Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
What!?!?!?! The kid looked really good, why wouldn't they?
Sometimes they don’t qualify because they don’t want to pay that amount or get into arbitration, but they still are prepared to negotiate a new deal. This is the only way to do it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #102
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
So the owners should be happy to flush $10M down the crapper and waste a year of a contract? So we only get four years of Eichel in your scenario?
Yeah. I don’t think I’d spend $10 million on a player that didn’t have an immediate impact.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #103
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He's arb-eligible. Doesn't mean they won't try and sign him anyway.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #104
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did he play with Kane last year?

If he did, hawks probably recognize that his stats are inflated.

Didn't Strome have a good season when he first got there because he was playing with Kane, then when they took Kane away, his production plummeted?
Old 07-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #105
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I mean, I'd take a shot on a 2 way deal. Fresh start for the guy and a RHS in the depth department is never a bad thing.
Honka honka
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #106
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Except Mangiapane dominated the AHL and there was year over year progression. I don't know you can say that about these 3 guys. Stats aren't everything but if you can't average a point per game in the AHL as an expected point producer, there's going to be a lot of hesitation.

Phillips and Ruzicka have good skills though, they "look" like they have NHL talent, but they also need to put up the points. If they can put up a point per game season in the AHL this year, I think they deserve a legitimate crack at the roster the following season.

Gawdin projects as a bottom six guy so points shouldn't be the main measure but he did have a near point per game pace in the AHL in 2019-2020 so I actually think he should be the 13th forward in Calgary this year and play maybe 40 games switching in and out of the line up with a veteran like Trevor Lewis.

But yeah, I don't think the 3 of them have much value in trades. Ruzicka maybe a bit more than the other two, due to the projection.
Yeah I don't expect any of them to have the same impact at the NHL that Mangi has, mmmmaaaaybe Ruzicka, with a little luck. But they all have some sort of NHL potential still.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #107
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
At the end of the last Trade thread lots of talk of graduating up guys like Phillips, Ruzicka and Gawdin…… we have way too positive of light on our prospects. These guys are PTO fodder in the rest of the league guys come on. Gawdin is a plug, looked completely lost in the time he got into the line up. Probably need to give another brief, and very brief, look at Phillips. Everyone always compares him to other small guys such as Yamamoto or Caufield, but he isn’t in that class. He isn’t strong enough on this skates relative to those other guys so probably won’t be able to transition to the NHL. These are a group of career AHLers, let’s accept that and quit putting them on pedestals like they are the next group of saviours.
The only players in our farm system that I think could make our roster and add any value are Mackey, Rinaldo (not sure if he was in the AHL), Robinson and Kylington. All are free agents and I’m not sure if Rinaldo and Kylington aren’t considered roster players. Pelletier might also be good enough but I’m judging that on the world juniors.

If they were on the roster they would be 4th line or bottom D pairing players.

But straight AHL call ups? There’s literally almost nothing. That’s the Flames real problem and why there’s so much talk about free agents or rebuilds on here.

Last edited by Goriders; 07-26-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #108
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames' QOs will be interesting to see later today. They have a lot of players who are pending RFAs, but none of them have big QOs. Not one has a QO over $900,000 and none of the players who have arbitration rights are likely to get anything backbreaking from the arbitrator.

Ryan Pike gives a rundown of the 14(!) players who will require Qualifying Offers from the Flames by 3:00pm MT, or they will become UFAs on Wednesday (really 13 because Parsons already had to be qualified to meet the expansion draft exposure requirement): https://flamesnation.ca/2021/07/25/b...ifying-offers/

I disagree with his assessment of Kylington being on the fence for a QO. His number is low and he isn't likely to be awarded more than his QO in arbitration. I'd be shocked if Kylington isn't qualified, even if it's just to retain his rights for a later trade.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #109
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The Flames' QOs will be interesting to see later today. They have a lot of players who are pending RFAs, but none of them have big QOs. Not one has a QO over $900,000 and none of the players who have arbitration rights are likely to get anything backbreaking from the arbitrator.

Ryan Pike gives a rundown of the 14(!) players who will require Qualifying Offers from the Flames by 3:00pm MT, or they will become UFAs on Wednesday (really 13 because Parsons already had to be qualified to meet the expansion draft exposure requirement): https://flamesnation.ca/2021/07/25/b...ifying-offers/

I disagree with his assessment of Kylington being on the fence for a QO. His number is low and he isn't likely to be awarded more than his QO in arbitration. I'd be shocked if Kylington isn't qualified, even if it's just to retain his rights for a later trade.
This confusing bit comes up over and over, but why does anyone at all believe Kylington has any trade value? It is pretty evident that he has 0 value... not even worth taking off waivers for another club at this point.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #110
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This confusing bit comes up over and over, but why does anyone at all believe Kylington has any trade value? It is pretty evident that he has 0 value... not even worth taking off waivers for another club at this point.
Because he is an NHL ready defenseman where you have no development costs to incur. The waiver argument is a bad one, because waivers are a contemporaneous decision point which requires that you take on the contract and guarantee the player a roster spot, meaning you have to clear a roster spot of your own using the waivers mechanism. Clearing waivers does not mean there is no interest in a player, that just at that moment the teams do not have the flexibility to take on the player on from the waiver wire. Moving a player in a situation like Kylington during the summer is much easier as the teams have much more flexibility, especially if they have to move a player with a larger contract to take on a younger, cheaper player.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #111
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Larry Brooks reporting that Nemeth is expected to sign with the Rangers once free agency begins.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/26/ranger...site%20buttons
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #112
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Because he is an NHL ready defenseman where you have no development costs to incur. The waiver argument is a bad one, because waivers are a contemporaneous decision point which requires that you take on the contract and guarantee the player a roster spot, meaning you have to clear a roster spot of your own using the waivers mechanism. Clearing waivers does not mean there is no interest in a player, that just at that moment the teams do not have the flexibility to take on the player on from the waiver wire. Moving a player in a situation like Kylington during the summer is much easier as the teams have much more flexibility, especially if they have to move a player with a larger contract to take on a younger, cheaper player.
It’s obvious the Flames don’t want Kylington

It’s hard to get any value when you are not even wanted by your own team

He will return something similar to Kulak. Basically nothing
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #113
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It’s obvious the Flames don’t want Kylington

It’s hard to get any value when you are not even wanted by your own team

He will return something similar to Kulak. Basically nothing
I think this would be such a mistake. I still have a good feeling about Kylington, I just think he needs to get some more nhl ice time.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #114
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope the Flames take a look at Jake McCabe.

Him and Tanev would be a decent defensive pair. He's put up really good defensive metrics on what's been a terrible Buffalo team these last three seasons.

Will only be 28 years old when the season starts too and probably won't command much more than $2M.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-26-2021 at 11:41 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #115
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I think this would be such a mistake. I still have a good feeling about Kylington, I just think he needs to get some more nhl ice time.
I don’t disagree but the flames had plenty of opportunities to use him but they preferred nesterov and Stone. If that doesn’t tell you they don’t want him then what does?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #116
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't qualify Kylington just to give him a chance with another organization of his choice. They've done stuff like this before.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #117
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I really hope the Flames take a look at Jake McCabe.
McCabe, Montour, and Pysyk are my UFA defensemen targets.

Hanifin-Andersson
McCabe-Tanev
Valimaki-Montour
Mackey-Pysyk

1st PP: Hanifin-Montour
2nd PP: Valimaki-Andersson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #118
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't qualify Kylington just to give him a chance with another organization of his choice. They've done stuff like this before.
Yeah I think he is history

Pretty sure Treliving couldn’t even get a 7th rounder for him or he would have been gone
Old 07-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #119
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Yeah I think he is history

Pretty sure Treliving couldn’t even get a 7th rounder for him or he would have been gone
I think you'd be over the "moon" if that happened. You know what I'm saying?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #120
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think you'd be over the "moon" if that happened. You know what I'm saying?
No, but I add it to the overflowed list of why Treliving should be fired