Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #1021
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
ok - that was AMAZING!!!! oh sweet mother!!! soooooo good!!!

for those who watched rebels... any thoughts on why bo katan accepted the dark sabre from sabine but now won't accept it from mando?

I have a couple of thoughts on this.

When Sabine handed the darksabre to Bo, it was because she had always been searching for a leader to take over the title of Mandalore, so she never had an interest in acquiring the blade for herself. However that leaves the plot hole open.

Here's what I think could close the plot hole. Bo lost the leadership because the Clans didn't accept her as the Mandalore because she accepted the blade without a fight, and it could create a subplot next year that could put her on the opposite side of Din. Its been pretty clear in the story that the Clans are fractured, I would expect that she refused to just accept it because she caused the fracture.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #1022
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I have a couple of thoughts on this.

When Sabine handed the darksabre to Bo, it was because she had always been searching for a leader to take over the title of Mandalore, so she never had an interest in acquiring the blade for herself. However that leaves the plot hole open.

Here's what I think could close the plot hole. Bo lost the leadership because the Clans didn't accept her as the Mandalore because she accepted the blade without a fight, and it could create a subplot next year that could put her on the opposite side of Din. Its been pretty clear in the story that the Clans are fractured, I would expect that she refused to just accept it because she caused the fracture.
Oh great. What we really need is an entire season of helmeted figures around a boardroom table discussing socio-economic treaties.

Because that'd be a great show. Ol' George himself might come back to direct that thriller.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #1023
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really interested in The Book of Boba Fett now.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #1024
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
You guys are really softening up my Mandalorian boner with all this TLJ talk. It’s like Homer forcing himself to imagine Barney in a polka dot bikini.
CP does have a knack for being the anti-viagara of the web.

I've seen hardcore geeks that have been complaining for 5 years post appreciation videos to Lucasfilm in the wake of that episode.

But that day when you think yourself safe and happy, you will click onto CP and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth.

If I wanted to endure in eternal dissatisfaction I would request to have my ashes scattered at the location of the servers.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-19-2020 at 10:27 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #1025
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the first season was actually better as they didn’t devote half the episodes to back door pilots for new series and spend so much time with already known SW characters. This season appeared to abandon much of the original premise instead opting to be a live action follow up to the cartoon series’. I liked the Boba Fett stuff as it worked in with season 1, a lot of the other characters felt tacked on and fan service-y. Especially the CGI Luke cameo was a bit of a groaner - like it could’ve been any other Jedi in the whole galaxy, but how long can a Star Wars thing go without shoehorning a Skywalker in somewhere, right?

I saw before the episode someone suggest Cal Kestis be the one to show up, and I think that would’ve been much stronger. It would’ve lined up with Cal’s mission from the end of the game, the game used the actor’s likeness so they could’ve had no awkward CGI, then would’ve afforded some interesting crossover ideas for Jedi Fallen Order 2.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #1026
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
the CGI Luke cameo was a bit of a groaner - like it could’ve been any other Jedi in the whole galaxy, but how long can a Star Wars thing go without shoehorning a Skywalker in somewhere, right?

Ahsoka mentioned that there are hardly any Jedi left (maybe 3 or 4? I'm sure the hardcore nerds can answer that question). To me it makes sense that Luke would be the one to answer Grogu's call, as he'd probably be the most powerful and well-known Jedi during this time period.

I'm with you in that I really hope they don't suddenly turn this series into the adventures of Luke & Grogu. And I agree that they should stay away from the Skywalkers from here on out. But c'mon man, that entire sequence was f'n awesome. You can't tell me that didn't put a huge smile on your face and make your inner 10-year old squeal with joy. I mean yea, it was total fan service. But it was just so damn enjoyable.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #1027
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I loved it and getting to see how strong Beskarr is was really cool, but I have questions. Mainly what happens to Grogru, which I can see I am not alone on. Time will tell obviously but I could see Grogu happening to be conveniently off world with another Jedi when Kylo destroyed the order, there is around 20 years for another Jedi to either show up or be trained.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #1028
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think the first season was actually better as they didn’t devote half the episodes to back door pilots for new series and spend so much time with already known SW characters. This season appeared to abandon much of the original premise instead opting to be a live action follow up to the cartoon series’. I liked the Boba Fett stuff as it worked in with season 1, a lot of the other characters felt tacked on and fan service-y. Especially the CGI Luke cameo was a bit of a groaner - like it could’ve been any other Jedi in the whole galaxy, but how long can a Star Wars thing go without shoehorning a Skywalker in somewhere, right?

I saw before the episode someone suggest Cal Kestis be the one to show up, and I think that would’ve been much stronger. It would’ve lined up with Cal’s mission from the end of the game, the game used the actor’s likeness so they could’ve had no awkward CGI, then would’ve afforded some interesting crossover ideas for Jedi Fallen Order 2.

If you go back to comments in this thread about last season's episodes most of the criticisms levied against the show were that in many episodes nothing of importance to the greater "save The Child" narrative happened. So-called "filler episodes". I think the same criticism could be made for this past season, but it's being papered over with references to the original films, the extended universe and the cartoons.

Today's tastes in entertainment are such that episodic television is unpalatable, and shows the likes of Law & Order or Star Trek: the Next Generation—where the week's previous episode was usually never spoken of or referenced ever again—would be DOA. When you're basing your new TV show on Star Wars it's just too tantalizing to resist referencing other works in that 'universe', partly because lots and lots of the fans absolutely adore "fan service", and partly because people won't put up with the pacing and episodic plots that The Mandalorian is really a loving homage to: old Westerns.

I spoke of Law & Order above because there's a reason SVU is still on TV and its progenitor was cancelled ten years ago. The original L&O was a crime-of-the-week show where we barely got to know the main characters outside of work. SVU always delved further into its characters' personal lives and maintained season-spanning background story lines. In classic Westerns you often didn't learn any great details about the gunslinger protagonist, but modern audiences won't put up with that.

I also referenced TNG specifically because many of the same problems you've seen with this season of The Mandalorian you see throughout the run of Star Trek: Discovery. Discovery is essentially built on references to prior Star Trek characters and stories. That's all that show is about: references to other Star Trek shows. (That's all the recent movies ever were too.)

The Mandalorian is threading a fine line with it. This season has been much the same as last, in that Mando spent episodes travelling to new places and meeting new people and nothing overarchingly "important" to the greater narrative happened, but by the end of the season he's in enough peril that he rounds up the people he's met over the season to help him overcome his dilemma. It's an old trope and they do it very well. What was different about this season vs. last is that the motley group of characters Mando met last season (the Ugnaught... "Khuill?" sp?, Cara Dune, Greef Karga, Fennic Shand, etc.) were entirely new characters and this season lots of them were characters we already knew (Boba Fett, Bo-Katan, Luke Skywalker). There's a bit of a danger to what they're doing because it doesn't take much to push the narrative from simply "interweaving our stories with other stories in the known 'universe'" to "fan service", and just a half-step even further into "our own characters are not interesting enough to support our own narratives, so we're going to shore it up with references to other shows' characters and events" (e.g. Star Trek: Discovery).

So far I'm enjoying the ride and I'm not too proud to admit that I was giddy to see a still-young, post-ROTJ Luke, even if it was "fan service" and something of a deus ex machina ending. It was cathartic, as others have said, to see what Luke in his prime was capable of. I think it also serves the story well because there is some logic to showing Mando what Grogu really could be capable of and hence why he ought to let him go, despite how terribly sad he is to do so. It also serves well to show why the Empire and people like Gideon were/are terrified of Jedi Knights. Whether it was director Peyton Reed's idea or someone else's it was brilliant to shoot Luke's scenes very much like the Vader scenes in Rogue One, to show that even nigh-invincible super-robots are, to borrow a phrase, "insignificant next to the power of the Force". Even if we know Luke's motivations are virtuous it makes Gideon and other 'Imps' a little more believable to see them just as afraid of a cloaked man with a lightsaber as the rebels were of Vader. Seeing them recoil in horror at the sight of Luke makes their motivations seem a little greyer. There's an old saying that the best villains are ones that convincingly believe they're the heroes of their own stories, and that becomes a lot easier to believe when you see the protagonists looking like villains.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #1029
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post above - I will say I still enjoyed the show immensely, I was just more excited at the first season of the prospects of where things were going. Now with the mystery of Grogu resolved, it feels like it will just be sequel to the cartoon shows with Bo Karan and Mandalore power struggles and such. I find that much less intriguing.

Excited for the Boba Fett stuff though!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #1030
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great post above - I will say I still enjoyed the show immensely, I was just more excited at the first season of the prospects of where things were going. Now with the mystery of Grogu resolved, it feels like it will just be sequel to the cartoon shows with Bo Karan and Mandalore power struggles and such. I find that much less intriguing.

Excited for the Boba Fett stuff though!
Yeah, the Boba Fett stuff was interesting. I am worried about the show moving forward though.

They havent told us why 're-taking' Mandalore is important, who exactly it is that cares enough to undertake this quest and why and whether that planet is actually a molten wasteland so why would anyone want it? Or who Bo Katan is or why we should care.

None of these things interest me. I liked that they didnt interest Boba Fett either and so he peaced out. Presumably to take some Vengeance.

Also, I think the Galactic Republic needs to take a long, hard look at their power demographics and seriously consider re-locating the Galactic Capital Planet from Coruscant to Tattooine.

Tattooine seems like the most pivotal linchpin planet in the Galaxy. If its important it seems to have to go through Tattooine.

Not really what one tends to expect from a barren, lifeless sand planet in the middle of nowhere and yet here we are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #1031
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

They havent told us why 're-taking' Mandalore is important, who exactly it is that cares enough to undertake this quest and why and whether that planet is actually a molten wasteland so why would anyone want it? Or who Bo Katan is or why we should care.

None of these things interest me.

Yea, I have no interest in the Bo Katan/Dark Saber stuff either. Personally I'd like to see more standalone episodes where Mando wanders the galaxy Mad Max-style, providing help to people who need it along the way and getting back into the bounty hunting business.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #1032
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yea, I have no interest in the Bo Katan/Dark Saber stuff either. Personally I'd like to see more standalone episodes where Mando wanders the galaxy Mad Max-style, providing help to people who need it along the way and getting back into the bounty hunting business.
Ditto. But hes going to need a ship, so getting a new ship could be a fun episode.

Hes also going to need to lose that Darksaber. Thats just too powerful a weapon for him to have around on a daily basis. Besides, I like the Staff.

I take the same attitude as Boba Fett: "You want Mandalore? Fine. Have at 'er. Go get it. I dont care so I'm going to do whatever I want."

And technically Mando completed his quest, returned Grogu to his people and now he should get back to his important and lucrative business of roundin' up varmints and exterminating monsters.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #1033
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

No one has mentioned Thrawn in a while (maybe in the long posts but I'm too lazy to read those). Is he going to be the bad guy next season or will we see him in the other shows instead?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #1034
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Not really what one tends to expect from a barren, lifeless sand planet in the middle of nowhere and yet here we are.

And that's why it keeps ending up important. Running away from a trade federation? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

Want a woman to get pregnant without actually boning and want it to be noticed by the fewest people possible? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

Want to run the center of a crime empire and not get bothered? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

Want to hide a kid from the empire while also still being able to keep an eye on him? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #1035
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
And that's why it keeps ending up important. Running away from a trade federation? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

Want a woman to get pregnant without actually boning and want it to be noticed by the fewest people possible? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

Want to run the center of a crime empire and not get bothered? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.

Want to hide a kid from the empire while also still being able to keep an eye on him? #### it, barren desert planet in the middle of butt #### no where.
Somewhere...the Mayor of Tattooine....obviously played by Bob Odenkirk, is wondering why all of this insane crap happens on the crappy planet he just so happens to run.

I would watch that show.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #1036
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Bit late to the party, but wow that was unexpected. I did not expect to see Luke there at all. Makes sense though, if Grogu is calling other Jedi, and there aren't many left, and Luke is running a Jedi school, why else would answer? Feel kind of dumb for not figuring it out earlier.

Also, love how they used Luke's powers. He's a highly trained Jedi at this point, and now works the powers into his combat skills... As opposed to just blowing up entire space ships at a distance.

Also love the direction they're going with Boba. My biggest complaint with the series was how moral they were making Boba. He's was the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy, and Vader had to warn him to tone it down. Having him take over Jabba's palace makes sense. It's like a King Conan type of thing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #1037
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not much else to say that hasn't been said. That's as close to a Star Wars masterpiece as you'll ever see.

Did anyone mention the similarities between Luke pwning those dark troopers and Vader rag-dolling rebels in Rogue One? I thought that was pretty dang cool. It sounds weird, but I'm happy for Mark Hamill. I feel like they done him wrong prior to this.

This is what you get when you let artists like Favreau and Filoni create art. Instead of having focus groups and committees try to maximize sales and profits.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #1038
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
So if the one extra guy was there and it was 4 women + 1 man kicking ass, does your daughter no longer love it?

Honest question, I don't have kids.
LOL - no. She loves the show regardless but when there's a group of girls given screentime to kick ass - that's something that she notices and mentions - it makes her happy.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #1039
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Presumably that is what the next season is for. They'll either do a good job and make the audience care about that the way they made the audience care about the kid, later Grogu, as a sort of living MacGuffin, or they won't. But they've done a good enough job so far.
Quote:
Tattooine seems like the most pivotal linchpin planet in the Galaxy. If its important it seems to have to go through Tattooine.

The issue is that Tatooine is the only place they've really shown that can actually serve as a setting for a space western, and Star Wars is at its best when it's a space western. But they definitely need some more planets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yup, those are generally the best episodes. It's going to be tough for them to pull off if they split the whole thing up the way Filoni often did with TCW - an Ashoka story arc followed by a Clone Trooper story ark followed by an Anakin and Obi Wan story arc followed by a droid story arc, or a Padme arc, or whatever.

It's do-able, if you just tell individual star wars stories that are well constructed, but they had a good thing going with Mando and Grogu and now they've dropped that. Which I don't blame them for, you can only milk that dynamic so long before it gets stale. But transitioning to the show being about something else, and having that something else be equally or more compelling such that the show maintains its quality, is going to be a tall order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
No one has mentioned Thrawn in a while (maybe in the long posts but I'm too lazy to read those). Is he going to be the bad guy next season or will we see him in the other shows instead?
I suspect he's the bad guy in the Ahsoka series. Is that going to be live action?
Quote:
Somewhere...the Mayor of Tattooine....obviously played by Bob Odenkirk, is wondering why all of this insane crap happens on the crappy planet he just so happens to run.
I would watch that show.
Add this to the list of "things I didn't know I wanted and now want."
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Also, love how they used Luke's powers. He's a highly trained Jedi at this point, and now works the powers into his combat skills... As opposed to just blowing up entire space ships at a distance
I thought it was cool and all, but I thought they made him too powerful. Or more accurately, they made the dark troopers too powerful and terrifying in its initial fight against Din, such that when Luke makes hilariously easy work of a dozen or more of them, he either looks like some sort of force-wielding God creature, or Din (and anyone who has ever fought Din) looks incredibly weak. So that was unfortunate. But I'm probably nitpicking.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #1040
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Luke is a "force-wielding God creature". As I said earlier showing Luke actually flexing his powers and skills shows us why the villains wanted to use Grogu: Jedi/Sith with those abilities can be a one-man army capable of absolutely wrrrrrrrrecking most of their opponents.

I just hope they very, very sparingly show Luke again, if ever. He needs to remain a mythical figure to give any further mention of Jedi/Sith—and I'm sure there will be many—the weight it needs.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote