their own best interests.

A famous quote from Buffett about poker (or business) sums it up nicely:

"If you've been in the game for awhile and don't know who the patsy is, you're the patsy."

Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #1893
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Probably one of the greatest PR blunders ever. Completely mismanaged from the get go.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #1894
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to encourage people who support getting Canadian resources to tidewater to voice their support for a much needed $36Bn project.

Use this link:

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/document-e...ocument=104787

Opposition from a very vocal minority is strong. It would be nice to see some of the silent majority start to push back.

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 03-09-2016 at 09:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #1895
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Following up on my above post, the deadline for submission of comments is this Friday.

If you take the time to read through some of the responses already posted, it is quite clear that a very vocal (and uninformed) minority is trying to hijack the process.

There has been a lot of hand wringing around Calgary (and in the Canadian energy industry in general) about not being able to get our resources to tidewater, and the efforts of various environmental special interest groups to dubiously delay Canadian energy projects.

Here is a chance to have your voice heard. Do it in a reasoned and thoughtful manner. Show that you care. Show that you understand the issues. Let the government know that the interest of Canada as a whole should be put before the (biased) interests of a very vocal few.

I don't want to turn this into a Jihad request, simply a request that those who have voiced frustration in the past channel that frustration productively.

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 03-09-2016 at 09:57 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #1896
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least one good thing happened today because of poor government policies. The boc held the interest rate at 0.5%. With Trudeau running the country I can actually see lending rates dropping even more.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #1897
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

For example, some of the comments lodged against the project, you'll notice a very common theme:

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/documents/p80032/106780E.pdf

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/documents/p80032/106778E.pdf

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/documents/p80032/106773E.pdf

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/documents/p80032/107093E.pdf

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/documents/p80032/107086E.pdf

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #1898
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be nice to see him get something out of this agreement although I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Canada, U.S. agree to cut methane emissions from oil and gas industry by almost half by 2025

http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=3156-1947
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #1899
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
It would be nice to see him get something out of this agreement although I highly doubt it.
We are getting something. Half as much climate warming methane emissions.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #1900
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
We are getting something. Half as much climate warming methane emissions.
Half as much from oil and gas;

We also need to feed our cattle BeanO

Last edited by Leeman4Gilmour; 03-10-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post: