Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Japanese restart commercial whale hunting

After a 30 year moratorium Japan has restarted hunting whales. I hated this then when Whales were hunted to near extinction, I hate it now.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...source=twitter

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Despicable.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #4
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gross. I had whale in Oslo several years ago. Sooooo salty, don't know how people eat it.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Gross. I had whale in Oslo several years ago. Sooooo salty, don't know how people eat it.
Eat it? I just want to burn it's fat for light.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #6
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Sea Sheppard crew sinks those ships.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“It’s part of Japan’s food culture,” said Sakai, adding that she ate a lot of whale as a child. “The world opposes killing whales, but you can say the same thing about many of the animals bred on land and killed for food.”
Can someone explain this line of thinking to me? She's comparing chicken farms or ranching to hunting whales? It's almost like some of these people feel entitled to eat it today because they did as a kid. I'm not an expert on the earth's whale population but I imagine that hunting them will have a long term effect on them or it wouldn't have been stopped 30 years ago.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The only reason the one single Whaling company exists in Iceland is because of Japan's market, even though finally lots of Icelander's are pushing for us to stop the small amount of whaling we do, its stupid nationalism and pride that keeps many from supporting it.

The more Greenpeace, outsiders tell Iceland to stop whaling, the more stubborn and resistant people get here, even those on the sidelines who have no strong feelings.

It's so frustrating, but we are making progress.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can someone explain this line of thinking to me? She's comparing chicken farms or ranching to hunting whales? It's almost like some of these people feel entitled to eat it today because they did as a kid. I'm not an expert on the earth's whale population but I imagine that hunting them will have a long term effect on them or it wouldn't have been stopped 30 years ago.
What is special about a Whale vs a chicken? Why is hunting deer different from hunting Whale

Really the question should be asked are the methods of hunting reasonably humane (the poultry industry probably fails here) and have populations recovered sufficiently that a sustainable fishery can be managed.

The minke whale is one of the whales they hunt and it currently has a sustainable population and is not at risk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink...rvation_status

Last edited by GGG; 07-02-2019 at 07:55 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What is special about a Whale vs a chicken? Why is hunting deer different from hunting Whale

Really the question should be asked are the methods of hunting reasonably humane (the poultry industry probably fails here) and have populations recovered sufficiently that a sustainable fishery can be managed.
I think the answer here is fairly obvious. How many species of deer are endangered or threatened?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I think the answer here is fairly obvious. How many species of deer are endangered or threatened?
A quick google search and a click bate website suggests that 23 species of deer are endangered or threatened. But that isn't the correct question.

Are the whales that the Japanese hunting endangered? I checked the Minke and it isn't at risk though the Antarctic one is.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think one thing that makes hunting whales different from deer is that you can select a male deer whereas the Japanese killed about 125 pregnant females last year in the name of science. As another poster said, no one eats whales anymore. This is not going to be a profitable industry.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried beluga in Tuktoyaktuk . It was like chewing on a hunk of fish flavoured rubber. Would not try again.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
A quick google search and a click bate website suggests that 23 species of deer are endangered or threatened. But that isn't the correct question.

Are the whales that the Japanese hunting endangered? I checked the Minke and it isn't at risk through the Antarctic one is.
Much of what the Japanese crave most from seafood is at risk or endangered, they are aggressively fishing all over the world, without any thought to the health of future fish and whale stocks.

Their appetite is ferocious and culturally they just seem to not care.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #15
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think one thing that makes hunting whales different from deer is that you can select a male deer whereas the Japanese killed about 125 pregnant females last year in the name of science. As another poster said, no one eats whales anymore. This is not going to be a profitable industry.
This is a good point that I hadn't thought of. Male deer (males in almost every species actually) are biologically worthless, the females are orders of magnitude more important.

I'm far from an environmentalist especially by today's standards but I wish that they could make whaling illegal, for a bunch of the reasons mentioned. I'd also like to ban whale watching and any other group that makes it their business to harass these animals. South Park made a interesting point in their episode about this that Whales and Dolphins are just as arbitrary as chicken and cows but the big difference is you can farm these land based animals and there's no danger of either going extinct and leaving a massive whole in the ecosystem. Thank goodness petroleum oil was discovered just in time in the 1860's to replace whale oil otherwise they'd have disappeared long time ago.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found this on some of the issues for the species they are targeting:
Quote:
“There are two types of minke whale exploited off the coast of Japan,” he told AFP.
The one found in coastal waters — in the Sea of Japan, the East China Sea and the Yellow Sea — is quite severely depleted due to a long history of catches by Japan and South Korea.
Besides those targeted by whalers, others die after getting caught up in netting set for fish, he explained.
Known as the ‘J stock’, the coast-hugging minke (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) are highly unusual among baleen, or filter-feeding, whales because they breed during the summer rather than the winter.
Surveys by Japanese and South Korean fisheries agencies have estimated their numbers at about 1,500, Cooke said in an interview.
The more plentiful ‘O stock’ minke — which breed in summer and number about 25,000 — are found further north in the Sea of Okhotsk, in Russian waters.

The other subspecies is found in Japan’s southern waters and supports a local whale-watching industry. Also known as Eden’s whale, they number just under 170, according to a 20-year old stocktake, Cooke said.
For the endangered Sei whale, experts disagree on how to characterise its population.
“Japanese scientists insist that there is only one (population) in the whole North Pacific,” said Cooke. “But they have only collected data from the offshore area.”
A competing hypothesis is that the region is home to five distinct populations, including one along the western coast that will now be hunted for its meat.
The latest estimate for this subgroup is about 400, Cook said.

https://www.thejournal.ie/whaling-ja...05896-Jul2019/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The minke whale is one of the whales they hunt and it currently has a sustainable population and is not at risk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink...rvation_status
Chicken aren't remotely close to endangered. In fact they are bred for consumption. The humane angle is not really relative to this discussion as that's a different topic. The fact you used the word "sustainable" for whales vs chickens makes the premise of your argument pretty ridiculous.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chicken aren't remotely close to endangered. In fact they are bred for consumption. The humane angle is not really relative to this discussion as that's a different topic. The fact you used the word "sustainable" for whales vs chickens makes the premise of your argument pretty ridiculous.
I didn't use the word sustainable for whales vs chickens

It wasn't clear whether you were objecting on humane grounds where the Whale vs Chicken question is very valid or whether you were objecting on sustainability grounds in which case Whale vs Deer is a reasonable comparison

Also I didn't make an argument that whaling should be uniformly allowed. I suggested that the framework should be based on sustainability and humaneness rather than a moral objection.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #19
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I read that as maybe trying to draw a line to the one billion+ people who find it sacrilegious that we eat cow? That would certainly count.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote