Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #3321
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I use a VPN and set my country to Mexico. Then I order it from Fite.TV for $19.99 USD.
I do this on my firestick, it's super easy
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:25 AM   #3322
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that was easily the best wrestling PPV I've seen so far this year.

When AEW sticks to their formula of just putting on good wrestling matches, it's generally enjoyable. They just need to stop dipping their toes into the over the top sports entertainment stuff that requires really good production quality/effects, as that's more WWE's wheelhouse.
The only thing I wish was that they saved the wargames match for last night

Stadium stampede had some fun moments, but in front of the full live crowd I think war games, or even some other type of match would have hit better.

But outside of that it was great, for a 4 hour show nothing dragged, the crowd was.hot the whole time until stadium stampede. Not a bad match.

WWE hasn't put out a card that good top to bottom in years imo. They have had maybe some individual higher highs like anything Roman is involved in, but that entire card was awesome and like you said they don't know how to master the production quality so just stick to the basics.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #3323
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minor nitpick is Cody didn't need to win, unless this is a master plan to turn him heel, ogogo gains way more from a win last night than Cody.

On the positive side, AEW has some.absolutely incredible young guys who continue to shine

Jungle boy is massively over, that newish music Jurassic express comes out too is amazing with the crowd, him and Kenny will be fun, and only 2 weeks away

MJF is just perfect on the mic, for his age, this is bordering on rock levels

Sammy Guevara was the best part of stadium stampede and the fact they gave him the pin is a big deal. He needs to wrestle more, I'm hoping with inner circle winning that they at least give Sammy his own fued, and Santana and Ortiz need to get back in the tag title picture.

Britt is bordering on being the most over in the whole company

Darby too doesn't have a bad match and is benefitting big time from the sting stuff
Old 05-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #3324
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I use a VPN and set my country to Mexico. Then I order it from Fite.TV for $19.99 USD.
Dang, should have done that instead!
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #3325
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Britt is bordering on being the most over in the whole company
The parallels between Britt's career trajectory and The Rock's are interesting. She started off as a whitemeat babyface who couldn't connect with the fans, switched over to a cocky heel, and now is one of the most over performers in the company. Obviously I'm not predicting her to become the mega-superstar that The Rock became, but really shows how crucial it is to reinvent yourself if things aren't working.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:25 PM   #3326
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile, WWE has decided that people really need to see McIntyre vs. Lashley for the eleventy billionth time.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:21 PM   #3327
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The parallels between Britt's career trajectory and The Rock's are interesting. She started off as a whitemeat babyface who couldn't connect with the fans, switched over to a cocky heel, and now is one of the most over performers in the company. Obviously I'm not predicting her to become the mega-superstar that The Rock became, but really shows how crucial it is to reinvent yourself if things aren't working.
Ya I hadn't thought about the rock but it makes a ton of sense

I almost posted linking her run as close to what Becky lynch did a few years ago, similar white meat babyface that was kind of doing nothing special, went more aggressive and fans bought in right away, then has an iconic look with a bloody face and just went supernova
Old 06-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #3328
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Meanwhile, WWE has decided that people really need to see McIntyre vs. Lashley for the eleventy billionth time.
I'm really not watching Raw, I get the high light clips on youtube and if it looks interesting I have it recorded. But honestly I just deleted it.

Right now I'm really only casual on the Wrestling front, I'll watch Smackdown and NXT and zip Raw. But I might cut back even more.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #3329
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm really not watching Raw, I get the high light clips on youtube and if it looks interesting I have it recorded. But honestly I just deleted it.

Right now I'm really only casual on the Wrestling front, I'll watch Smackdown and NXT and zip Raw. But I might cut back even more.
Yeah, I'll read the Raw recaps just to see if there is anything worth checking out on YouTube, but there generally hasn't been anything lately. Smackdown doesn't really work for me because I usually have stuff to do on Friday nights.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #3330
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Raw and Smackdown are no go's for me (although if I had to pick, Smackdown). NXT is if I can make it, and AEW is my main show. Frankly I'm getting more into just straight wrestling skill and less acrobatics (this is what NXT and AEW is to me a lot lately), so I'm thinking of checking out NJPW Strong more frequently on Fridays.

Also, I am happy to see Jungle Boy getting his dues. He is massively over and is obviously one of the future pillars for AEW going forward (with Darby, MJF and Sammy).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #3331
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Last weeks ratings

Smackdown: 1.75 Million last week 1.83

RAW: 1.62 last week 1.82

Million NXT: 698,000 last week 698,000, 700,000

aew: 526,000 last week 821,000, week before 936,000

Old 06-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #3332
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Raw and Smackdown are no go's for me (although if I had to pick, Smackdown). NXT is if I can make it, and AEW is my main show. Frankly I'm getting more into just straight wrestling skill and less acrobatics (this is what NXT and AEW is to me a lot lately), so I'm thinking of checking out NJPW Strong more frequently on Fridays.

Also, I am happy to see Jungle Boy getting his dues. He is massively over and is obviously one of the future pillars for AEW going forward (with Darby, MJF and Sammy).

I'm pretty much mostly NXT, but I've even skipped shows on that. I think my interest in today's wrestling is waning. I'm more interested in older stuff.

BTW that Mick Foley Biography was really well done. It bought back a lot of memories of some really solid work from Mick especially in ECW and his early WWE days. We also got to see more of the long sought after Story of Frank Foley.

He finally admitted that he went to TNA for a cash grab and didn't really enjoy wrestling, they also hinted at the amount of damage he has sustained in terms of a long period of even withdrawing from his family and hiding from the world.

The worst thing about it is you can see just how much of a toll his style has taken on him when they showed him moving and walking.

Next weeks biography should be very good as it covers the Hitman.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #3333
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though I admit to being pretty much a pure casual at this point, this still seems pretty surprising? Braun seemed pretty over and wasn't he a World Champ like last year?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1400113863450841098
Old 06-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #3334
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Braun is a big surprise. Black, Riott, and Murphy shouldn't be out of work for long. They'd all be good fits in AEW.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #3335
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's like Vince is trying to help out other companies but thinks bringing back Eva Marie is a good move.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #3336
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Braun is a huge one, but he was over at one point and is still to an extent but he was kind of getting lost in the back wash.

Lana will go to AEW to manage her husband. I always thought she was a try hard but platued worker.

Black is a surprise he was getting a good push and a new character.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #3337
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Speculation seems to be with this, the backstage releases and selling the Network to Peacock that they are prepping for a sale. Would Vince actually do that though?
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #3338
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crossing fingers that Black and Murphy are snatched up ASAP by NJPW/AEW.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #3339
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

AEW has a massive roster right now, I'd say its bloated. Riot would be good for the woman's division, she's under rated. Poor Liv though, first Sara and the Ruby.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #3340
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
AEW has a massive roster right now, I'd say its bloated. Riot would be good for the woman's division, she's under rated. Poor Liv though, first Sara and the Ruby.
A lot of that bloat though is younger talent who are too green to be on Dynamite every week, and older enhancement talent. They're also getting an additional show on Fridays, so there should be some room to spread that talent out. Murphy, Black, and Ruby are all talented enough to be on Dynamite every week.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: