Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #1221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice to see Everton relegated. I could live with that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #1222
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It would be nice to see Everton relegated. I could live with that.
If both Everton and WHU windup bottom three I think that we should host a big bash to celebrate.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #1223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If both Everton and WHU windup bottom three I think that we should host a big bash to celebrate.
Agreed.

Just reading up on that game and they posted a pretty impressive Spurs stat:

Spoilered for enormous image.

Spoiler!
http://www.espn.com/soccer/tottenham-hotspur/story/3347407/harry-kane-becomes-tottenhams-record-premier-league-goal-scorer

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #1224
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has a real chance at Shearers record for PL goals of 260

Also his ratio is crazy at 0.72 per game, assuming he gets to 100 in the next few games that will be the highest ratio of anyone above 100

Henry and Aguero both at 0.69, Shearer at 0.59, Wright at 0.53, RVP 0.51. Only others over 0.50
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #1225
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sanchez to City made more sense in the summer when we had no idea that they'd end up being one of the most dominant PL teams ever, but yeah right now it really doesn't. If anything bringing him now in threatens to disrupt what seems to be a group who enjoy playing together, especially with the rumours he's not very well liked in the Arsenal room. It also wouldn't surprised me to see Chelsea get involved and for Wenger to sell to them instead of United out of spite to Mourinho. I think that could be a big impediment in the end, unless United go over the top to sign him.

He isn’t well liked in the Arsenal room because he is professional, has a drive to win and knows he is surrounded by teammates that think they’re part of a country club.

To top it off they are led by a deluded manager that has refuses to acknowledge the game passed him by a decade ago.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #1226
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I do not want to see him nor Ozil anywhere near United.

Both of them would instantly become your two best players.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #1227
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do not want to see him nor Ozil anywhere near United.
sorry, I don't get it. Sanchez is an amazing player that is clearly fed up with being at a club that is still hanging on to a manager who should have left years ago and that is full of players who can't be bothered to give a crap. His quality is, in my opinion, undeniable. As for Özil, I'd be more wary ... primarily because I've never liked him. He's always struck me as a luxury player who disappears in big games. But Sanchez ... it's a no-brainer, really.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #1228
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He isn’t well liked in the Arsenal room because he is professional, has a drive to win and knows he is surrounded by teammates that think they’re part of a country club.
Really? Because I'm reading the opposite. That his team mates are pissed with his attitude. That he has for the most part mailed it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Both of them would instantly become your two best players.
Based on what?
Their performances this season?

Last edited by Bagor; 01-13-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #1229
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
sorry, I don't get it. Sanchez is an amazing player that is clearly fed up with being at a club that is still hanging on to a manager who should have left years ago and that is full of players who can't be bothered to give a crap. His quality is, in my opinion, undeniable. As for Özil, I'd be more wary ... primarily because I've never liked him. He's always struck me as a luxury player who disappears in big games. But Sanchez ... it's a no-brainer, really.
I'm not denying his quality. I question his attitude when things get tough.

Will he be a short term benefit? Yes. A very short term. Long term, I don't see the benefit of him. We don't need him just now. I don't see him playing the squad game.

Agree with Ozil. Too patchy.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #1230
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
they posted a pretty impressive Spurs stat:
That Kane and Sheringham have scored ~250 Tottenham goals between them with nothing to show for it?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #1231
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I would take Sanchez at Spurs in a heartbeat. He's the best player they have, and it's not close. The guys is world class, and if he's mailing it in I think that's more to do with his surroundings than anything else. I wouldn't want Ozil though.

Quote:
That Kane and Sheringham have scored ~250 Tottenham goals between them with nothing to show for it?
It's rather embarrassing that you can't give credit where it's due. Kane is an absolute monster at this point. At least we can take solace when you're cheering for him in June though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #1232
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if he's mailing it in I think that's more to do with his surroundings than anything else.
Yes, it's all Arsenal's fault. No reason to question his attitude or temperament at all.

Quote:
It's rather embarrassing that you can't give credit where it's due. Kane is an absolute monster at this point. At least we can take solace when you're cheering for him in June though.
Of course he's a monster. I'm not taking credit from him. It's fantastic what he's achieved. I'm simply pointing out the obvious ...again. He will want something to show at the end of his career. That before that ... like him, his predecessor for scoring records won nothing and had to move to obtain silverware. Why so sensitive?

And why would I be cheering for him in June? I imagine United won't sign him till after the WC?

Last edited by Bagor; 01-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 AM   #1233
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not denying his quality. I question his attitude when things get tough.

Will he be a short term benefit? Yes. A very short term. Long term, I don't see the benefit of him. We don't need him just now. I don't see him playing the squad game.

Agree with Ozil. Too patchy.
disagree. They might not "need" him in a sense that they need a savior up front, but they could very well use his quality. Ibra is in his twilights and as good as gone, while Mkhitaryan apparently is on his way out as well. Rashford has been inconsistent all season. Sanchez could play on the right, he could play in the middle just off Lukaku, and he could even play up front instead of Lukaku. It's obvious that they want another star attacker and there's no guarantee that Griezmann or Dybala would even want to come. Why not sign Sanchez at a much lower price instead if the opportunity is there? Plus, stealing him from Pep would be a nice added bonus, at least in my book.

As for short-term vs. long-term ... he's 29, just as Mkhitaryan is. He could very well have another 3 peak years ahead of him. I'd take that in a heartbeat. And honestly - with Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and Lingard, I don't think the long-term is a concern right now.

I kind of get the concerns regarding his attitude, but no one really knows the full picture here.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #1234
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he's out of Arsenal's squad today so you would imagine this resolves itself one way or another in the next few days. United are apparently offering £350,000 a week, which seems kinda desperate, but I suppose United are kinda desperate so that makes sense.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #1235
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wenger really should have left after the FA Cup win. Now his exit will be in shame via the sack. Hopefully the games managed record is worth it to him.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #1236
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

happy for Bournemouth.

they said it best on DAZN over here: "Bournemouth beats Arsenal ... or: determination beats talent."
Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #1237
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
but I suppose United are kinda desperate so that makes sense.
How so exactly?

The league is over. I don't see anything to alarm me that they are desperately clinging onto a top four spot. The FA cup whilst nice is not a must win trophy and the CL is I would say out of their grasp this season.

Why get desperate when this is as good a time as any to sit back, reevaluate and plan long term. Save that 350k week and throw it and a significant donation towards a stadium loan towards someone younger and more long term, not someone that wants to be at United because it's not Arsenal.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #1238
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What a difference it would make to have competent goalkeeping.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #1239
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Getting Sanchez is a now or never proposition, if he gets to the summer he'll go to City and get the huge signing bonus. And it's United, they can always get Sanchez and Dybala. If he's willing to come, might as well take the sure thing no? I agree the attitude concerns are a potential issue, and he will be 30 this time next year, but he's in the discussion for top 5 players in the league when he's fully on, United don't have an outfield player like that right now.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-14-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #1240
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbeaten season appears to be over. Brilliant from Liverpool.